22/1/2014 4:53 pm  #26

Re: Gary Giddins Book - Volume 2

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

David, funny you should mention the Going Hollywood series. Geoff Milne (who produced it) has enough material for vol. 5 and he has it in mind to prepare it if he can find a record company that's interested.

I wish Sepia would pick up that project! Those 4 volumes that Geoff did with Jasmine are terrific and among my favorite CDs! I still get the Jasmine new releases, but they are mostly doing 50s and 60s early rock now.

22/1/2014 5:01 pm  #27

“…What sickens me is the running undercurrent that Giddins has lost interest in the project. If that be true than all is lost!...”
I would encourage you to go read the thread at Nitrateville:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15509&p=120535&hilit=+Crosby+and+Hope+
According to the thread it is not Giddins, but the publisher. It further states that Giddins was not interested/declined the e-book option.

01/2/2014 5:57 pm  #28

In view of the comments in this thread, I have been in contact with Gary. It seems that the publication date was moved by the publisher because the publisher determined it had ‘too many biographies coming to the market at the same time’. Gary will share a new date with us via his website as soon as it becomes definite. All very frustrating for all concerned but in the meantime, it has given him extra time to tie up additional pieces of the story. The ‘loss of interest’ and ‘refusing an e-book version’ comments on the Internet are so far from the truth as to be laughable. Gary has now shared a brief excerpt from his book with me and this is certainly mouth-watering! Incredible research has thrown up new facts and clarified other stories. It has been a long wait for volume 2 but take it from me, it’s going to be worth it.

01/2/2014 10:47 pm  #29

In view of the comments in this thread, I have been in contact with Gary. It seems that the publication date was moved by the publisher because the publisher determined it had ‘too many biographies coming to the market at the same time’. Gary will share a new date with us via his website as soon as it becomes definite. All very frustrating for all concerned but in the meantime, it has given him extra time to tie up additional pieces of the story. The ‘loss of interest’ and ‘refusing an e-book version’ comments on the Internet are so far from the truth as to be laughable. Gary has now shared a brief excerpt from his book with me and this is certainly mouth-watering! Incredible research has thrown up new facts and clarified other stories. It has been a long wait for volume 2 but take it from me, it’s going to be worth it.

If this excites a casual Crosby fan like me, I am sure you Crosbyphiles must be GIDDY with this news. I do not enjoy the delay any more than you folks, but this does give all of us TRUE confidence that the book will be published! Many thanks for the direct contact with Gary and sharing it with all of us here. 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

02/2/2014 1:44 am  #30

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news!!! Thank you so much for passing that information on to us, Malcom!!! As much as I'm sure many of us have grown impatient waiting for vol. 2, I'm willing to wait however long it takes so long as book can finally be released.

03/2/2014 9:36 am  #31

I have been in contact with Gary.  - - - - Gary will share a new date with us via his website as soon as it becomes definite.  - - -- - Gary has now shared a brief excerpt from his book with me and this is certainly mouth-watering! Incredible research has thrown up new facts and clarified other stories. It has been a long wait for volume 2 but take it from me, it’s going to be worth it.

A wonderful tonic. Something indeed to look forward to in the light of the assurance from Gary via Malcolm. 

17/1/2015 5:56 pm  #32

We are now in January 2015 and there is still no news on the second volume. There is nothing on Gary Giddins website to suggest it will be coming any time soon. I suspect he hasn't been completely open with people asking about the release of the book. It seems more likely the delay is with the author in completing the book, than with the publisher.

17/1/2015 8:57 pm  #33

stuartfanning wrote:

We are now in January 2015 and there is still no news on the second volume. There is nothing on Gary Giddins website to suggest it will be coming any time soon. I suspect he hasn't been completely open with people asking about the release of the book. It seems more likely the delay is with the author in completing the book, than with the publisher.

Hey Stuart,

I believe that Gary has gotten done with the book. I just have a feeling the publisher does not think it will make enough money. It has been decades since the first book and sadly books are not making the money they used to. I hope I am wrong though.

18/1/2015 2:39 pm  #34

The first volume was Excellent but we are waiting much too long for second volume. I wanted to read about Joan Caulfield. 

Peace and Love! 

21/1/2015 5:56 pm  #35

This should make everone laugh I think. I emailed Hachette Book Group (who own the Back Bay and Little Brown imprints) and this is their reply:

Hi Stuart, I'm seeing that the second volume has a publication date in our system of 01/01/2017.   Best,Gaby
Customer Service Representative
Hachette Book Group 

Last edited by stuartfanning (21/1/2015 5:57 pm)

21/1/2015 6:00 pm  #36

stuartfanning wrote:

This should make everone laugh I think. I emailed Hachette Book Group (who own the Back Bay and Little Brown imprints) and this is their reply:

Hi Stuart, I'm seeing that the second volume has a publication date in our system of 01/01/2017.   Best,Gaby
Hachette Book Group 

Well at least it is less than two years now.

