08/11/2014 8:09 pm  #1

REVIEW OF 'BING 'N' BASIE'

Dear all,

I've been listening to Bing 'n' Basie quite a bit lately, and so I've decided to write and publish a review of that album in my blog Bing Crosby on CD. If you're interested, you can read it here:

http://bingcrosbyoncd.blogspot.com/2014/11/bing-n-basie-daybreak-records-1972.html

Thanks, and I hope everyone's having a great weekend! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

08/11/2014 9:46 pm  #2

Re: REVIEW OF 'BING 'N' BASIE'

An interesting review Anton.

Apart from the fact that some of the material was not best fitted to the artists, it is my personal belief that there could have been considerable improvement if the participants had been together in the studio.

You say "there doesn't appear to be a real connection between band and vocalist". Not surprising as they were separated by both time and space. Bing liked being with his musical support. 

The band recorded in Hollywood at the end of February/early March 1972, Bing overdubbed his contribution a couple of weeks later, in San Francisco.

But as you imply much is redeemed by three, possibly four, tracks but particularly "Hangin' Loose".

And I agree that the exclusion from the issued album of "If I Had A Hammer" is inexplicable. It is certainly better, in my view, than some of the tracks actually included.

09/11/2014 12:20 am  #3

Richard,

Thanks for your kind words about my review of Bing 'n' Basie. I also appreciate your comments about the possible reason why there doesn't seem to be much of a connection between Bing and the Basie band. Not much has been written about this LP—at least not in the books I have http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
— and so I actually wasn't aware of the fact that Bing and Basie hadn't been together in the studio when the album was recorded. Therefore, I've added the following sentence to the review to reflect that fact:

"This lack of connection between Bing and the band, though, isn't surprising in the light of the fact that Crosby overdubbed his vocals onto tracks that the Basie orchestra had recorded previously, a practice that was never favored by the singer."

Thanks again!

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (09/11/2014 12:22 am)

11/11/2014 11:40 pm  #4

I listen tio this LP often. I like it. Fine review!

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

13/11/2014 10:28 pm  #5

Thanks, Paul! I am glad you enjoyed the review. I also like Bing 'n' Basie; it's just one of those cases where I wish they'd done a different kind of collaboration, but I still like the album as it is and play it quite often.

26/11/2014 6:09 am  #6

That's an interesting review Anton but as I've not heard these recordings I'm unable to agree or disagree. I do have the Sinatra-Basie LP and believe it's definitely not one of Frank's best.

03/3/2020 4:28 am  #7

I have never liked Count Basie's recordings much, I like the sound of a whole orchestra backing even if it's a jazz arrangement.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

03/3/2020 10:04 pm  #8

I find the "Bing with Basie" album very underwelming.  Had it had the kind of song choices and arrangements used in Tony Bennet's and Ella Fitzgerald's albums with Basie, the album would be unforgettable. Bing would have knocked it out of the park. Unfortunately, it didn't have those kinds of song choices or arrangements, and it is, sadly, rather forgettable.

To put it another way, I think Bing deserved to have top-notch, creative arrangements, and a set of excellent standards, going into that project.  I don't know why he didn't get that or who is to blame, but his talent deserved that, and he didn't get that level of quality music and material to work with.

03/3/2020 10:24 pm  #9

I agree with on on the song choices, keep in, say, Hangin' Loose then maybe include some jazz standards or songs he only recorded for radio, and I think the album would be better than the Sinatra-Basie collaborations. Like I said earlier about Count Basie, I don't like most of his recordings, even with Sinatra, but maybe Quincy Jones could have come to work with Basie again on the arrangements for Crosby. Sadly it never happened.

Also Steve, I just realized this, I don't like to share my location so I won't say exactly where I'm at, but you live right across from me, as I live in Clinton County in Iowa.

04/3/2020 4:54 am  #10

Due to the meanderings of the big river, it looks like you'd be a good 3 hour drive almost due North of me.  A shorter drive when I was younger and only winked at the speed limit laws,  Maybe actually a lot longer than three hours, as I'm now a pokey old geezer who stays off of the Interstate to take the scenic route, not wanting to miss any of the cows and barns and old broken windmills along the way.  ;)

My older brother went to college in Mt. Carroll, Illinois, not far from Savannah, not so far up river from you. I've been through that country a few times.

04/3/2020 9:04 pm  #11

I’ve been to Mount Carroll to get a dog once.

Board footera