12/10/2021 1:53 pm  #26

Re: What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

Archiefit wrote:

What CD is Once Over Lightly On?

It's not on CD although I am not 100%. I have the LP - which I saved because I love Jo Stafford but I burnt it onto CD.

15/10/2021 3:09 pm  #27

After to listening to Bing for two days, I figured I would swtich it up to something completely different. 
Listening to Stan Kenton now!

18/10/2021 1:34 pm  #28

I listened to some big band music this weekend - namely Les Brown. I picked up his two cd set Live At The Palladium at Half Price Books for $5.

I think since Les Brown was relegated to being Bob Hope's studio band, I never took the Brown orchestra seriously, especially in the 50s and 60s but they had a nice sound.

09/11/2021 6:17 pm  #29

I tend to listen to music that's very far afield of Bing (hardcore punk and the like), but as per the last few posts I've also been really enjoying the recent Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett album. They work really well together. I believe those New York concerts are going to be released on streaming by the end of the year, really looking forward to seeing them.

17/11/2021 5:39 pm  #30

I just heard the best Woody Herman recording I think I ever heard. It was a radio broadcast of the song "Golden Wedding" from 1944. On drums is David Tough who died tragically in 1948. This recording really swings!

19/11/2021 5:28 am  #31

Thank you David. I was 17 when I heard his first hit 'Because of You' on my family's radio in Melbourne. It went to number one in a 22-week stay on our hit parades. In later years I thought his voice wasn't particularly good but that concert was an amazing performance. I have a close friend who has Alzheimer's and I can see similarities in the interview with Tony and conversations with my friend. So, thanks again on two counts for drawing it to my attention.

19/11/2021 5:39 am  #32

As for what non-Bing records I've been listening to, as I listen again to my Jonzo collection I'm interested to read in the notes the origins of some of the songs so I've been going to Youtube to find them. Some movie excerpts I've enjoyed are 'Too Marvelous for Words' from Ready, Willing and Able (1937) and 'Mexicali Rose' and 'You Must have Been a Beautiful baby' (1939). Many, of course, I couldn't find.

19/11/2021 2:22 pm  #33

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Thank you David. I was 17 when I heard his first hit 'Because of You' on my family's radio in Melbourne. It went to number one in a 22-week stay on our hit parades. In later years I thought his voice wasn't particularly good but that concert was an amazing performance. I have a close friend who has Alzheimer's and I can see similarities in the interview with Tony and conversations with my friend. So, thanks again on two counts for drawing it to my attention.

I became a huge fan of Tony Bennett this year because of that interview/video!

25/2/2022 7:50 pm  #34

I've been enjoying a brace of early 1960's, lively "live" jazz piano led trio albums by the late Billy Taylor. Impossible for me not to tap my foot to. "Uptown" - and some UK members on here, may remember his trio's instrumental of his own composition (and title of the second, 1963 album) of "I Wish I Knew (How it Would Feel to be Free)". This track served as the theme tune for the now late but decades long BBC television "Film …" review programme. For twenty-six years, it was written and presented by Barry Norman whose much admired BBC TV film biography documentary series, "The Hollywood Greats", memorably profiled Bing in 1985. 

Also, some "Flanagan and Allen" - a singing and comedy duo, much beloved in the UK from the pre-war and wartime "variety" days. Their wistfully gentle and intimate songs have for decades, here been a byword for nostalgia. Their most famous hit, "Underneath the Archers", was actually cowritten by Bud Flanagan himself. I've been driving my household to distraction by repeatedly (and largely inaccurately) "singing" their "Strollin'" number. 

Finally, a rare foray into late last year's album charts, ABBA's new one, "Voyage". My friends are still scratching their heads. As am I.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (26/2/2022 5:59 pm)

26/2/2022 6:11 pm  #35

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

You know regarding Tony Bennett, I knew he was talented but I never followed his music. After seeing the report on 60 Minutes with him and Lady Gaga, I have a better appreciation for Tony now.

Funny thing about that, I didn't really like him at all before this, he seemed overrated to me. Especially with the endorsements from Bing and Frank. However hearing of his Alzheimer's disease and realizing that he's truly the last of the original crooners (along with Johnny Mathis), I decided to give him a try. The "Who Can I Turn To" album is very good.

Here's the video that did it for me. It caused me to really take note of Tony!

Yes, it's a most moving report, isn't David? I'm so pleased it's given you the opportunity to revaluate Mr Bennett. I've been a huge fan of his for thirty-five years, now (even meeting him a couple times). I fully appreciate, though as I've also found (and to a far greater extent) with another favourite of mine (and Bing's), Mel Tormé – Tony's singing isn't everyone's cup of tea. It was so touching to see his instinctively polite and humble response on being praised by reporter, Anderson Cooper over these, his final concert performances. These were echoes typical of Tony's behaviour before his Alzheimer's diagnosis - even though sadly, he'd soon forgotten performing them. I do so hope his wife (and now full time carer) Susan's heartfelt wish for the manner of his eventual passing, is granted.

