12/8/2022 10:54 pm  #1

Bing Crosby 2 Gemmy dolls

I had them 16 years ago before I moved. They were robbed when I moved. I haven't been able to replace them. EBay has beat up ones posted on there site. Does anyone no where I can get these dolls in decent working condition?

17/8/2022 2:36 am  #2

Re: Bing Crosby 2 Gemmy dolls

I found the gray suit one alongside a Louis Armstrong one at my local pawn shop, I got it but the circuit board fried when I accidentally put in the wrong voltage cord tried to get plug it in. Still had the box too!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

17/8/2022 6:32 pm  #3

I have all three of them - two Bing and one Dean. One of them the mouth doesn't move, but they have surprisingly lasted a long time. I only put them up at Christmas anymore.

22/8/2022 1:44 am  #4

I had the Bing Father Christmas doll and gave it to my niece

22/8/2022 11:11 pm  #5

These are wonderful. I've never seen anything like these in merry old England. From the pictures, I take it the mouths animate in synch as the sound emanates? Do their bodies move as well - and do they use the actual recordings of the singers - or soundalikes as some commercials and audio birthday cards seem to?
The closest I've seen to any of these, was a large, inanimate porcelain head of Bing in a straw boater hat in a holiday souvenir shop in St Ives, Cornwall in 1980. 
So not very close. 

22/8/2022 11:27 pm  #6

I LOVE the sound of all of this. I've only ever seen them standing still on television. I love as they age, you caringly assist these aging stars with their singing. 

22/8/2022 11:49 pm  #7

You could be done for Elder Abuse, bending Bing and co against their will into them.
They would never sing for you again! 

23/8/2022 12:22 am  #8

Blonde56 wrote:

I had them 16 years ago before I moved. They were robbed when I moved. I haven't been able to replace them. EBay has beat up ones posted on there site. Does anyone no where I can get these dolls in decent working condition?

Did the house removal workers steal them?

23/8/2022 5:54 am  #9

Archiefit wrote:

Maybe it fried because you tried to plug it in.  Mine runs by batteries, double A size ones, I have never heard of any being run by electricity.   Though I do remember a Louis Armstrong for sale in the same store that I bought the Bing doll.   There was also 2 singing Dean Martin dolls there, one sang Christmas songs and wears a red scarf the other is in a tux and sings normal Dean hits.   The 2 Bings and Deans all run by double A size batteries, not electricity.

Mine worked on both batteries and plug in, when I had plug it in before with the right voltage it worked, so it was very much fault on my end. Granted even though it doesn’t work anymore it’s a nice display piece.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

23/8/2022 3:38 pm  #10

Yes Ian, the movers had to take them. I realized it too late. I had too much to move and unpack. I miss my Bing Benny dolls!

23/8/2022 3:40 pm  #11

I put Gemmy dolls but tablet changed spelling to Benny dolls!

23/8/2022 3:48 pm  #12

Oh no!!! This is beyond awful. Is this sort of thing common in the USA? I have assisted friends and family move house, with approved removal companies on a number of occasions and yet have never come across anything like this on these shores. I've heard of whole unlicensed and unapproved removal vans, here - disappearing with an entire household's worth of furniture - but never odd items. I am so sorry!!!!!!

23/8/2022 3:55 pm  #13

Blonde56 wrote:

I put Gemmy dolls but tablet changed spelling to Benny dolls!

Oh I wouldn't worry, Blonde56! Until your correction, I was misreading their names as "Grammy Dolls", thinking they had been licenced via the US music industry awards people. My "dyslexo" for your typo. 

26/8/2022 3:01 am  #14

I had a scrap book on Bing - number 1 book -and started a second.
I posted it to Bing but it never saw the light of day again and I doubt that Bing ever received it as he would have responded.
Another item “lost in the mail”

02/9/2022 3:58 pm  #15

Just want to update you guys on my Bing Gemmy Doll situation. I just purchased the Christmas one like new, in box and everything works. I also purchased the other one. Not new in box and everything works but mouth. Couldn't find better. It will do for now until I come across one in better shape. I purchased off of ebay. Ian check out EBay there are more of them. Bing is coming home! I think I will have a party for him. I'll invite my Cagney, Mcqueen and Get Smart dolls! I know I'm losing it.

