22/12/2021 5:53 pm  #1

MALCOLM & ANTON'S YEARLY BING CROSBY PODCAST

Dear all,

For the past several years, Malcolm and I have been recording a Bing Crosby podcast every December. It is just a casual conversation about a Bing-related topic, and this year it's a videocast about how Bing's voice changed throughout the decades. If you're snowbound or there's a bus strike or somethin', perhaps you would like to check it out.  Here's the link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLp-FjmpC0 

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season wherever you may be!

Best,

AGF

29/12/2021 6:29 pm  #2

Re: MALCOLM & ANTON'S YEARLY BING CROSBY PODCAST

A very enjoyable listen! There is so much I wish you had gone more in depth into, but I suppose it would have been a 3 hour video if you had!

I think one interesting thing is you both talk about Bing's voice in the 70's and how it had changed and while certainly I agree he no longer had some of the highs in his voice, some of the range etc. I think the remarkable thing is how much his voice had stayed the same. I sometimes put songs on from the 50's-70's and am always amazed at how similar he sounds even on recordings decades apart. 

There are too many singers to mention that certainly either didn't have a much to work with as they got into their 70's or didn't recognize or didn't want to adapt to their changing "strengths" . Aretha Franklin is a singer whom I always think that if she had just concentrated on where her voice sounded best her last albums would have been so much better!

I do think that as Bing got older he knew what he could do and what he couldn't and focused on his strengths but the strengths were pretty impressive and his 70's Christmas album, "A Southern Memoir", "Bing n' Basie"  and on and on, showed he still retained a lot of usable voice and range, with all the warmth and timbre that he displayed decades before. 

30/12/2021 4:08 am  #3

That's an interesting hour from Malcolm and Anton. My favourite Bing years as a singer varies according to my mood, among other things. Recently I've been tuning in the David Duncan's Bing Crosby: The Hollywood Years on Youtube and the mid-thirties' movie songs were so well sung (and were good songs0 so they're heard to beat.

30/12/2021 7:47 am  #4

Ron1972 is so right when he says that there was so much more we could have said. Wish we had looked at Bing's recordings of the same songs over the years (e.g. Where the Blue of the Night, June in January, Stardust etc.). Perhaps next year. I was annoyed that the sound of the recordings I played did not come over too well. They sounded loud my end but it wasn't picked up.

Board footera