12/3/2015 10:01 pm  #1

"Lost Radio Recordings" JPS Records

This just popped up on Amazon for release on the 27th April 2015.

"Lost Radio Recordings" JPS Records

Track List1. Paul Whiteman introduction and hand-over to Bing. - Paul Whiteman2. Medley: (Please - Learn To Croon - June in January - From the Top Of Your Head)3. On Treasure Island4. Red Sails in the Sunset5. Medley: (Thanks - Temptation - Love In Bloom - I Wish I Were Aladdin)6. Here s To Romance7. After YouÕve Gone8. Take Me Back To My Boots And Saddle9. Medley: (I Kiss Your Hand, Madame - I m Yours - I Surrender Dear - From Monday On)10. Alone11. Dinah12. Red Sails in the Sunset13. Anything Goes Medley: Sailor Beware14. I Get A Kick Out Of You with Kay Weber15. Anything Goes with the Dorsey Trio16. Moonburn17. My Heart And I18. Thanks A Million19. You Are My Lucky Star20. Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo21. I ll See You In My Dreams22. Take Me Back To My Boots And Saddle23. A Little Bit Independent24. Some Of These Days25. I Found A Dream26. With All My Heart
 No other details at the moment, not even on JSP website.

12/3/2015 11:17 pm  #2

Re: "Lost Radio Recordings" JPS Records

Kevin, Thanks for finding this.

Slightly fuller details here (in the form of sleeve picture and the information that the origin is Kraft Music Hall).

JSP (and their associates Proper) usually do a good job. 

http://www.propermusic.com/product-details/Bing-Crosby-Lost-Radio-Recordings-188358

The fact that John Newton is involved is confirmation of probable quality.

13/3/2015 2:40 am  #3

A couple of titles seem they were on 'The Crosby Brothers' 2 CD set especially enemy meeny miney mo

13/3/2015 7:23 am  #4

There will be an insert with the next BING magazine to enable ICC members to order this at an advantageous price. Geoff Milne has re-mastered these KMH tracks provided by John Newton and this is a "must" for fans of Bing. Accompaniment by Jimmy Dorsey and his Orchestra. 
Here are the full details:
5th December 1935 
1. Paul Whiteman introduction and hand-over to Bing.
2. Medley: (Please - Learn to Croon - June in January - From the Top of Your Head)
3. On Treasure Island
4. Red Sails in the Sunset
12th December 1935 
5.   Medley: (Thanks – Temptation - Love in Bloom - I Wish I Were Aladdin)                                          
6.   Here’s to Romance                                                              
7.   After You’ve Gone
8.   Take Me Back to My Boots and Saddle
19th December 1935 
9.   Medley: (I Kiss Your Hand, Madame – I’m Yours - I Surrender Dear - From Monday On)
10. Alone
11. Dinah
12. Red Sails in the Sunset
26th December 1935  
13.  Anything Goes Medley: Sailor Beware
14. I Get a Kick Out of You [Kay Weber]
15. Anything Goes [Dorsey Trio]
16. Moonburn
17. My Heart and I
18. Thanks a Million
19. You Are My Lucky Star
2nd January 1936 
20.  Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo
21.  I’ll See You in My Dreams
22.  Take Me Back to My Boots and Saddle
9th January 1936      
23.  A Little Bit Independent
24. Some of These Days                                               
25. I Found a Dream
26. With All My Heart                                  

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (13/3/2015 7:25 am)

26/3/2015 8:18 pm  #5

Wow - this is out sooner than I thought.  Good news, regardless!  I will await the order form in the upcoming BING.

Zane Johnson

20/4/2015 5:01 pm  #6

30 second samples of each track now available on Amazon for a wee preview.

20/4/2015 7:44 pm  #7

This is a very welcome release indeed! I've already received the new BING Magazine, and it included the insert you mention, so I've already written Wig Wiggins to order my copy. JSP is a fantastic reissue company. I have several of their jazz (and a couple of their country) releases, and they never disappoint, so I am really looking forward to this new Bing CD!

20/4/2015 11:51 pm  #8

By the way, although I am sure that most of you are already aware of this, a few years back JSP put out a 4-CD set of vintage Crosby radio recordings from 1932-37 appropriately entitled The Vintage Years. I have it and it's highly recommended. It pretty much covers a similar time period as the new CD that will soon be released, and on many of the tracks Bing is backed by the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, and if I am not mistaken, a few radio duets with Judy Garland are also included. For anyone who may be interested, the set can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Years-Bing-Crosby/dp/B000O591CY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1429573407&sr=1-1&keywords=bing+crosby+jsp

24/4/2015 3:57 pm  #9

I received my CD in the mail today from Wig - I know what I'll be listening to this weekend! 

Last edited by zanereed (24/4/2015 3:57 pm)

Zane Johnson

29/4/2015 11:50 am  #10

Any one listened to this new CD yet? I think it's excellent!

29/4/2015 7:26 pm  #11

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Any one listened to this new CD yet? I think it's excellent!

Had it for some days and am just absorbing it in full. It's especially interesting because it has such a continous run of the very earliest Kraft Music Hall broadcasts with Bing. 

Historically important even if it were not so entertaining - and it is very entertaining. 

30/4/2015 3:08 pm  #12

Dear all,

I received the new KMH release recently issued by JSP Records a few days ago from Wig, and since then I've been listening to it quite a bit.

