08/9/2024 5:10 am  #1

01/10/2024 2:05 pm  #2

Re: Check this out. Funny!

Well found, Carmela!

I've just caught up with the contents of this wonderfully hilarious link. 
What a terrific cartoon compilation of Bing's animated appearances across the decades.
I particularly thought at just 1:30 minutes in, the singing voice of the guitar playing striped insect seemed very close to the real thing.

It was also really interesting to note the extent as to how Bing was so highly caricature-identified with his "Boo-Boo-Boo-Boo-Boo's" during the height of his fame. Plus how his laid back, relaxed persona was charmingly ribbed. 

Do you, Carmela - or indeed anyone else on the forum happen to know whether Bing was amused or not at being caricatured or impersonated? I've heard of some notable public figures who most certainly did not enjoy it, some who outwardly pretended to but privately did not and some who were genuinely amused and a few more that actively encouraged it. 

Thanks again for the link. It really cheered my on a persistently rainy day in merrie olde England. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (01/10/2024 2:23 pm)

07/10/2024 3:13 am  #3

Ian, I remember reading Bing was upset about the cartoon Bingo Crosbyana because they made him look cowardly but had a change of heart. There were cartoons in that clip I have never seen. Glad you enjoyed it! I enjoy your input at the meetings, you always bring up interesting topics.

07/10/2024 1:24 pm  #4

That is really interesting, Carmela. It must be so deeply odd to see yourself caricatured. I once turned down the free opportunity at work to have my cartoon portrait drawn! I'm pleased Bing had an eventual change of heart. I do wonder if deep down, it was the closeness of the singing voice of the insect portrayal which influenced him to sue Warner Brothers over the film? As much as we love Bing, I'm delighted he lost his case in trying to supress the cartoon, which is a charming piece of work. .

Thank you for your kind words, Carmela - I very much enjoy your company, too during the online meetings. . 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (07/10/2024 6:29 pm)

07/10/2024 8:43 pm  #5

Ian, since I was a little girl I always would draw a cartoon of my father. It looked like him and people thought it was very funny including my father. I went in my neighbors house once and she had one of my drawings on her refrigerator. She said she put it there because everyone who saw it knew it was my father and could not stop laughing about it. My father is dead 10 years and since he died I haven't drawn his picture. I guess too many memories that would cause me grief. See you at next meeting! Ian, Are you feeling better? What was wrong?

08/10/2024 2:12 am  #6

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfzY4ZuwQxk
This is a fuller video of one of the clips, in which several other entertainers besides Bing are parodied.  Can someone help me identify them?  Of the four of them one is Bing, obviously, and another is Jolson, but I can't tell who the other two are.

08/10/2024 7:27 am  #7

Eddie Cantor and Jack Benny.

08/10/2024 2:25 pm  #8

Both such wonderful performers. Michael, Eddie Cantor was most certainly of the same generation and tradition in the vibrant "Jolson" style of entertainer. His stage personality, though was far more gentle, shy and winsome than Al's. Jack Benny was possibly the most affectionately regarded US comedian during most of his sixty year career. He had such a laid back, intimate conversational style which still appears so contemporary.  

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (08/10/2024 2:26 pm)

08/10/2024 4:34 pm  #9

Thanks Ian for describing Cantor and Benny. I didn't have time to do it.

08/10/2024 5:21 pm  #10

My pleasure, Carmela. I just hope as a distanced Brit, I didn't exaggerate the general, loveable affection Benny was held within your country. I've always felt that for a far shorter period, Eric Morecambe of the not too US familiar comedy double act of Morecambe and Wise, was held in similar UK affection. His headlined death, ten years after Benny's and aged only fifty-eight, had the UK mourning over its national court jester. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (08/10/2024 5:23 pm)

08/10/2024 8:13 pm  #11

Okay, thanks to the both of you!  I'd heard of both, but I didn't know enough to pick out a parody of them.

08/10/2024 9:03 pm  #12

Michael, Thanks for your clip! Glad I could help and nice to meet you!

08/10/2024 11:08 pm  #13

Ian, I am familiar with Eric Morecambe of Morecambe and Wise. Years back they were shown along with Benny Hill Show here in NY. All very funny! Also, I was huge Elton John fan for years and became very familiar with all things British. My dad loved Benny Hill and Peter Sellers.

09/10/2024 1:18 am  #14

michaelbiesenthal wrote:

Okay, thanks to the both of you!  I'd heard of both, but I didn't know enough to pick out a parody of them.

Pleasure, Michael. It was a terrific clip - I'd never seen it before and was very impressed. Your cartoon detective work is to be commended! 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (09/10/2024 2:44 am)

09/10/2024 1:24 am  #15

Blonde56 wrote:

Ian, I am familiar with Eric Morecambe of Morecambe and Wise. Years back they were shown along with Benny Hill Show here in NY. All very funny! Also, I was huge Elton John fan for years and became very familiar with all things British. My dad loved Benny Hill and Peter Sellers.

Goodness, you do surprise me, Carmela. I'm delighted that Morecambe & Wise are known to you. I adore them. I've have though known for many years that Benny Hill is big in America and that his very final television shows were filmed in New York. Peter Sellers I think was quite simply one of the greatest actors of both drama and comedy who graced the screen. 

