04/3/2014 6:37 am  #1

Bing Crosby Radio Show from 60, 65, or 70 years ago this week!

Bing was having a ball on the Kraft Music Hall this week 70 years ago with guest Lucille Ball, in the below great sounding episode!  Why don't you take a little jump back in time with us? What do you think? Bing Crosby 1944-03-02 Kraft Music Hall - Guest Lucille Ball 

04/3/2014 6:38 am  #2

Re: Bing Crosby Radio Show from 60, 65, or 70 years ago this week!

65 years ago with Dinah Shore and folk legend Burl Ives, in the below great sounding episode!  Why don't you take a little jump back in time with us? What do you think?
 Bing Crosby Show 1949-03-02 Guests Burl Ives and Dinah Shore 

Last edited by Buck Benny (04/3/2014 6:39 am)

29/3/2014 3:55 am  #3

Now for something amazing and historic!

From 60 years ago today!

Bing Crosby Podcast 1954-03-28 (66) Guest Frank Sinatra

[img]www.sinatra.com/sites/default/files/inthemovies_03.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Buck Benny (06/12/2015 11:51 pm)

28/7/2014 6:29 pm  #4

Great stuff Buck!
I just listened to the KMH Lucille Ball episode a couple of nights ago by coincidence--hadn't yet discovered your posts. Every one is a "keeper". Thanks again.
DENNIS

06/12/2015 11:49 pm  #5

Would anyone like me to post more?

07/12/2015 12:03 am  #6

Buck Benny wrote:

Yes, Please, Buck, particularly if they are of the same quality and interest as the items you have previously added.

07/12/2015 4:44 am  #7

Richard Baker wrote:

Buck Benny wrote:

Yes, Please, Buck, particularly if they are of the same quality and interest as the items you have previously added.

To me the 1950-1951 season is the best Bing ever did!  With 8 appearances by Judy Garland and his best ever Christmas episode featuring his whole family!

It starts of with a bang with two weeks of Judy and Bob Hope as guests!

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-10-11 (037) Guests Judy Garland and Bob Hope (Stacey & Mindi)

No. 37  11th October 1950  (a)                                             

Transcribed in Hollywood (20th September 1950).  Announced by Ken Carpenter.  With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Judy Garland and Bob Hope.

*Where The Blue Of The Night                      (b)         Opening Theme
*Sam’s Song (The Happy Tune)                     (c)         with Judy Garland
  Get Happy                                                                 Judy Garland
  Comedy Dialogue                                                       Bing Crosby, Bob Hope & Judy Garland
  ‘Chesterfield’s New Boy’ Sketch                 (d)          Bing Crosby, Bob Hope & Hal Kanter
*I Cross My Fingers                                      (e)          with Rhythmaires
*Mona Lisa                                                    (f)       
  Comedy Dialogue                                                     Bing Crosby, Bob Hope & Judy Garland
*Goodnight, Irene                                           (g)        with Bob Hope, Judy Garland & Rhythmaires
  Where The Blue Of The Night                                   Closing Theme

Apart from the records they had cut together, she [Judy Garland] had been a guest on his show from time to time. To demonstrate his faith in her, he not only invited her to be on the first show of the season, but in the second too, and another later in the season:
“He called me up one morning. Bless him–he was cute. ‘Judy,’ he said, ‘I know how busy you are’ (busy ME! That was a laugh!) ‘and I was wondering if I could get you for three shows’. . . . He could get me for thirty shows, or three hundred. That moment I felt the whole world change. It was real friendship. I needed that job more than I needed money. I could always borrow money: you can’t borrow a job, you can’t borrow the chance to put faith back in yourself. Somebody else has to have faith in you first. Well, Bing had faith in me—and thank God, I didn’t let him down.”
(Judy Garland, page 261)

Some performers knew how to make the people in the radio studio their partners. Hal Kanter will never forget one night on the Bing Crosby show when Judy Garland was the guest star. “Judy had had a lot of bad publicity and had gone through a rough time. When she finally came out of the hospital and was going to make her first public appearance on the show, at the last minute she got stage fright and got scared to death. She said, ‘They’re going to hate me; they won’t be listening to me, they’re going to look for scars on my wrists. . . .’ She was an emotional mess, and Bing went in to reassure her. Then when he walked out on stage as usual, he said, ‘We have an old friend here tonight. She’s been away for a while, but she’s come back, and I know that you missed her because we sure did. Give her a nice welcome; make her feel—make her feel loved.’Something like that, then ‘Ladies and gentlemen, Judy Garland.’ She walked out on the stage and that audience just put their arms around her and hugged her and kissed her . . . relaxed her. And she did a show that was wonderful. But it was Bing’s sensitivity that dictated that. I don’t know too many people who would have done that.”
(The Great American Broadcast, page 199)

