02/4/2015 8:12 am  #1

The King Of Jazz

A goodish version of The King Of Jazz has been put up on Youtube. I think it is not totally complete as it is claimed to be (it looks to be several minutes short), but worth another view. (IMDB says 98 minutes, and Timothy Morgereth in his reference book, says 103 minutes, yet the Youtube example is 91 minutes).

Whilst at it, I'll add another Youtube offering - "I Surrender Dear", one of Bing's early Mack Sennett shorts. Brief scenes from these early films invariably appear in any biographical treatment of Bing but the full length versions are not often seen.

03/4/2015 12:46 am  #2

Re: The King Of Jazz

Richard,

Thank you so much for these, particularly The King of Jazz! I used to have it an old VHS tape of it, but I can't find it any more, and I've been wanting to watch the movie again for quite a while. I guess I'll try to watch it as soon as possible, just in case they somehow take it down, which sometimes happens with YouTube videos. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone reissued The King of Jazz on DVD or Blu-Ray? While it may not be a great musical, it is at least an interesting historical artifact and offers a good chance to see the great Whiteman orchestra and Bing at the beginning of his career with the Rhythm Boys. Also, while the "King of Jazz" moniker is definitely exaggerated when applied to Pops Whiteman, there is no doubt that his music should be of interest to anyone interested in vintage pop and early (symphonic) jazz.

12/4/2015 1:47 am  #3

Thank you Richard because I've now been able to watch KING OF JAZZ for the first time. It's an impressive piece of cinema and the two-strip Technicolor treatment is splendid. Prior to its first screening in Australia in June 1930 it was very heavily promoted in the trade press to cinema owners. Needless to say, the advertisements to the public in the daily press made no reference to Bing or the Rhythm Boys. Reviewers described it as 'a gorgeous extravaganza' and 'another winner' (from Universal). Its first runs were modest. In 1933 a revised 66-minute version was screened here. By then Bing was becoming better-known and the ads for the film featured him, John Boles and Jeanatte Loff but did not mention Paul Whiteman.

12/4/2015 9:24 am  #4

Anton G.-F. wrote:

Richard,

- - I guess I'll try to watch it as soon as possible, just in case they somehow take it down, which sometimes happens with YouTube videos.

Anton, your comment suggests that you might be unaware that it is possible to download much of what is on Youtube, (though some material is protected), thus both enabling you to watch off line, avoid the problem of interesting items vanishing, and assisting those with slow connections in avoiding multiple blips and freezes when watching in "real time".

There are several software applications that download and manage Youtube audio and video clips. One that is free and does not seem to suffer any pestilential side effects is Free YouTube Download from DVDVideoSoft here http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-Download.htm#.VSo2evnF_To
They also have a number of other useful tools - Audio and Video converters etc. http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

12/4/2015 11:44 am  #5

Thanks for that, Richard - I didn't realise that there were applications available to download files from YouTube.
I searched on Google for one specific to i-pad and I've just installed it and downloaded "The King of Jazz" to watch, well - anywhere!
This is going to be a great resource, so many thanks for pointing it out...

13/4/2015 9:22 am  #6

Richard Baker wrote:

Youtube audio and video clips. One that is free and does not seem to suffer any pestilential side effects is Free YouTube Download from DVDVideoSoft here http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-Download.htm#.VSo2evnF_To

I have had an email to tell me that I am wrong about the highlighted part of my earlier message. My informant tells me that the installation program mounts some additional items and adds something to the toolbar.
I fear that I was assuming that those who download applications would be aware of the pitfalls.
What I said is correct, but only if you take some basic precautions - 

NEVER just run an installation program, particularly one from a free source, on it's default configuration. Do not accept such things as browser extensions, alterations to home page, change in search engine, etc, all of which are likely to cause annoyance. Just install the minimum package. So as the installation package runs, untick all those bits that are not core to the application itself. Just disallow all the extras. Read the conditions!
I am sorry if any have fallen into a trap. If anyone has and wants help in reverting to an earlier state, drop me an email, and I'll try to help.

Speaking of which, I have had another email from a source unknown to me, containing many links to various Bing Crosby music downloads, all of which contain .ru extensions, indicating sites based in Russia. My personal reaction is one of suspicion. If anyone else has received anything similar I suggest it is best ignored and deleted. I have not tested any of the links but I suggest that wariness is best. In fact I personally avoid all such apparently tempting items.  

