14/1/2015 4:56 pm  #1

Did Wig mail new books yet?

I just wanted to know if anyone got the new book yet from Wig on Discography. Thanks!

Peace and Love! 

14/1/2015 8:53 pm  #2

Re: Did Wig mail new books yet?

I haven't received mine as of yet.

Zane Johnson

14/1/2015 11:24 pm  #3

Any day now. They have been shipped to him.

15/1/2015 12:49 pm  #4

Thanks Malcolm!

Peace and Love! 

16/1/2015 4:52 pm  #5

I'm so glad to read this!  I had been wondering if record of my ordering it had gotten misplaced, or maybe my check had been lost in the mail and never got to Wig.  It's good to know that it should be on its way to me in the not very distant future.

22/1/2015 7:00 am  #6

Has anyone in North America received their copy yet?  If so, what are your first impressions?

24/1/2015 8:11 am  #7

Not yet. I'm looking forward to it. Don't mind the delay to make it more up-to-date. As long as it isn't never ending that is...

28/1/2015 3:49 pm  #8

My copy arrived today.  I'm in the US, so most US folks should hopefully received theirs soon!

Zane Johnson

28/1/2015 9:53 pm  #9

Thanks Zane!

Peace and Love! 

29/1/2015 12:51 am  #10

I got my book and it is really out of this world. Well worth the wait!

29/1/2015 7:46 am  #11

Mine arrived today in California as well, So, looks like they are arriving all over today.
It's my birthday, so perfect timing!

29/1/2015 2:03 pm  #12

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon to northwest Tennessee! I haven't had the time to look through it carefully yet, but what little I've seen is really impressive, and definitely worth the wait! 

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (29/1/2015 7:20 pm)

29/1/2015 3:38 pm  #13

I have to run to the P.O. today, so I'm hoping to find it in my mailbox.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the degree of information about the original 78s and how it is shown.  That's where my Crosby music collection began about 45 years ago.

30/1/2015 2:10 am  #14

Okay, time for my first question about the book to anyone who can answer (after a quick run through last night):

The book says that there is a test of "My Blue Heaven" on the CCM-061 Paul Whiteman "Greatest Hits" CD from Collectors Choice.  But if this is the correct CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Whiteman-Greatest-Hits/dp/tracks/B00000I9FQ/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

...I don't see it list "My Blue Heaven" on that CD.  Is this a typo?

Last edited by zanereed (30/1/2015 2:12 am)

Zane Johnson

30/1/2015 4:34 am  #15

Steve Fay wrote:

I have to run to the P.O. today, so I'm hoping to find it in my mailbox.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the degree of information about the original 78s and how it is shown.  That's where my Crosby music collection began about 45 years ago.

It WAS there, and it looks wonderful!

30/1/2015 8:05 am  #16

zanereed wrote:

Okay, time for my first question about the book to anyone who can answer (after a quick run through last night):

The book says that there is a test of "My Blue Heaven" on the CCM-061 Paul Whiteman "Greatest Hits" CD from Collectors Choice.  But if this is the correct CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Whiteman-Greatest-Hits/dp/tracks/B00000I9FQ/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

...I don't see it list "My Blue Heaven" on that CD.  Is this a typo?

Zane. the listing on Amazon seems to be incorrect. There is a comprehensive review on the Amazon site from Lee Watkins drawing attention to the errors. He shows My Blue Heaven as track 15. However there are perils in using what I can only call a generic title to identify CDs. I much prefer to see issuers and catalogue numbers identified as well. I wish Amazon and other suppliers would be more specific. Titles such as "Best of - - -" "Greatest Hits of  - -" proliforate and can be very confusing. 

30/1/2015 8:19 am  #17

The AllMusic site has comprehensive details

http://www.allmusic.com/album/greatest-hits-mw0000049023

30/1/2015 8:40 am  #18

Richard, the version on the Jonzo CD runs 2:51 whilst the test is said to be 2:57. There are several versions on Spotify which vary from 2:58 to 2:59. Which versions are these? How can one detect the differences?