02/9/2022 7:51 pm  #16

Ron Field wrote:

I had a scrap book on Bing - number 1 book -and started a second.
I posted it to Bing but it never saw the light of day again and I doubt that Bing ever received it as he would have responded.
Another item “lost in the mail”

Oh Ron! That is so sad to hear. I wasn't old enough to have known about Bing during his lifetime but I remember sending a letter and postcard to Bing's sometime co-star and duet partner, Fred Astaire on Astaire's eighty-fifth  birthday in the mid-1980's and also not receiving a reply. I've subsequently learned from what his household staff have been quoted as saying, that old twinkletoes did respond to fan mail - but only when supplied with a stamped address envelope. Perhaps a case of Mr Astaire being as careful and as exacting with his expenditure as he was with his routines?

02/9/2022 7:55 pm  #17

Blonde56 wrote:

Just want to update you guys on my Bing Gemmy Doll situation. I just purchased the Christmas one like new, in box and everything works. I also purchased the other one. Not new in box and everything works but mouth. Couldn't find better. It will do for now until I come across one in better shape. I purchased off of ebay. Ian check out EBay there are more of them. Bing is coming home! I think I will have a party for him. I'll invite my Cagney, Mcqueen and Get Smart dolls! I know I'm losing it.

No, no, no - not losing anything, Blonde56! Only gaining and certainly not losing any of your wonderful enthusiasm!
That's wonderful news. Bing must appear like a miracle performer. Singing but like a ventriloquist vocalist.  

02/9/2022 11:06 pm  #18

Ian,
Bing always sent a letter saying what he was sort of up to - latest movie - and saying photo was coming under separate cover which arrived a couple of days later-a 10” x 8” photo protected by a piece of cardboard so photo wouldn’t be bent.
Bing was probably the only one to do this.
Have you ever seen the photo of Bing sitting on the desk with a pile of envelopes (photos) to be posted.
He certainly was a rare one compared to the rest of Hollywood.
I’ve also been very fortunate in meeting a number of the Crosby family and they all certainly had their feet solidly on the ground.

03/9/2022 3:27 am  #19

Ron, I agree. Bing was special.Cagney was good with autographs too. Both very special and good men!

04/9/2022 4:13 am  #20

Ian, you are too funny! I want to fix bing's mouth when the broken one arrives. Did anyone fix one? I'm good at fixing things.

05/9/2022 4:01 pm  #21

The grey suit one arrived. His mouth don't move. Yes, Ian he is a ventriloquist! How Can I get his mouth to move? Maybe if I light his pipe? Ha!

06/9/2022 3:28 pm  #22

Archiefit, I did what you said, but it's too much work. He is like the Tin Man, only oil won't work.  Maybe if I give him a kiss? 

01/10/2022 8:34 pm  #23

Well, I've waited almost a month, now and can't bear it any longer...
… did you kiss him and did he favourably respond with the (singing) mouth movement you'd been waiting for?

01/10/2022 9:09 pm  #24

Ron Field wrote:

Ian,
Bing always sent a letter saying what he was sort of up to - latest movie - and saying photo was coming under separate cover which arrived a couple of days later-a 10” x 8” photo protected by a piece of cardboard so photo wouldn’t be bent.
Bing was probably the only one to do this.
Have you ever seen the photo of Bing sitting on the desk with a pile of envelopes (photos) to be posted.
He certainly was a rare one compared to the rest of Hollywood.
I’ve also been very fortunate in meeting a number of the Crosby family and they all certainly had their feet solidly on the ground.

Ron, 

I have never knowingly seen the photograph you describe. Do you have a link to this or advice if it features in a particular book? I love how Bing would personally respond to your contacts - and in such a thoughtful and careful manner. If he'd have lived another seven or eight years or so, I'm almost certain I'd have been then old enough to have written, too..

I've heard Bob Hope, Stan Laurel and Joan Crawford were also very committed correspondents. Although from what I've read, Crawford's could, particularly in later life, sometimes border on the obsessional. 

I've just had a rare thought: Bing had his sporting buddy, Stan Laurel's comedy partner, Oliver Hardy cameo in a film of his, Bob and Bing together are now the stuff of legend - I wonder how any potential on screen chemistry of Bing and Joan Crawford would have fared? 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (02/10/2022 3:24 pm)

Board footera