26/6/2022 9:15 pm  #1

It's been awhile and I have a question.

It's me Carmela! My mom passed away the end of January. It's been a rough couple of months. Miss her something terrible! Anyway, today is my birthday and I decided to finally come back here and see what's going on. First, I hope Malcolm is feeling better. My question is-Where was Bing when the AFI had a tribute to James Cagney in March 1974? Bing and Jim were always 2 of my favorites. I would have loved to have seen Bing at the event. Malcolm will probably know the answer. Anyway, it's great to be back! I'm even behind on my Bing mags. I haven't read the last four!

27/6/2022 12:21 pm  #2

Re: It's been awhile and I have a question.

Blonde56 wrote:

It's me Carmela! My mom passed away the end of January. It's been a rough couple of months. Miss her something terrible! Anyway, today is my birthday and I decided to finally come back here and see what's going on. First, I hope Malcolm is feeling better. My question is-Where was Bing when the AFI had a tribute to James Cagney in March 1974? Bing and Jim were always 2 of my favorites. I would have loved to have seen Bing at the event. Malcolm will probably know the answer. Anyway, it's great to be back! I'm even behind on my Bing mags. I haven't read the last four!

So sorry about your loss but welcome back!

I feel that Bing and Jimmy Cagney were friendly when they did bond shows together during the war, but their paths did not cross much in later years. 1974 was a busy year for Bing too with his health issues and then getting back into making records consistently again.

28/6/2022 7:52 pm  #3

Thanks David and Archie! David, I thought it was health issues too. I spotted a guy that looks like Bing's son Harry. Maybe he sent Harry in his place?

29/6/2022 2:52 am  #4

Blonde56 wrote:

Thanks David and Archie! David, I thought it was health issues too. I spotted a guy that looks like Bing's son Harry. Maybe he sent Harry in his place?

I'll have to check it out. I haven't seen the Jimmy Cagney tribute in years. I see Julie Andrews (Bing's costar in High Tor) got the AFI Lifetime Award this year.

19/9/2022 3:08 pm  #5

Blonde56 wrote:

Hello Carmela.

Although we have previously exchanged a number of messages on the board, I have just noticed this particular posting of yours.

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing in January. I cannot imagine the grief. I hope the subsequent months that have passed have provided some time to grieve, evaluate and if possible, time to slightly adjust?

With regard to Bing and the AFI salute to James Cagney: It's a programme I have been most fond for many years. It's strange but I had never considered Bing's lack of attendance, there - despite Bob Hope's participation and the dazzling array of just about every top flight Hollywood name present.

I now fully appreciate dear Bing during mid-March, 1974 (the Cagney tribute seems to have taken place on the thirteenth) was still recuperating at the time from his near fatal illness and not back in harness until (according to everyone's unsurpassed Crosby chronicler, our Malcolm Macfarlane) August of that year.

Subsequently, he wasn't present for that May's
“That's Entertainment” landmark premiere in Los Angeles. I've noticed in the premiere footage that Frank Sinatra, another presenting participant in the film, seemed also conspicuous by his absence.

However, I still get more than a hunch that it isn't a given that a healthy Bing would have attended the Cagney tribute. As noted elsewhere, he sometimes surprised people at his non-attendance at various, expected large events. 

Having semi-retired and making that deliberate decision to take himself and his new, second family away from the centre of things by having long since moved to Hillsborough, I believe Bing's renowned ambivalence to large tinsel town, celebratory gatherings and his own quieter views on fame (including those modest ones of his own) and previous, only tenuous professional links to Mr Cagney, could still have contributed to him staying away?

As a potential example and again, in Malcolm's outstanding book, there doesn't seem to be anything of Bing appearing at or participating in any Acadamy Awards shows, post 1961. 

What do you think, Carmela? I know this AFI evening was an even rarer outing for self-proclaimed “country boy” Cagney. And yes (with apologies for forgetting who observed this), wouldn't it have been wonderful if Doris Day had sung “You Made Me Love You”, live at the event, direct from the stage to Jim, instead of the still glorious excerpt being used?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (19/9/2022 3:28 pm)

20/9/2022 4:14 pm  #6

Thanks Ian! Brilliant deductions! I agree about Doris Day singing song live. I remember when the show first aired, I was 10 yrs. old. The advertisements kept  mentioning that Elton John would be on the show. I was a huge fan of Elton's.  When he didn't appear, I was so upset. But I loved the show anyway because I always loved Cagney, Mcqueen, Gorshen and Hope! By the way, I met Sir Elton John several times from 1992 to 2005. Always, stopped to sign stuff for me. And after Princess Diana's death gave me a huge hug! Did you know John Lennon was sitting at one of the tables with May Pang at Cagney tribute.

24/9/2022 11:40 pm  #7

Elton John??? Goodness gracious! Where was the connection there, I wonder? Perhaps he was due to perform some special material with regard to Mr Cagney - in some of his USA celebratory costume finery of the period. I do know he is a fan of vintage performers, having sighted in the past a youthful Bing's inspirer, Al Jolson and also Liberace. Old Elton is certainly one of the greats!

Also unexpectedly, one person who was present at that particular AFI gala and who unplanned, indirectly contributed to the evening from the audience was the film director Sam Peckinpah. Apparently drunk (all edited out of the broadcast version's final cut, of course), he began heckling an also drunk Jack Lemmon, who began his part of his onstage presentation by reportedly speaking lengthily about himself and his career (this was before he was joined by Shirley MacLaine).

I believe from the book I read, that Peckinpah gave voice to his lost patience with Lemmon - and was eventually ejected. It was then that Jack did his very short joint business with MacLaine (which you'll notice he fumbled and mistimed, bless him). I thought it strange on first viewing, that both were onstage for such a short time. Usually with these AFI shows, the shorter contibutions are delivered from the audience. Geoge Stevens Jr's scissors must have been working overtime.

What Father O'Malley would have made of all this, heaven only knows!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (25/9/2022 9:32 am)

25/9/2022 2:02 am  #8

For an antidote from all that self congratulation, how about this for sheer elegance, modest and economy?
Bing accepting his own Oscar from Gary Cooper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSrIGIMC6ak

28/9/2022 12:22 am  #9

Love Bing and Gary in that clip! Bing looks so handsome there! Ian, Florida is awaiting your visit. Hurricane Ian! Blimey!

28/9/2022 12:51 am  #10

I'll try to be gentle with Florida, Carmel.

I'd tried to source Bing's full speech on accepting his Oscar. It's only another sentence or so, where he says something along the lines about being a tired old singer, undeserving of the award. He and Gary were so friendly and admiring of each other. I'm sorry that "Coop" didn't live to see Bing's character performance in the 1966 remake of the western classic, "Stagecoach". I think he would have been mightily impressed by his critically acclaimed performance. 

Bing always looked attractively friendly and accessible, didn't he? That he was reportedly not nearly as at ease with his fame as for example, Bob Hope - is something I find most intriguing about this great artiste. He did so much to give the impression of demystifying fame in general in an ever growing modern media age. He always appeared so engagingly casual in all that he visibly did. That in itself was such an achievement. 

06/10/2022 3:01 am  #11

I agree Ian!

Board footera