09/10/2017 11:25 am  #1

What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

In a recent post I noted that Ive been listening to the new Johnny Mathis album (amongst my Bing listening) who at 82 years young has made an album of contemporary songs. He still sounds in fabulous voice.

It got me thinking.....what else is everybody listening to right now??? Both Bing and non-Bing. Interested to see what people are favouring at the moment and see if we can introduce each other to new audio delights.

My current frequent players are:

Johnny Mathis - The Great New American Songbook
Carla Bruni - French Touch
Bing Crosby Through the Years Volume 6
David Crosby (not related) Sky Trails
Carpenters - Made In America.

10/10/2017 1:01 am  #2

Re: What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

Sirius Radio has started a Billy Joel channel so I have actually been listening to his music. He was great in the 70s and 80s. 

As for the older fellas, I have been relistening to a lot of Dick Haymes and Tony Martin lately. Tony Martin especially I think is overlooked.

15/10/2017 5:37 am  #3

I'm really enjoying the CDs on "The Great American Songbook" by Rod Stewart... who would have imagined that, for those of us who listened to him in the early and mid 1970s!  [By the way, if my recollection is correct, today, October 14, 2017, is 40 years after Bing's death. How much pleasure he still brings so many of us. RIP]
Mark

19/10/2017 3:30 am  #4

This morning I got out some old LPs of Johnny Mathis and Shirley Bassey and heard some beaut songs well sung. This arvo I've enjoyed Jonzo 50 as I once again work me way through the series chronologically and the variety of the songs Bing recorded never ceases to amaze me.

22/11/2017 4:05 pm  #5

After a stretch of listening to primarily Bing Crosby, I have settled into a groove of listening to some old and new favorites, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Michael Buble, Matt Monro, Bing, and a little Sinatra. 

22/11/2017 4:11 pm  #6

After a stretch of listening to primarily Bing Crosby, I have settled into a groove of listening to some old and new favorites, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Michael Buble, Matt Monro, Bing, and a little Sinatra. 

22/11/2017 4:13 pm  #7

Since I have been writing a short piece about him for my blog, Jazz Flashes, I've been listening to the rather obscure '50s and '60s vocalist Frank D'Rone, particularly his 1960 Mercury album After the Ball. Very recommendable.

Besides Bing and Sinatra, I've been listening also to quite a bit of Dick Haymes, one of my favorite crooners from the period. And then, of course, plenty of jazz—Jackie McLean, Stanley Turrentine, Kenny Dorham, Chet Baker, Coleman Hawkins, and on and on...

03/12/2017 7:04 am  #8

Some British dance bands of the 1930s have been entertaining me, thanks to some CDs which friends have given me. The music which groups led by Jack Hylton, Ambrose, Roy Fox and others was splendid and received a lot of airplay on the wireless in Australia in those years.

03/12/2017 7:48 pm  #9

Lately I have been listening to some musical soundtracks - I am rediscovering the soundtrack to Good News (1947) and Silk Stockings (1957).

04/12/2017 1:22 am  #10

I like some of the songs from 'silk stockings'.
Remember seeing the film in Seattle in 1957. Another film in LA was 'invitation to the dance' near Wiltshire Blvd in 1957 and in Vancouver, where I was then living 'around the world'
Like the Astaire song from SS - I like the looks of you.

31/12/2019 9:33 pm  #11

I usually will listen to Bing, Sinatra, and some Astaire.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

12/1/2020 12:32 am  #12

A few years ago a 4-CD set titled FROM MELBA TO SUTHERLAND. AUSTRALIAN SINGERS ON RECORD was released on the Decca label. It's an anthology including, obviously, recordings by Aussie's most famous sopranos Dame Nellie Melba and Dame Joan Sutherland and other singers less well known. Most of the songs are what would have been described as 'serious' music but 'When father papered the parlour' by Billy Williams in 1910 provides some variety. As for as I can tell, only two of the songs were recorded by Bing: 'We'll gather lilacs' and 'Comi' through the rye'. Two of the tracks are by a soprano who was the subject of a Hollywood biopic many decades ago, titled (I think) INTERRUPTED MELODY. She was Marjorie Lawrence who was struck down by paralysis in her prime but returned to the stage in a wheelchair in 1942. I regularly play selections from this set when I feel like a change from Bing.