30/1/2015 10:16 am  #19

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Richard, the version on the Jonzo CD runs 2:51 whilst the test is said to be 2:57. There are several versions on Spotify which vary from 2:58 to 2:59. Which versions are these? How can one detect the differences?

Malcolm, you are obviously adding something to my task list!  I'll investigate. Some transfers are just made at varying sppeds or include more or less silence at ends so timing is an unreliable indication.. 

30/1/2015 12:22 pm  #20

I cannot find any substantive difference between any of the versions on Spotify and the Jonzo. There are differences in transfer - the Jonzo has a slightly more gradual build into the sound - you hear more "atmosphere" for the merest fraction of a second at the beginning. The Spotify versions vary by up to an additional 4 seconds. The remainder of the difference in the "readout" timing is of silence.

One of the Spotify versions has been transferred at a slightly erratic speed compared to the others (only evident when all are played in unison or viewed on the visual trace) and a couple have a wider dynamic compared to Jonzo, probably produced artificially. However after retiming all of them to run in unison they sound identical,  so none are from the "Test" take 4 version. It would be useful if Wig or Jim could identify where the differences lie on the Collector's Choice CD which so far as I can see is not on Spotify.  I personally will not run out to get the Collector's Choice CD - it's really the Whiteman band with a Jack Fulton vocal and if you can hear Bing in there, sorting him out from Charles Gaylord, Al Rinker, and Austin Young,  you have extremely good hearing. 

30/1/2015 1:09 pm  #21

Many thanks Richard for investigating so thoroughly.

30/1/2015 2:49 pm  #22

I think it is time to remind ourselves that Richard Baker is worthy of "international treasure" status among we Crosby fans for his ability to ferret out information like that...as is Wig Wiggins, too, for his work on this amazing discography book.  Has everyone noticed, additionally, the care taken in making sure it has a binding that will stand up to years of frequent use as a reference.  I was very happy to see that.

30/1/2015 3:13 pm  #23

Steve Fay wrote:

I think it is time to remind ourselves that Richard Baker is worthy of "international treasure" status among we Crosby fans for his ability to ferret out information like that...as is Wig Wiggins, too, for his work on this amazing discography book.  Has everyone noticed, additionally, the care taken in making sure it has a binding that will stand up to years of frequent use as a reference.  I was very happy to see that.

Well, thank you Steve but I believe that many have played a part over a long period of time. I'm just one of the present crew (and a relatively late comer at that).  Wig has been immersed for more years that I suspect he would care to remember, as have many others, all of whom have made significant contributions to make up the whole, both to attempt to expand our knowledge and to keep the flag flying. But "International Treasure", Me? The higher the pedestal  - - -

30/1/2015 7:15 pm  #24

Thank you, Richard, for your clarification and your research regarding "My Blue Heaven" and the Whiteman "Greatest Hits" CD!  I must also echo Steve's sentiments, as well 

As for the book itself, it's very, very good.  I intend to use it as my handy reference guide that will be close to all of my Bing CDs. From what I read there, a companion volume for the released radio shows will hopefully be forthcoming soon...?

However, I still intend to also use Richard's very valuable online discography as well.  I cannot stress enough how helpful that was when I was looking for Bing CDs in the post-Decca years! My collection is by no means complete, but certain CDs were much quicker to track down once I knew what took look for. Thank you again, Richard!

Zane Johnson

31/1/2015 3:20 pm  #25

Richard Baker wrote:

Well, thank you Steve but I believe that many have played a part over a long period of time. I'm just one of the present crew (and a relatively late comer at that).  . . . But "International Treasure", Me? The higher the pedestal  - - -

I certainly don't mind your reminding that you stand on the shoulders of earlier and other dedicated Crosby fan giants, but I don't think that diminishes that in recent years your expertise and diligence have been regularly depended on by many of us.  It would be easy to cite numerous examples from discussion threads on this forum, not to mention, I have no doubt, the many more examples that must occur in your email exchanges with many fellow fans.  I just think that it is high time, Richard, that you get a public thank you for what you are doing.  As for "international treasure," we're an international group, so you can't be a mere "national" treasure. If you are one of our treasures, you're international.

Last edited by Steve Fay (31/1/2015 3:22 pm)

Board footera