“Those two boys - Bing Crosby and Bob Hope - with a big, rollicking assist from Judy Garland must have made this parlay pay off big on the Nielsen meters.  For a getaway with Hope now picking up a little cigarette money with the Groaner, Arthur Godfrey and Perry Como, it didn’t miss far being a dream show.  Every line served up by Bill Morrow, Hal Kanter and assorted aides was one long howl and the music was on the same delectable level.  From the tradey prologue down to the rousing finale of the trio taking turns at parodying ‘Goodnight, Irene’ it was sock and go all the way.  Even a harmless little throwaway line like, ‘Me too’ was built into high voltage humour and the usual insults generated their own yocks.  As for instance, when Hope said to Crosby, ‘Men have gotten Oscars for less - didn’t you?’
Young Gary Crosby came in for his share of the exchange, now that he is following in his father’s footsteps.  Out in the provinces they must have taken the opening spot with bewildered amusement - Kanter as CBS veep, Hubbell Ackerman Jr. gave Crosby a dressing down for appearing on another network.  ‘We want you to be more of a company man’, he was told, ‘Hope had his chance to come over to our network’.  That nonsense out of the way, Crosby and Miss Garland dueted ‘Sam’s Song’, each took a couple of turns solo and Hope came on to kick the script around, though not as much as in the past.  The only break-up was by Miss Garland who can do it better than most singers.  The cigarette girl ‘bit’ was one solid round of laughs that never let up until Crosby broke into song.  The ‘Irene’ parody at the close gave the show a walloping finish and sent the series away on a high note of promise.  If radio is to be saved such shows as this will turn the trick.  Ken Carpenter was on hand to pound the ‘smell milder, smoke milder’ slogan but he had plenty of help from the main men.  If Crosby can keep banging it in, in the weeks to come as he did on the tee-off, it’s going to take some doing by the others to keep him out of the first ten.”
 (“Variety” 18th October 1950)

“They must be psychic at the Ward Wheelock Agency.  A short time ago when father of Bing and Bob Crosby was stricken, Art Bailey of the commission house ordered a couple of extra ‘Club 15’s’ (The Bob Crosby Show) taped in advance, just in case.  Both were used after the old gent passed on.  Bing Crosby’s take off for Chesterfield was cancelled at his request although taped the week before.”
(“Variety” 18th October 1950)

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-10-18 (038) Guests Judy Garland and Bob Hope (Stacey & Mindi)

No. 38  18th October 1950  (a)                                             

Transcribed in San Francisco (25th September 1950).  Announced by Ken Carpenter.  With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Judy Garland and Bob Hope.

*Where The Blue Of The Night                                 Opening Theme
*Tzena, Tzena, Tzena                                      (b)      with Judy Garland
*All My Love                                                 (c)        with Rhythmaires
  Comedy Dialogue                                                     Bing Crosby, Bob Hope & Judy Garland
  Friendly Star                                                             Judy Garland
  Comedy Dialogue                                         (d)       Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Judy Garland & Hal Kanter
*The Third Man Theme                                  (e)        with Bob Hope & Judy Garland
*High On The List                                          (f)         with Rhythmaires
  Where The Blue Of The Night                                  Closing Theme

Last edited by Buck Benny (07/12/2015 4:51 am)

07/12/2015 4:48 am  #8

Bing Crosby Podcast 1946-11-27 Guest Judy Garland - Thanksgiving Show (Stacey & Mindi)

No.  7  27th November 1946   (a)      

Transcribed in Hollywood (11th & 13th November 1946).  Announced by Ken Carpenter.  With Chorus, The Charioteers,  Skitch Henderson, The Les Paul Trio and Judy Garland.

