26/6/2022 9:15 pm  #1

It's been awhile and I have a question.

It's me Carmela! My mom passed away the end of January. It's been a rough couple of months. Miss her something terrible! Anyway, today is my birthday and I decided to finally come back here and see what's going on. First, I hope Malcolm is feeling better. My question is-Where was Bing when the AFI had a tribute to James Cagney in March 1974? Bing and Jim were always 2 of my favorites. I would have loved to have seen Bing at the event. Malcolm will probably know the answer. Anyway, it's great to be back! I'm even behind on my Bing mags. I haven't read the last four!

26/6/2022 9:44 pm  #2

Re: It's been awhile and I have a question.

Welcome back, Carmela.  Sorry to hear about your recent troubles.  It's a good feeling though to get back in the swing of things and enjoy again that which always has brought a bit of happiness to you.  I guess that's what hobbies are all about.   Collecting what interests you has always been a hobby of mine and that included Bing records.  I hope you'll enjoy posting here again and hearing Bing things from others.

27/6/2022 12:21 pm  #3

Blonde56 wrote:

It's me Carmela! My mom passed away the end of January. It's been a rough couple of months. Miss her something terrible! Anyway, today is my birthday and I decided to finally come back here and see what's going on. First, I hope Malcolm is feeling better. My question is-Where was Bing when the AFI had a tribute to James Cagney in March 1974? Bing and Jim were always 2 of my favorites. I would have loved to have seen Bing at the event. Malcolm will probably know the answer. Anyway, it's great to be back! I'm even behind on my Bing mags. I haven't read the last four!

So sorry about your loss but welcome back!

I feel that Bing and Jimmy Cagney were friendly when they did bond shows together during the war, but their paths did not cross much in later years. 1974 was a busy year for Bing too with his health issues and then getting back into making records consistently again.

28/6/2022 7:52 pm  #4

Thanks David and Archie! David, I thought it was health issues too. I spotted a guy that looks like Bing's son Harry. Maybe he sent Harry in his place?

29/6/2022 2:52 am  #5

Blonde56 wrote:

Thanks David and Archie! David, I thought it was health issues too. I spotted a guy that looks like Bing's son Harry. Maybe he sent Harry in his place?

I'll have to check it out. I haven't seen the Jimmy Cagney tribute in years. I see Julie Andrews (Bing's costar in High Tor) got the AFI Lifetime Award this year.

Board footera