28/2/2022 2:39 am  #36

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Funny thing about that, I didn't really like him at all before this, he seemed overrated to me. Especially with the endorsements from Bing and Frank. However hearing of his Alzheimer's disease and realizing that he's truly the last of the original crooners (along with Johnny Mathis), I decided to give him a try. The "Who Can I Turn To" album is very good.

Yes, it's a most moving report, isn't David? I'm so pleased it's given you the opportunity to revaluate Mr Bennett. I've been a huge fan of his for thirty-five years, now (even meeting him a couple times). I fully appreciate, though as I've also found (and to a far greater extent) with another favourite of mine (and Bing's), Mel Tormé – Tony's singing isn't everyone's cup of tea. It was so touching to see his instinctively polite and humble response on being praised by reporter, Anderson Cooper over these, his final concert performances. These were echoes typical of Tony's behaviour before his Alzheimer's diagnosis - even though sadly, he'd soon forgotten performing them. I do so hope his wife (and now full time carer) Susan's heartfelt wish for the manner of his eventual passing, is granted.

Yes, I wish I would have fully appreciated Tony Bennett sooner.

I want to check out the new ABBA recording. I consider them "modern" compared to what I usually listen to. I have been really focusing on listening to the big bands of Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Woody Herman, and Bunny Berigan more lately.

01/3/2022 11:51 pm  #37

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

Yes, I wish I would have fully appreciated Tony Bennett sooner.

I want to check out the new ABBA recording. I consider them "modern" compared to what I usually listen to. I have been really focusing on listening to the big bands of Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Woody Herman, and Bunny Berigan more lately.

Yes, David - I'm also generally more of a listener to (along with classical music) all the great big bands you've mentioned (along with Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington and the Count Basie band of the 1950's and 1960's) and many of Bing's approximate singing contemporaries (Jolson, Frank, Ella, Perry, Nat, Jo Stafford, Doris, Etc). As a pre-teen of the 1970's, Abba just seemed to me pleasantly omnipresent . It's only been within the previous three years or so that I've been taking far more notice. I so enjoyed their new album and was quite stunned as to how wonderful much of it seemed. A fair number of reviewers have been voicing disappointments as I suspect some expected "Voyage" to hit the heights of Abba's greatest hits singles catalogue. I'd say over half of the new tracks are most memorable, around three being up to or approaching the standard of their old single hits and the remaining couple, perhaps being of their lesser album tracks of old.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (02/3/2022 12:04 pm)

02/3/2022 12:49 am  #38

As we speak right now, I am listening to forgotten vocalist Ginny Simms...

04/3/2022 5:22 am  #39

Ginny Simms had a couple of hit records in Australia in the early 1940s, with Kay Kyser. I played one of them on my radio program this week. As for non-Bing music I listened to this week, Greg van Beek's last program played some good records from 1968 and introduced me to three I'd not heard before by Frank Sinatra, The Mills Bros and a duet by Jimmy Durante and Maurice Chevalier, The Ginny Simms record was 'Why don't we do this more often'.

04/3/2022 12:27 pm  #40

Oh this is lovely! Thank you David and Graham for highlighting this immediately beguiling singer and the information. I have never knowingly before heard Ginny Simms' beautifully mellow (but still somehow simultaneously light) voice. It's such a shame that she is now forgotten, although for some reason, her name does seem to ring a vague bell. I would love to listen to some more available examples of this attractively sounding (and appearing) lady. Any initial suggestions?

04/3/2022 12:35 pm  #41

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Oh this is lovely! Thank you David and Graham for highlighting this immediately beguiling singer and the information. I have never knowingly before heard Ginny Simms' beautifully mellow (but still somehow simultaneously light) voice. It's such a shame that she is now forgotten, although for some reason, her name does seem to ring a vague bell. I would love to listen to some more available examples of this attractively sounding (and appearing) lady. Any initial suggestions?

On my Youtube channel, I have a lot of her recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCc9xm-s2Dkmd6vSvHHnjzQ

04/3/2022 12:47 pm  #42

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Ginny Simms had a couple of hit records in Australia in the early 1940s, with Kay Kyser. I played one of them on my radio program this week. As for non-Bing music I listened to this week, Greg van Beek's last program played some good records from 1968 and introduced me to three I'd not heard before by Frank Sinatra, The Mills Bros and a duet by Jimmy Durante and Maurice Chevalier, The Ginny Simms record was 'Why don't we do this more often'.

