05/4/2020 10:23 am  #1

The Great "What If" Thread

If Bing hadn't died when he did, or if he had recovered from his heart attack, do you think he would have continued to record? Would he have ever retired completely?

Thoughts?

Take care everyone and stay safe!

05/4/2020 11:18 am  #2

Re: The Great "What If" Thread

John Turner wrote:

If Bing hadn't died when he did, or if he had recovered from his heart attack, do you think he would have continued to record? Would he have ever retired completely?

He would almost certainly have continued. There had been mention of the possibility of several projects including a Road film. At one time a title Road To Tomorrow was suggested then there was mention of Road To The Fountain Of Youth.

05/4/2020 4:48 pm  #3

There was talk of an album of a Noel Coward tunes, of which he wrote some good ditties as well.

05/4/2020 8:47 pm  #4

There was also a planned Bob Hope duet album in the same vein as the Fred Astaire duet album.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

06/4/2020 2:34 am  #5

If they had gone through with Road to the Fountain of Youth, I hope they would have returned with Dottie as didn’t care for Joan Collins and that Dottie was pushed aside for Hong Kong, which was probably the worst of the Road movies.
Speaking of Joan, she arrived at the Midland Hotel  Manchester, where I was working, prior to lunch and asked the Head Waiter where all the men were.  Come dinner time there were a few turned up like bees around a honey pot.

06/4/2020 10:41 am  #6

Thanks everyone. What we lost with such an untimely death!

06/4/2020 4:08 pm  #7

I agree what everyone else has said here, on top of that I think most artists want to work forever, or at least as long as they can do reasonably good work!

A lot of Bing's peers continued to work and be active as long as they were able, just look how long Bob Hope continued to work!

06/4/2020 7:07 pm  #8

Bob did it for the money money money.
Bing and Bob appeared on BBC and were being paid the normal fee. Story is that Bing didn’t wish to receive the fee but Hope couldn’t get his hands on the money quick enough and because of the arrangement/agreement Bing had to accept his fee.
Think he always did his BBC appearances - wireless or TV for free.

07/4/2020 1:25 pm  #9

Ron Field wrote:

Bob did it for the money money money.
Bing and Bob appeared on BBC and were being paid the normal fee. Story is that Bing didn’t wish to receive the fee but Hope couldn’t get his hands on the money quick enough and because of the arrangement/agreement Bing had to accept his fee.
Think he always did his BBC appearances - wireless or TV for free.

Bing really loved the BBC. Not heard this story before though. Thanks for sharing Ron! 

08/4/2020 11:23 am  #10

Although Bing appeared on Vera Lynn’s TV show in September 1975, I’ve always thought it was a great shame that time couldn’t have been found while Bing was in the UK in July, August and September of that year, for them to go into a studio to record an album. Possibly a “themed” album with each of them singing the other’s wartime hits. Bing on “We’ll Meet Again”, Vera singing “Sunday, Monday or Always”, duetting on “Yours”...

Board footera