22/1/2016 4:39 am  #7

I have been very interested in the King Of Jazz since I first learned about it. I have viewed it dozens of times, but not lately. I really should watch it again, soon. I found that the more I viewed it, the more details I noticed that I had failed to notice the previous viewings. The version available on VHS and now DVD would be the 93 minute version. I read about a year ago that an original copy of the full film as released, which I guess is the 103 minute version, was found in Europe somewhere. They say the color quality is far superior to the VHS/DVD copies out there today, but that the film is very fragile and will need to be handled with care in restoring it. It could then be reissued, with brilliant color and the cut footage restored. It is supposedly in the hands of some film restoring organization, but no one seems to know when that version might be available to the viewing public.

It was made in a completely different time and culture, but I found that it is like an olive, the more you view it the more you get to like and appreciate it. Look for the youngest Walter Brennan you will ever see on film in some of the small comedy sketches. And then there is Jeannie Lang, cuteness personified. She is worth the price of admission even without Bing. There is so much more, but don't take my word for it, watch it yourself. VHS and DVD versions are on sale on ebay regularly.

29/3/2016 6:22 am  #8

There's an appeal under way to raise funds for a new book about the film. See https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/587220788/king-of-jazz-paul-whitemans-technicolor-revue

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (29/3/2016 6:23 am)

31/3/2016 6:14 am  #9

Universal’s new restoration of KING OF JAZZ will premiere at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City in May. It will be the opening night film in a series dedicated to Universal’s output under Carl Laemmle, Jr. in the 1930s. MoMA curator Dave Kehr is programming the impressive 32-film series, which will run for a month and will include the premieres of several new preservations and restorations from Universal. 
It will be shown May 13 & 14 (with a repeat airing June 14) FREE at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.  

31/3/2016 4:17 pm  #10

I just saw King of Jazz for the first time a couple of month ago. I was afraid of it 'being taken down' from YouTube as well. I did a search and found it on archive.org, I believe. So I downloaded it directly to my computer. I find a lot of good stuff at archive.org in terms of audio, but this was the first 'video' I downloaded. The quality is certainly not perfect, but I think it's comparable to the YouTube version.

That's so cool, Malcolm! Now I just have to find a way to get to NYC...

04/4/2016 9:02 pm  #11

Hello!

I am the co-author of the new book about "King of Jazz" that Malcolm Macfarlane kindly linked to.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the film, the book, or the restoration.

My co-author David Pierce and I have been advising the Universal restoration department since last August. We are very excited that the restoration is now wrapping up and will be premiering in May. I do want to add that contrary to what Malcolm posted, the screenings at The Museum of Modern Art are not free (unless you are an existing member).

For those of you in Europe, this new restoration will be premiering at the film festival Il Cinema Ritrovato in Bologna in June.

James

12/4/2016 3:35 am  #12

For James Layton

I would like to know if DVDs of the newly restored "King Of Jazz" will be available for purchase.

Also, what is the content of the ten minutes in this version versus the 93 minute version.

Finally, when will the book be available?

Thanks, Jim Kukura

12/4/2016 1:22 pm  #13

Thanks for your message Jim. Unfortunately it is a little too early to talk about any DVD plans at this stage. Universal are at this moment still concentrating on completing the complicated restoration work in time for May.

The 93 minute version of the film that we know well from the old VHS release and TV broadcasts features all of the Bing Crosby footage that was ever in the film. The newly recovered footage and audio mostly consists of previously lost introductions to some of the numbers, an expansion of "The Property Man" sketch with Jack White, a comedy sketch called "The Piccolo Player" featuring Paul Whiteman and William Kent, and the film's original exit music.

The book will be available to Kickstarter supporters in September 2016. We are not yet sure if it will become more widely available after that.

I will tease that the sections in the film with Bing have never looked so good. His close-up in the "Bluebirds" number is simply breathtaking!

James

13/4/2016 9:00 am  #14

jameslayton wrote:

Thanks for your message Jim. Unfortunately it is a little too early to talk about any DVD plans at this stage. Universal are at this moment still concentrating on completing the complicated restoration work in time for May.

The 93 minute version of the film that we know well from the old VHS release and TV broadcasts features all of the Bing Crosby footage that was ever in the film. The newly recovered footage and audio mostly consists of previously lost introductions to some of the numbers, an expansion of "The Property Man" sketch with Jack White, a comedy sketch called "The Piccolo Player" featuring Paul Whiteman and William Kent, and the film's original exit music.

The book will be available to Kickstarter supporters in September 2016. We are not yet sure if it will become more widely available after that.

I will tease that the sections in the film with Bing have never looked so good. His close-up in the "Bluebirds" number is simply breathtaking!

James

Wow, this is very exciting news! I can't wait to see Universal's restoration!

03/5/2016 10:42 pm  #15

We have a few major updates to announce as our Kickstarter campaign continues.