09/10/2024 2:02 am  #16

Yes, I agree about Peter Sellers. Ian, you are from Nottingham? Do you know Robin Hood? You would make a Great Richard the Lionheart. Lol! Speaking of Robin Hood, I heard Richard Greene was Robin Hood in a television series in England years back. I must check that out one day.

Last edited by Blonde56 (09/10/2024 2:28 am)

09/10/2024 3:08 am  #17

I am indeed from and reside in Nottingham. I'd need more of a mane to be Richard the Lionheart, Carmela. However, I did once spend a few minutes in the company of Sir Peter Ustinov, who voiced his cartoon incarnation of Richard in Disney's "Robin Hood", with Bing's best buddy Phil Harris voicing Robin Hood's best buddy Little John. Richard Greene was indeed a UK telly Robin in the 1950's, most fondly remembered in her childhood by my late wife. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (09/10/2024 3:09 am)

09/10/2024 3:39 am  #18

Sir Peter Ustinov! He was a great actor! I never saw the cartoon, now I must see it. Richard Greene was very handsome, I first noticed him in "The Hound of the Baskervilles" Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone( another favorite of mine who was in Robin Hood movie as Sir Guy with Errol Flynn as Robin Hood). Wow! Your late wife watched Richard Greene as Robin Hood. I am sure Richard was a big hit with the ladies in England along with the charming Ian Kerstein. Thanks for the info! Your knowledge is appreciated.

09/10/2024 8:05 pm  #19

Yes, Jill remembered with great fondness the late Richard Greene and her ears always pricked up when she heard the musical opening fanfare of its theme. Your comments are so kind, Carmela but I couldn't compete with Robin Hood's charms.

All this Robin Hood chat is reminding me of Bing's performance as Allen A. Dale in the Rat Pack film "Robin and The Seven Hoods". It's a film of which I'm very fond and I so enjoy Bing's performance and musical numbers in this one. Does anyone have any particular memories or reflections of this movie musical? 

09/10/2024 8:21 pm  #20

Completely forgot about that movie!  Lots of good songs out of there.  I always liked "Don't Be a Do Badder" because of its simple, cheery message.  You don't get too many of those kinds of songs now. Mr. Booze is always a fun one, and "Bang! Bang!" always made me laugh because its rather suspiciously upbeat song by a half-crazed man who loves shooting stuff.  Hmmm....

10/10/2024 12:20 am  #21

Ian and Michael, I love Bing's "Don't Be a Do Badder" scene dancing with the kids. And,I thought Peter Faulk was excellent in the movie too.

13/10/2024 6:07 am  #22

Ian Kerstein wrote:

I've always felt that for a far shorter period, Eric Morecambe of the not too US familiar comedy double act of Morecambe and Wise, was held in similar UK affection. His headlined death, ten years after Benny's and aged only fifty-eight, had the UK mourning over its national court jester. 

I am aware of Morecambe and Wise mostly because the Beatles appeared on their TV show at the very beginning of Beatlemania in the UK, and their skits with the Fab Four were really hilarious. It's obvious the lads are having a great time and that they admired the comedy duo. I agree, Ian, that there is something really contemporary about Jack Benny's conversational style that makes his brand of comedy stand the test of time, especially the stuff he did on his top-rated radio show. I feel more or less the same about Fred Allen, who was another extremely witty comedian of the golden age of radio in this country.

13/10/2024 4:32 pm  #23

Oh, Fred Allen was beyond wonderful. He's not at all known in the UK, as are the likes of Benny and best buddy George Burns. I thought he and Gracie gave Bing some really warm, witty support in "We're Not Dressing". A film of which I am most fond. 

Fred Allen's gentle, sophisticated and cerebral style was indeed similar to the slightly more expansive Benny's. I thought television was far kinder to Jack Benny, though. Did Allen radio "guest" often with Bing? 

The Beatles did indeed blend beautifully with Eric and Ernie. I think, though their finest television moment came a few years later with another great musical guest but one from a different genre. 
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl9sgf

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/10/2024 6:00 pm)

13/10/2024 4:51 pm  #24

michaelbiesenthal wrote:

Completely forgot about that movie!  Lots of good songs out of there.  I always liked "Don't Be a Do Badder" because of its simple, cheery message.  You don't get too many of those kinds of songs now. Mr. Booze is always a fun one, and "Bang! Bang!" always made me laugh because its rather suspiciously upbeat song by a half-crazed man who loves shooting stuff.  Hmmm....

" ... Do Badder" is one of my favourite Bing film moments. He works wonderfully with the children, doesn't he? His voice and their chorus work and whistles blending so infectiously with the sweetly quirky orchestration. The choreography is age appropriately charming with boys appearing natural and not at all with any overly precocious, intricate steps. Sammy is terrifically energetic and cheery - and yes, despite the gun happy nature of shooting everything seemingly in sight! It reminds me of Fred Astaire's destructive "One For My Baby" bar top counter tap routine of twenty years before. "Style" with Bing, Frank and Dean is perfection. Thank goodness Peter Lawford's initial casting for Bing's part wasn't carried through. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/10/2024 10:21 pm)

13/10/2024 10:24 pm  #25

Yes, Carmela, I don't think the film would have had enjoyed nearly as much warmth without dear Bing. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/10/2024 10:34 pm)

Board footera