12/10/2021 2:03 am  #26

Re: What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

Back in the '70's when I used to go to record conventions and used record stores one of the artists I looked for was Tony Bennett.   I found a lot of Tony Bennett albums there with a lot of great songs on them.  Even his later non Columbia records from the '70's after Columbia let him go even those jazz type Tony & Bill Evans albums were good.   Columbia later realized the folly of their ways and brought Tony back.  BUT I didn't know he got senile, that's too bad.  I think that's the worse way to go out you don't even know what's happening (maybe it's better).

12/10/2021 2:11 am  #27

Archiefit wrote:

Back in the '70's when I used to go to record conventions and used record stores one of the artists I looked for was Tony Bennett.   I found a lot of Tony Bennett albums there with a lot of great songs on them.  Even his later non Columbia records from the '70's after Columbia let him go even those jazz type Tony & Bill Evans albums were good.   Columbia later realized the folly of their ways and brought Tony back.  BUT I didn't know he got senile, that's too bad.  I think that's the worse way to go out you don't even know what's happening (maybe it's better).

Tony was diagnosed when he was 90, so he had a really good life. Poor Rita Hayworth had the disease in her 40s. It's amazing but for 95 Tony can still sing.

The kids are in bed now so I went to my man cave/music room and just listened to Jo Stafford's 1956 album "Once Over Lightly" on the Columbia label. I turned off the lights and just listened to the album and kind of meditated. It's a great album if anyone out there likes Jo Stafford.

12/10/2021 2:24 am  #28

What CD is Once Over Lightly On?

12/10/2021 1:53 pm  #29

Archiefit wrote:

What CD is Once Over Lightly On?

It's not on CD although I am not 100%. I have the LP - which I saved because I love Jo Stafford but I burnt it onto CD.

12/10/2021 2:51 pm  #30

I figured it out last night.  I thought it was a single but then looked for it and found out it was the name of an album.  Actually if I had read your post more carefully you said it was an album.  I found the album on Utube.

15/10/2021 3:09 pm  #31

After to listening to Bing for two days, I figured I would swtich it up to something completely different. 
Listening to Stan Kenton now!

18/10/2021 1:34 pm  #32

I listened to some big band music this weekend - namely Les Brown. I picked up his two cd set Live At The Palladium at Half Price Books for $5.

I think since Les Brown was relegated to being Bob Hope's studio band, I never took the Brown orchestra seriously, especially in the 50s and 60s but they had a nice sound.

09/11/2021 6:17 pm  #33

I tend to listen to music that's very far afield of Bing (hardcore punk and the like), but as per the last few posts I've also been really enjoying the recent Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett album. They work really well together. I believe those New York concerts are going to be released on streaming by the end of the year, really looking forward to seeing them.

17/11/2021 5:39 pm  #34

I just heard the best Woody Herman recording I think I ever heard. It was a radio broadcast of the song "Golden Wedding" from 1944. On drums is David Tough who died tragically in 1948. This recording really swings!

19/11/2021 5:28 am  #35

Thank you David. I was 17 when I heard his first hit 'Because of You' on my family's radio in Melbourne. It went to number one in a 22-week stay on our hit parades. In later years I thought his voice wasn't particularly good but that concert was an amazing performance. I have a close friend who has Alzheimer's and I can see similarities in the interview with Tony and conversations with my friend. So, thanks again on two counts for drawing it to my attention.

19/11/2021 5:39 am  #36

As for what non-Bing records I've been listening to, as I listen again to my Jonzo collection I'm interested to read in the notes the origins of some of the songs so I've been going to Youtube to find them. Some movie excerpts I've enjoyed are 'Too Marvelous for Words' from Ready, Willing and Able (1937) and 'Mexicali Rose' and 'You Must have Been a Beautiful baby' (1939). Many, of course, I couldn't find.

19/11/2021 2:22 pm  #37

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Thank you David. I was 17 when I heard his first hit 'Because of You' on my family's radio in Melbourne. It went to number one in a 22-week stay on our hit parades. In later years I thought his voice wasn't particularly good but that concert was an amazing performance. I have a close friend who has Alzheimer's and I can see similarities in the interview with Tony and conversations with my friend. So, thanks again on two counts for drawing it to my attention.

I became a huge fan of Tony Bennett this year because of that interview/video!

Board footera