22/12/2022 10:41 pm  #1

YEARLY BING CROSBY PODCAST - BING AS AN ACTOR

Dear all,

This is the seventh year in a row that at the beginning of December, Malcolm and I sit down (via Zoom) and discuss an aspect of Bing's life and career. This time around we've tackled the topic of Bing Crosby's career as an actor. What made him special on screen? In what ways did he evolve as an actor? What was our introduction to Bing as an actor? What lesser-known Bing films are worth checking out? If you're interested, you may access the podcast (it is a videocast this time, with both sound and image) by clicking on the link below:

https://youtu.be/PYDYfzaPLh8 

Once again, we've had a great time chatting about Bing, and we hope you all enjoy this episode! If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions for future podcasts, please let us know!

Happy holidays everyone! 

Anton.

23/12/2022 3:20 pm  #2

Re: YEARLY BING CROSBY PODCAST - BING AS AN ACTOR

I will be listening during the holidays. Thank you both very much.

29/12/2022 6:33 am  #3

I've just had the opportunity to tune in to the podcast; an hour or so well spent. It reminded me that I don't really remember which was the first Crosby film I saw. The note that Bing didn't do a studio recording of 'Buckin' the Wind' from Too Much Harmony caught my attention, especially when I watched the scene in the movie. Surprisingly, when the the Australian music magazine Tempo reflected on Bing's career in August 1951 it included that song in its highlights of songs he had sung. Malcolm referred to the lack of Man on Fire on TV in England. Aussies were able to tune in to it five times in the sixties and seventies.

30/12/2022 9:57 pm  #4

Very entertaining! If you guys did that live, with a call in feature, that would be fun!

A few thoughts, you guys talked about the Road pictures with Malcolm saying Lamour probably could have been recast with any actress. I would agree but this is because of the chemistry that Bing and Bob had which they showed on radio and TV appearances, and cameos etc. 

You both talked about Stagecoach and I just watched both of these for the first time back to back and I do think the 1966 version is very good but it has a few stumbling blocks that keep it from really being the "A" movie it should have been (especially considering its cast!) Some of the scenes just look pedestrian, but I think Ann Margaret is really not a great fit for her role, and Stephanie Powers is really just awful in hers! Bing really IS outstanding, a joy to watch and really steals many of the scenes he's in. 

Lastly, why did Bing slow down in the 1960's and 70's? I have to wonder how much of that was just straight out demand and lack of quality projects? Other than John Wayne, I'm not sure if any actor of that generation was working regularly and STARRING in quality pictures. Stewart, Fonda, Davis, Hepburn, all worked significantly less in the 1960's and 70's, and I think they also branched into television roles. 

I do think musically Bing probably could have done well with a Television show like Como or Andy Williams but didn't want that commitment especially with his second family growing by leaps and bounds. 

31/12/2022 8:14 am  #5

Glad you enjoyed it Ron. I like the idea of a call in feature and perhaps Anton will investigate this. Bing had some ill health in the early 60s which slowed him down and I think the time it took to film Stagecoach may have dimmed his enthusiasm for films too. As you say, he didn't want the commitment of a regular TV show. He had so many other other interests apart from showbusiness. 

02/1/2023 1:39 am  #6

Like Malcolm, I think the closing moments of ‘The Bells of St. Mary’s’ (particularly the final close-up of Bing’s face, conveying so many emotions) contain some of his best acting. ‘Road to Rio’ is my favourite of the road movies.
Great job, guys - very entertaining and informative.

Board footera