17/12/2019 1:40 am  #1

PODCAST: BING CROSBY AT THE MOVIES

Dear all,

Like every year around this time, Malcolm Macfarlane and I recorded today our yearly Bing Crosby podcast. It is our fourth in the series, and this time we spent about an hour discussing Bing's film career. Towards the end of the program we also reveal our top-five Crosby movies, and we agree on almost all of them!

So, if you're snowbound this Christmas, or there's a bus strike or something (as Bing himself would say), here is the link where you may listen to our entire conversation about Bing's films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdhr3wKYU4s 

We had a great time chatting, and as always, we hope you find it interesting. Of course, we welcome any comments you may have about the podcast.

Happy holidays everyone!

AGF

17/12/2019 6:08 pm  #2

Re: PODCAST: BING CROSBY AT THE MOVIES

Well done, gents - most enjoyable!

Glad we showed the musical moments from Going My Way last Saturday!

Choosing 5 favourite films is no easier than choosing 5 records, really!

17/12/2019 6:18 pm  #3

Jace wrote:

Well done, gents - most enjoyable!

Glad we showed the musical moments from Going My Way last Saturday!

Choosing 5 favourite films is no easier than choosing 5 records, really!

I think picking 5 favorite records is nearly impossible - because depends on mood, etc.

For movies, I have found that my top five Bing movies usually stay the same.

17/12/2019 8:08 pm  #4

A very interesting trans - Atlantic chat. 

Speaking for myself I mentally subdivide Bing's films into categories - The Roads, the early musicals. the later more substantial musicals (from Holiday Inn), the dramas, etc, and making my ranking of preferences within each category, because I find it very difficult to rationalise comparisons across the subgroups. 

But any way that you cut the cake, the changes in character of the films over the years, discussed in this way, highlights the fact that Bing was continually self - renewing, changing his operational genre, and sometimes running several in parallel.   

Last edited by Richard Baker (17/12/2019 8:09 pm)

Board footera