I just wrote a review of it in my classic jazz blog, The Vintage Bandstand, and if you're interested, you can read it here:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2015/04/vintage-records-review-desk-7-duke.html

There are also reviews of two other CDs, by Duke Ellington and Martha Tilton, so you will have to scroll down a bit to read the Crosby review.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

01/5/2015 1:38 am  #13

I got my copy and listening to it as I write it. Great sound for being 80 years old!!!!!

I never get tired of Bing from any decade...My favorite radio recording is "You Are My Lucky Star". Simply brilliant and new to me.

01/5/2015 7:00 am  #14

Nice review, Anton.

01/5/2015 10:42 am  #15

Anton G.-F. wrote:

I just wrote a review of it in my classic jazz blog, The Vintage Bandstand, and if you're interested, you can read it here:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2015/04/vintage-records-review-desk-7-duke.html

A good review, Anton. I was interested in your comment about Kay Weber's performance on "I Get A Kick Out Of You", the first of two "guest" items. The band sound tentative and Kay's performance follows suit, which is odd because essentially the same forces (as The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra) had recorded the title only months previously, with identical and very distinctive arrangement. It is a cracker.

I feel sure that the inclusion of these guest items was right, because they give a feel for the nature of the early shows, but I hope that their presence has not resulted in the exclusion of more closely related Bing material. 

Kay Weber was in my opinion one of the better of the unrecognised "voices" of the big band era, but here puts in a lukewarm performance.

01/5/2015 2:16 pm  #16

Malcolm,

Thanks for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed the review. I absolutely love this new JSP release, and I hope there'll be more on the way!

Richard,

Thanks also for your comment. I like Kay Weber but was very surprised about the strangely tentative performance she puts in here. You're right that she's an unrecognized voice because, as far as I know, there are no CD releases on her as of this writing, which is too bad. I also agree with you that it was a good idea to include the Weber and Dorsey Trio guest spots because they give a better idea of what the KMH was like in those early days. I must say I also enjoy the 2007 JSP release The Vintage Years (the four-CD set) because of the wealth of material it includes, though there is no doubt that the material on this new CD is definitely more rare, and it is a very welcome addition to my Bing collection.

01/5/2015 6:00 pm  #17

Anton G.-F. wrote:

I like Kay Weber but was very surprised about the strangely tentative performance she puts in here. You're right that she's an unrecognized voice because, as far as I know, there are no CD releases on her as of this writing, which is too bad.

None featuring her as an individual performer as far as I know - you have to search hard among the Dorsey, Bob Crosby and Smith Ballew bands. Even then she is not always credited. A bit like Bing, the anonymous vocalist on his very earliest Whiteman recordings really. A brief item about her here.
http://www.parabrisas.com/d_weberk.php

02/5/2015 8:49 pm  #18

A little off track, but Kay Weber had a beautiful voice and a very long life.

She died well into her 90s...
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Weber&GSiman=1&GScid=2712&GRid=135815332&

03/5/2015 12:42 pm  #19

One more note on Kay Weber, I have made up a CD of her vocals if anyone is interested in a copy, please message me.

06/5/2015 11:57 pm  #20

This is, quite simply, an amazing CD.  It goes to show that there really are some hidden treasures out there waiting to be discovered.

I too love "You Are My Lucky Star", but that's just after today's listening!

I'm curious - it was stated in "BING" magazine that the entire first two KMH Bing "solo" shows from 1936 were found in this discovery.  Will there be any chance of hearing these two shows in their entirety in some way shape or form?

Zane Johnson

07/5/2015 7:31 pm  #21

I just wanted to say that I have added the review of the new JSP Kraft Music Hall release that I'd published in The Vintage Bandstand to my Bing Crosby on CD blog. This way you can read the Crosby review on its own, without the other two reviews about Duke Ellington and Martha Tilton. You can find it here (it's, of course, the same text as the one in The Vintage Bandstand):

http://bingcrosbyoncd.blogspot.com/2015/05/kraft-music-hall-selected-performances.html

12/5/2015 2:47 pm  #22

zanereed wrote:

I'm curious - it was stated in "BING" magazine that the entire first two KMH Bing "solo" shows from 1936 were found in this discovery.  Will there be any chance of hearing these two shows in their entirety in some way shape or form?

John Newton has confirmed that he does have the complete shows from January 2nd and January 9th 1936.
However the CD contains all of Bing's songs from the sequence of six broadcasts covered, and as we know there were two "guest" spots included..

There is obviously much non - Bing material but I am sure that there is a fine judgement between what some of us would like and what is economically feasible. At a very rough guess I suspect that the non-Bing material would expand from the one CD which we have to well over two. And it would not all necessarily have been very entertaining. Take a look at the contemporary reviews quoted on the "Bing" magazine site here. Not all Bing's guests in those days were top rankers.

And then there is the practical matter of restoration - I have had the privilege of hearing a brief snatch of part of the audio as it was before it was cleaned and I can only say that Geoff Milne (who did the editing and balancing) and Peter Rynston (who got rid of bumps, scratches, crackle and such like external noises) did a superb job. That all takes time! 

20/5/2015 5:35 pm  #23

Thank you, Richard.  Well said.

Zane Johnson

28/5/2015 7:51 pm  #24

The U.S. Amazon website is finally selling the new Crosby CD from JSP, so now that they're finally accepting reviews (apparently you can't publish them until the item is officially issued and sold by Amazon) I've adapted my Vintage Bandstand review for publication in the Amazon website. You can access it here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2CINHXU1H19SR/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00UCFI1SQ&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=5174&store=music

As you can see, Amazon is selling the CD at a fairly good price.

28/5/2015 8:34 pm  #25

Many thanks, Anton.

Board footera