Graham - you have a radio programme! May I enquire as to its name and is there any way of accessing it online in the UK? Just one thing, should you take requests - I think it best for all concerned that you keep this information to yourself. I'll only bombard you with endless demands to play tracks from "Fancy Meeting You Here", Lol! 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (04/3/2022 12:50 pm)

04/3/2022 3:03 pm  #43

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

On my Youtube channel, I have a lot of her recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCc9xm-s2Dkmd6vSvHHnjzQ

Oh wow! Thanks, David. I'll look forward to a pleasant evening's listen. 

23/3/2022 2:45 pm  #44

I've always found it incredible that despite advanced old age and now Alzheimer's, Tony (to the best of my knowledge), whenever I've attended a concert of his or seen him on television, has never seemed to require monitors or cue cards.. Unlike Sinatra and very latterly, dear Perry Como - or when I attended his final UK tour, Andy Williams, Mr Bennett seems to have this incredible long term memory facility for lyrics. Memory can be so contradictory, can't it? 

23/3/2022 4:26 pm  #45

Ian Kerstein wrote:

I've always found it incredible that despite advanced old age and now Alzheimer's, Tony (to the best of my knowledge), whenever I've attended a concert of his or seen him on television, has never seemed to require monitors or cue cards.. Unlike Sinatra and very latterly, dear Perry Como - or when I attended his final UK tour, Andy Williams, Mr Bennett seems to have this incredible long term memory facility for lyrics. Memory can be so contradictory, can't it? 

Music was such a part of Tony Bennett's life that it connected the memory for him. With memory loss it affects people different too. I have gained a lot more admiration for Mr. Tony Bennett than I ever had.

28/3/2022 4:56 am  #46

Ian, you asked about my radio program. Pardon me for the late response but we've been away on our annual beach holiday. Each Monday morning from 9-11 o'clock I present Morning Music on our local (Bathurst, New South Wales) community radio station, 2MCE-FM. It's popular music from the pre-rock era (mostly). We stream on 2mce.org and are currently on Daylight Saving/Summer time but will put our clocks back one hour to East Australian Time on April 3rd.. If hope you van tune in some time.

28/3/2022 5:06 am  #47

Graham, no pardon necessary, it's just nice to hear from you and hope you had a great holiday. Thanks for the response, This all sounds very interesting, indeed. I've found the 2mce.org website without a problem. I'm currently working out the time difference zones so as when to listen. Are your shows also available for a period on a "listen again" facility after each broadcast?  

13/4/2022 4:07 am  #48

No, Ian, my programs aren't archived.

13/4/2022 4:25 am  #49

Graham Pascoe wrote:

No, Ian, my programs aren't archived.

That's such a shame, as I imagine you will put a lot of work into them.
I have often wished to create one myself (strictly scripted) but both task wise and technically, it would overwhelm me.
Plus, I have a voice that on the few occasions I've had to listen to it, makes me grieve for those who constantly do..

18/4/2022 7:33 pm  #50

A belated Happy Easter and holiday to everyone.

Just to pick up slightly from a message of Ron's on this subject (from five years ago).

Although not strictly categorised as a singer but with a rich legacy of rhythm and having introduced many classics of the Great American Songbook, I've been enjoying some of the recordings made by dancing great, Bing friend and sometime co-star, Fred Astaire. During this bank holiday Monday, while washing and tidying away after the departure of some Easter guests, I took a listen to Fred's two final solo albums.

As some of you may be aware, these were laid down during the same 1975 UK visit for his "A Couple of Song and Dance Men" duet project with Bing. Of particular interest for this listen was the less familiar of the two solo LPs, "Attitude Dancing". Featuring songs not as instantly familiar with Astaire such as, "That Face", there's also some contemporary numbers of the day. All were arranged by later Bing stalwart, Pete Moore (even with funky disco beats and twangy electric guitars featuring on the title track), this gave the album a most modern (albeit 1970's) feel, in complete contrast from Fred's more recognisable recordings from his musical film days.

His complimenting LP from the same sessions, "They Can't Take These Away from Me", contains a dozen of his traditional film hits ("Cheek to Cheek", "Top Hat", Etc). Although still relatively contemporarily, Mr Moore's arrangements on this one are a little more muted and sympathetic towards those musical film days of Fred's.

As heard on the Crosby album, Fred was still in decent voice throughout, although age and (according to a later biography he collaborated on) decades of LA smog had by then "husked" it a little. However, although a less conventional sounding Astaire, both albums have the required toe tapping effect with Fred's famed interpretative skills remaining as undiminished as ever. For once, washing those endless dishes and repositioning furniture proved to be most pleasurable indeed. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (20/4/2022 6:59 pm)

Board footera