27/3/2020 11:11 am  #13

Outside Bing I listen to a lot of classical music, mostly on BBC Radio 3. I also love The Beatles, Shirley Bassey and Cilla Black. Other than that I tend not to bother. 

06/4/2020 3:54 pm  #14

I've been listening to a lot of Perry Como, some Nat King Cole, and the newest Matt Monro release -=19px !importantStranger In Paradise - The Lost New York Sessions

11/4/2020 4:42 am  #15

Thirty minutes ago I finished listening to an hour of World War 2 music from a Sydney community radio station. Most of the songs were by British artists, notably Vera Lynn , Gracie Fields (related to our Ron?) and Joe Loss and others from USA (but no Bing or Andrerws Sisters). A wonderful hour of nostalgia.

11/4/2020 4:48 pm  #16

No, Graham, I’m a “D” (Field) and not an ‘S’.
Although, one of the Brothers at Marist Kogarah used to call me Gracie after her.
I used to say - No ‘S’

14/4/2020 4:08 pm  #17

Right now I am listening to some Kay Kyser.

Lately out of vocalists, I have really been drawn to Billy Eckstine. I never really listened to him too much until now. 

16/4/2020 4:55 am  #18

This morning I listened to an hour's music which originated in a community radio station in Sydney which broadcast recordings of some remote  broadcasts from the early 1940s from USA. They featured Les Brown's band with vocals by Doris Day, Fats Waller and others. Fascinating!

11/10/2021 2:41 pm  #19

I figured I would revive this thread. What non Bing are you listening to now?

Right now I am reading some bios on the big band leaders - Jimmie Lunceford, Bunny Berigan, T. Dorsey, etc. So I am listening to a lot of big band music. I am especially amazed at the Bunny Berigan Orchestra.

11/10/2021 4:02 pm  #20

I’ve been listening to a bunch of Nat King Cole lately and started liking Tony Bennett some.

11/10/2021 4:28 pm  #21

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I’ve been listening to a bunch of Nat King Cole lately and started liking Tony Bennett some.

You know regarding Tony Bennett, I knew he was talented but I never followed his music. After seeing the report on 60 Minutes with him and Lady Gaga, I have a better appreciation for Tony now.

11/10/2021 4:45 pm  #22

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

You know regarding Tony Bennett, I knew he was talented but I never followed his music. After seeing the report on 60 Minutes with him and Lady Gaga, I have a better appreciation for Tony now.

Funny thing about that, I didn't really like him at all before this, he seemed overrated to me. Especially with the endorsements from Bing and Frank. However hearing of his Alzheimer's disease and realizing that he's truly the last of the original crooners (along with Johnny Mathis), I decided to give him a try. The "Who Can I Turn To" album is very good.

11/10/2021 6:05 pm  #23

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Funny thing about that, I didn't really like him at all before this, he seemed overrated to me. Especially with the endorsements from Bing and Frank. However hearing of his Alzheimer's disease and realizing that he's truly the last of the original crooners (along with Johnny Mathis), I decided to give him a try. The "Who Can I Turn To" album is very good.

Here's the video that did it for me. It caused me to really take note of Tony!

11/10/2021 6:27 pm  #24

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

Here's the video that did it for me. It caused me to really take note of Tony!

Yes that is a very good video. It's really quite a wonder that he did that concert.

12/10/2021 2:11 am  #25

Archiefit wrote:

Back in the '70's when I used to go to record conventions and used record stores one of the artists I looked for was Tony Bennett.   I found a lot of Tony Bennett albums there with a lot of great songs on them.  Even his later non Columbia records from the '70's after Columbia let him go even those jazz type Tony & Bill Evans albums were good.   Columbia later realized the folly of their ways and brought Tony back.  BUT I didn't know he got senile, that's too bad.  I think that's the worse way to go out you don't even know what's happening (maybe it's better).

Tony was diagnosed when he was 90, so he had a really good life. Poor Rita Hayworth had the disease in her 40s. It's amazing but for 95 Tony can still sing.

The kids are in bed now so I went to my man cave/music room and just listened to Jo Stafford's 1956 album "Once Over Lightly" on the Columbia label. I turned off the lights and just listened to the album and kind of meditated. It's a great album if anyone out there likes Jo Stafford.

Board footera