First up, we are delighted to announce that singer, historian, and music revivalist Michael Feinstein has come on board to write a foreword to our book, King of Jazz: Paul Whiteman's Technicolor Revue. More info here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/587220788/king-of-jazz-paul-whitemans-technicolor-revue/posts/1560395

Secondly, we've just announced our stretch goal. We're hoping to raise an additional $4,500 to make our book even better, with more pages, and over 50 exciting new images. Lots of extra detail can be found here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/587220788/king-of-jazz-paul-whitemans-technicolor-revue/posts/1565737

James

04/5/2016 3:35 am  #16

I have checked out the website of the Museum of Modern Art in New York and can find no information about the screening of the restored "King of Jazz". Nothing about viewing times, admission costs, or even acknowledging that the screening will take place. Can James Layton or someone clue me in as to how I can make plans to attend the June screening?

04/5/2016 12:42 pm  #17

Hi Jim,

Try this link: http://www.moma.org/calendar/events/2054?locale=en

As you can see, it is currently possible to reserve tickets for the May 13 and 14 events, but tickets for the June 14 screening will not be available until May 31. Gary Giddins will be introducing the latter screening.

Best,
James

20/5/2016 5:11 pm  #18

If you were unable to attend the recent KING OF JAZZ restoration premiere at The Museum of Modern Art in NYC, blogger Will McKinley wrote up a nice summary post: https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/king-of-jazz-1930-restoration-debuts-to-cheers-and-tears/

And there are just 55 hours to go to secure your copy of our forthcoming book KING OF JAZZ: PAUL WHITEMAN'S TECHNICOLOR REVUE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/587220788/king-of-jazz-paul-whitemans-technicolor-revue

30/6/2016 11:57 pm  #19

Clip of the restoration - involving Bing! The "Happy Feet" number...

http://video.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-cultura/king-of-jazz-restaurato-a-bologna-bing-crosby/243380/243421

My copy of King of Jazz - for comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhavZ71EUkk

01/7/2016 3:01 am  #20

I did get to the viewing at MoMa on June 14th. The restoration is really fantastic. I sure hope they make a DVD available to the public soon. When I walked into the lobby, I saw Gary Giddens standing there and quickly and briefly introduced myself as someone he met very briefly at Hofstra. Gary gave an enlightening and entertaining introduction to the screening. I guess I was expecting too much, because there were some disappointments for me. First, there were still some herky-jerky film flashes at the ends od some of the sequences. The additional footage seems to have been 1. longer version of the Fish Story with Jack White; 2. A new comedy skit with William Kent hiding in a closet (that I did not get); 3. All the nationalities being added to the Melting Pot in the finale, where only two are added in the version at large. I was also disappointed that there was a lot of laughter at much of the film that was not intended to be amusing. Many people at MoMA that evening did not seem to understand that, although this is far from current sate-of-the-art entertaining, what was on the screen was state-of-the-art when this film was made in 1929.

As I was riding the train back to the MetroPark where I left my car, I was rehashing the film as I had just seen it, in my mind. Since I had seen the film about 50 times myself, I was anxious to see what the audience reaction would be to some of the comedy skits. Then I realized that two skits that we have in the current version were missing entirely from the restored version. And the next day, I remembered a third comedy skit missing from the restored version. Perhaps James Layton or someone else can comment on what happened to those skits in the restoration.

If anyone would like to go back to Steven Lewis Bing Crosby Internet Museum and check out my writings about the King Of Jazz those many years ago, You will find I was quite the King Of Jazz groupie even back then. It is like an olive, once you get used to it you enjoy more and more.

17/8/2016 4:07 pm  #21

We're excited to announce that King of Jazz: Paul Whiteman's Technicolor Revue is now available to pre-order! The book will be made available in a limited run from November 21, 2016 -- one month after our generous Kickstarter supporters receive their advance copies. Please visit our new website for more information: http://kingofjazzbook.com/

Last edited by jameslayton (17/8/2016 4:07 pm)

21/8/2016 12:07 pm  #22

James,  Just tried to place an order for the book for one of our members. The cost is quoted at $50 plus $20 for postage outside the USA. However when I went to pay with PayPal, the postage became $35. Which is right please?

21/8/2016 2:58 pm  #23

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for alerting me to this issue.

The correct cost for international shipping is $20 and we are in the process of changing this. Hopefully all will be fixed by tomorrow. Please try again then.

Thank you for your support.

James

22/8/2016 5:13 am  #24

Thanks, James. Much appreciated.

13/10/2016 1:30 pm  #25

We're excited to release a new promotional video to show off our book. Copies ordered directly through our website kingofjazzbook.com will be signed by the authors and be shipped several weeks before the official release date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls9WgjYQAzA

Board footera