22/1/2015 12:40 am  #37

The world may end before that date.

Peace and Love! 

22/1/2015 12:46 am  #38

Lobosco wrote:

stuartfanning wrote:

Hachette Book Group 

Well at least it is less than two years now.

That is absolutely criminal! Not a one excuse for it at all!!! 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

23/1/2015 12:10 am  #39

paulmock wrote:

What sickens me is the running undercurrent that Giddins has lost interest in the project. If that be true than all is lost!  So sad....   

With Giddins featured so prominently as a Crosby expert in the new documentary aired on PBS this past December, I would hope THAT would be enough to revive him.  Or do we all have to mail him smelling salts?

23/1/2015 10:12 am  #40

After getting the reply from his publishers I had planned to email Mr Giddins and get his take on what is happening re Volume 2. Checked his website and found there is no way to email him direct, just the email address of an agent to book him for things!

23/1/2015 4:22 pm  #41

stuartfanning wrote:

After getting the reply from his publishers I had planned to email Mr Giddins and get his take on what is happening re Volume 2. Checked his website and found there is no way to email him direct, just the email address of an agent to book him for things!

Stuart,

I know how you feel about not being able to contact Mr. Giddins personally. I greatly admire his writing on jazz, not just his Bing-related stuff, and I've always wanted to contact him to interview him briefly for my jazz blog, The Vintage Bandstand, but I've never been able to do it. I guess Mr. Giddins simply doesn't have time to answer lots of e-mails, and so he prefers not to provide any contact information... Oh, the days when you could write to a big celebrity like Bing, and he would answer you personally and in perfect English! 

23/1/2015 7:31 pm  #42

Gary Giddins went to a couple of Crosby events in New York a couple of years back. I met him and asked him about volume 2. He told me he was waiting for an OK from Kathryn and some participation from her. Anyway, he was very nice and down-to earth.

Peace and Love! 

23/1/2015 10:28 pm  #43

48blonde wrote:

Gary Giddins went to a couple of Crosby events in New York a couple of years back. I met him and asked him about volume 2. He told me he was waiting for an OK from Kathryn and some participation from her. Anyway, he was very nice and down-to earth.

It could be that the family was already working on early stages of the documentary at that time, but if that might have delayed whatever cooperation Giddins was referring to, it probably would not be standing in his way now. 

As for writing to people whose addresses are not published, if they are publishing writing--articles, books--as Giddens does, you probably could send him a letter in care of the editors or publishers involved.  Their addresses are often going to appear right in the publications.  The letter would eventually get forwarded to Giddins.  I don't know about emails.  It seems to me that emails are much easier to not forward, or to delete, or for Giddens himself to delete without reading.  Would a letter get a reply? I don't know, but I think it would have some chance of getting through to him and being read.

18/6/2015 8:05 pm  #44

Any other news? The longest it takes for Gary to publish a volume 2 - the less likely it ever will be made. Any thoughts or comments...

05/3/2016 3:20 pm  #45

Heard from Gary Giddins the other day who was checking some facts for his book. The depth of his research is amazing and the lengths he goes to in verifying information is awesome. His book is going to be fantastic.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (05/3/2016 3:20 pm)

05/3/2016 3:40 pm  #46

That is most welcome news. I had begun to wonder if Gary had abandoned the project.

To have the reassurance that my doubts might be unjustified is really good. 

12/3/2016 5:35 am  #47

Wacko, you beaut! I do hope that Gary's second volume will be published (selfishly, during my lifetime). I keep his first volume on my bedside table and read a little most nights before I doze off. I don't know how many times I've read that marvellous book. I read many biographies of singers and songwriters and I've yet to find another with the so thoroughly researched content, and so well written, as Gary's.

28/5/2016 2:41 pm  #48

Great news! Gary Giddins’ book Bing Crosby: Swinging On a Star, The War Years will appear in the fall of 2017. As you may guess from the title, a third volume is planned! Little Brown are again the publishers.

28/5/2016 4:08 pm  #49

Great news! Gary Giddins’ book Bing Crosby: Swinging On a Star, The War Years will appear in the fall of 2017. As you may guess from the title, a third volume is planned! Little Brown are again the publishers.

Three cheers - or should it be a thousand? But "fall of of 2017" is still a long time off  - - - and what might be the timing of vol 3?  Some of us ever more rapidly approaching our dotage!

I hope the wait will increase the enthusiasm with which it is undoubtedly going to be welcomed.

Board footera