*Where The Blue Of The Night                                  Opening Theme
*Ol’ Buttermilk Sky                                       (b)        with Chorus
*Gotta Get Me Somebody To Love               (c)        with The Les Paul Trio
  I’ve Got You Under My Skin                                   Skitch Henderson (Piano)
  Comedy Dialogue                                                     Bing Crosby & Judy Garland
  Liza                                                                          Judy Garland
  ‘Wild Turkey Hunt’ Sketch                          (d)        Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Ken Carpenter & Skitch Henderson
*Wait Till The Sun Shines, Nellie                   (e)         with Judy Garland
*All By Myself                                              (f)          with Skitch Henderson (Piano)
*You Keep Coming Back Like A Song         (g)         with Chorus
*Where The Blue Of The Night                     (h)         Closing Theme

Last edited by Buck Benny (07/12/2015 4:53 am)

07/12/2015 4:57 am  #9

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-11-29 (044) Guest Ella Fitzgerald and The Firehouse Five Plus Two  

No. 44  29th November 1950   
Transcribed in San Francisco.  Announced by Ken Carpenter.  With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, The Firehouse Five Plus Two and Ella Fitzgerald.

*Where The Blue Of The Night                     Opening Theme
*A Marshmallow World                     (a)        with Ella Fitzgerald and the Rhythmaires
  Can Anyone Explain?                                    Ella Fitzgerald with Rhythmaires
  Tiger Rag                                                      The Firehouse Five Plus Two
  Comedy Dialogue                                         Bing Crosby & Ward Kimball
*Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue           (b)        with The Firehouse Five Plus Two
*Silver Bells                                        (c)        with Ella Fitzgerald & Rhythmaires
*Memphis Blues                                 (d)        with Ella Fitzgerald & The Firehouse Five Plus Two
*Autumn Leaves                                 (e)       
  Where The Blue Of The Night                     Closing Theme

Some of the brightest portions of Bing’s current season’s schedule have been the appearances of the Firehouse Five Plus Two, a highly individual jazz band made up of Walt Disney artists and writers who began playing jazz music as a hobby. Bing discovered this group last year, when the boys were invited by brother Larry to play for the Victory dinner at Bing’s Pebble Beach Golf Tournament. The Firehouse Five have since appeared on the radio show five times.
Bing’s singing with the group has drawn a tremendous flood of fan mail, most of which makes the point that he sounds more youthful with them. According to Ward Kimball, Firechief and trombone player, this is actually the case.
“We play in a higher key than most of Bing’s current arrangements,” he explains, “so he sings like he used to long ago.”
(from an article in Modern Screen magazine, April, 1951)

Last edited by Buck Benny (07/12/2015 4:59 am)

07/12/2015 9:13 am  #10

Great stuff!  Keep 'em coming please.

07/12/2015 5:58 pm  #11

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Great stuff!  Keep 'em coming please.

You bet, here is an absolute classic from 65 years ago this week!  If you haven't heard Bing and Judy Garland's duet on Rudolph, then you are in for quite a treat!

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-12-06 (045) Guest Judy Garland - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Duet (Stacey & Mindi)

No. 45  6th December 1950  (a)                                           

Transcribed in Hollywood (2nd December 1950).  Announced by Ken Carpenter.  With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Judy Garland.

*Chesterfield Jingle                                        (b)        with Rhythmaires
*Where The Blue Of The Night                                 Opening Theme
  Comedy Dialogue                                                     Bing Crosby & Judy Garland
*Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer              (c)        with Judy Garland & Rhythmaires
  Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody        Judy Garland
  ‘The Story Of Judith &
Yammy Yogurt’ Sketch                      (d)       Bing Crosby, Judy Garland & Ken Carpenter
*Tortured                                                        (e)       
*Boise, Idaho                                                  (f)        with Judy Garland
*My Blue Heaven                                           (g)        with Judy Garland
*These Lush Moments                                    (h)        with Judy Garland

*(The Toys Gave A Party For) Poppa
Santa Claus                                         (i)         with Rhythmaires
*Chesterfield Jingle                                                     with Rhythmaires
*Harbour Lights                                              (j)         with Rhythmaires
  Where The Blue Of The Night                                  Closing Theme

Last edited by Buck Benny (07/12/2015 6:00 pm)

01/12/2018 7:11 am  #12

03/12/2018 1:42 pm  #13

Wonderful! It's great to see these shows posted here!

04/12/2018 7:46 am  #14

Thank you Buck.

04/12/2018 2:00 pm  #15

Another great share by Buck! Many thanks.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera