17/1/2023 9:58 pm  #1

How are you listening to Bing?

The vast majority of my Bing Crosby collection is on CD, which I have ripped onto my laptop. And except for the occasional breaking out the vinyl, I tend to listen to Bing from my laptop with a portable speaker plugged in. 

The other day, I thought to myself it would be nice to listen to this on my GE Superadio III, which is a really nice sounding mono AM/FM portable radio. So after some thinking, some research, reaching out to some knowledgeable folks, I purchased a C. Crane FM Transmitter II, which arrived today. So I have spent the last few hours with a playlist of Bing, Ella, Frank, and a few others playing over the "radio".

I also just bought a small retro looking radio/Bluetooth speaker which I got a kick out of using to listen to Bing. 

How about you? 

18/1/2023 3:27 am  #2

Re: How are you listening to Bing?

They say great minds think alike!

That radio is the EXACT one I have purchased, down to the color! I have admired it for a while, but have a few Bluetooth speakers, an Amazon device in just about every room and couldn't bring myself to buy another, but FINALLY I just pulled the trigger because I like all the features this packs. And the sound is pretty good!

As for the transmitter.. well I contemplated buying a table radio that does bluetooth and emails a gentleman who has a blog and reviews all sorts of radio gear. I mentioned I had also considered an FM transmitter because I have the Superadio, which like I mentioned before, has very nice sound quality. HE suggested the C. Crane FM Transmitter II or III. He said they were the best he's ever heard the closest to an actual FM broadcast. And he has worked in radio for years. 

I only just used it today but the sound was very good, no distortion or interference. Now the Superadio is IN the same room, but I took the Prunus and went into other rooms in my apartment and it played great (antenna up) in every room. 

My laptop has a ton of music, tons of Bing, Matt Monro, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley, and several albums of Doris Day, Perry Como, Sinatra, plus all sorts of other artists. Some of this music is widely available to stream on Amazon or YouTube Music, but I have a LOT that isn't available, so listening off my laptop is really the easiest most convenient option. This transmitter now gives me the ability to not be tethered to computer! 

I hope it exceeds your expectations!

Last edited by Ron1972 (24/1/2023 2:09 pm)

18/1/2023 11:05 pm  #3

Great question! I've been listening to Bing on my collection of Crosley and Victrola antique style radios. I use CDs mostly. Once in awhile, I use the cassette and turntable because my radios have all 3. Bing sound's Great! Years back, I had a Great stereo system and played him on that and enjoyed it very much! Playing Bing on these antique style radios just makes you feel like you are back in that time( even though I'm not from that time!)

19/1/2023 7:15 pm  #4

The Superadio came out in the late 80's or early 90's. It doesn't look vintage or antique (except I guess for the fact that it's a 30 year old design!). 
They're just noted for great AM reception and very good sound. It's a great "talk radio" sort of radio. 

Originally, I was going to purchase an AM transmitter because I do have a few old AM radios! But was convinced that AM transmitters just don't sound nearly as good. 

This is a long reply, but usually I would just hook up a speaker to the laptop because the laptop has really tinny sounding speakers. The Superadio sounds great but I hardly use it because it is JUST an AM/FM radio. The FM Transmitter has me using this more in a few days then I have probably in YEARS! I am VERY happy with it. 

I did think about buying just a really nice bluetooth radio, but one thing I am really enjoying is that I can play these songs from my laptop and then use any radio I have in the house. I have had the Superadio in my office playing and then grabbed a smaller radio and brought it into the kitchen and has it playing in both rooms at the same time!

19/1/2023 7:19 pm  #5

Blonde56 wrote:

Great question! I've been listening to Bing on my collection of Crosley and Victrola antique style radios. I use CDs mostly. Once in awhile, I use the cassette and turntable because my radios have all 3. Bing sound's Great! Years back, I had a Great stereo system and played him on that and enjoyed it very much! Playing Bing on these antique style radios just makes you feel like you are back in that time( even though I'm not from that time!)

I had a few of these radios in the past, loved the look, and yeah they seemed to add some authenticity to listening to old programs!

I'm always amazed someone hasn't made a really good radio that copies the style of some of those great antique radios!

19/1/2023 11:36 pm  #6

Wow, that’s a lot of trouble to go to, Ron. Although, as I recall, the GE Superadio has a very full, mono sound...great for older music.

These days, I generally listen to Bing on youtube, while working on other projects. Like you, I occasionally break out a CD or LP. And not only Bing. Just a couple of days ago, I played a CD of ‘King Oliver’ from 1929-30.

However, believe it or not, my preferred mode of listening to Bing is 78s. Admittedly, I don’t do that very often. Starting out as a teenage Bing fan in the late’60s, I spent many hours in junk stores and opportunity shops picking up old records, which now reside in the garage. 

I reckon the right combination of a pristine 78, reliable turntable and suitable cartridge can still produce a superior sound. CDs and the internet are often highly compressed, depriving Bing of his full vocal power.

For me, even today, nothing beats an early ‘30s Bing 78 for richness of sound. Somehow, the voice has more vitality. So, very occasionally, I trek out to the garage and grab a random stack of 78s, for a “session.” Thanks for an interesting topic.

20/1/2023 2:24 am  #7

Arch, some of the radios have aux input/ line in line out/ bluetooth. Ron, you are right I wish they were made like the real antique radios! I notice a lot of stereos and radios are made like garbage! I recently purchased an old style Panasonic boombox that is made good like the old ones. I used it to record some CDs on to cassette. Excellent. Excellent sound too! Yes, I still use cassettes! Someone mentioned YoutTube. I listen from YouTube sometimes too! I have old walkmans that I use too. They are selling them on eBay new and used for a lot of $$. I can't believe it! I miss all the old electronics!! Does anyone remember the Tootaloop radio from the 1970's? My brother broke it on me. I probably would still have it!

21/1/2023 7:15 am  #8

I listen to my Crosby collection on old-fashioned equipment: a Pioneer CD player and record player (45 & 33 1/3 rpm). I used to be able to play my CDs on my computer but the new HP computer I bought last year doesn't have a tower so I can no longer do that. I like the photo of the retro-style radio which looks like the brown bakelite radio I have (AM only) which was our family radio in my hyouth.

Board footera