02/8/2013 10:45 pm  #1

Death of quality radio in Britain.

Two of the giants of British national broadcasting are bowing out. 

It was announced some weeks ago that David Jacobs would present his last show this month. He must be one of the oldest active presenters on the globe, so his retirement was likely and some would say well deserved and overdue, but he will be a loss to quality broadcasting. He frequently included items of Bing's, presented in a knowlegeable way, with a light touch.

Russell Davies has presented an excellent show every Sunday covering a wide range built around the work of songwriters, frequently including several tracks from Bing. His depth of knowledge is immense and he manages to present in ways that bring out the interesting byways. It has been announced that he will present his last show in October. No reason has been given for his departure from the BBC, but this does appear to be part of a process that has been in train for several years of removing much of "our" kind of music and attempting to appeal to a younger demographic. 

There has been much adverse comment on other boards oriented towards dance bands and swing bands, and many commentators have responded critically. 

The loss of these two gentlemen is a major blow to those in Britain who look to such shows to provide a modicum of "serious light" music. 

Gillian Reynolds, writing in the "Telegraph" has bemoaned the news here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10212301/All-change-at-Radio-2...but-not-for-the-better-radio-review.html#disqus_thread

I aplogise to our friends elsewhere for an item in which they are unlikely to have any interest. 

03/8/2013 1:54 am  #2

Re: Death of quality radio in Britain.

We haven't had quality radio in the States for 10 years now. It's a shame it is happening to the BBC now.

03/8/2013 9:53 am  #3

Horrified to read that Russell Davies' show is being dropped by Radio2. This was a very good show indeed and I shall miss it. Looks like we shall have to listen to some of the excellent local radio shows to hear Bing and our kind of music.

03/8/2013 11:05 am  #4

A real anti BBC hate campaign is building up about this on the Yahoo British Dance Band forum, here
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/british-dance-bands/ under the thread "Radio 2 - Sunday Nights", but you have to sign into Yahoo Groups and seek consent of the moderator before accessing messages (a result of the same problems that beset this board, I'm afraid, of attempts at access for malicious purposes).

04/8/2013 11:40 am  #5

A long item in today's Sunday Telegraph headed "Another Golden Oldie Killed off by the BBC" with a subhead suggesting that they are not interested in anything prior to the Beatles and content implying that none of the decision makers know anything of Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, et al.

Probably true - most of them are probably young enough for their parents to be similarly innocent.

There is a longish list of presenters who were pushed out to make room for a younger, brasher, listening public. 

04/8/2013 12:47 pm  #6

It's a different world we live in. I am only 49 but the past 15 years I feel like I'm living in another world. We just lost channel 2 and Showtime on the cable because the companies can't come to an agreement[ Staten Island,New York]. I miss when TV and water were for nothing. And the shows were better, so was the water. Sorry to hear what is happening with radio in Britian.

Peace and Love! 

05/8/2013 6:20 am  #7

David Jacobs' last show was broadcast last night and he featured Bing singing “Incurably Romantic” as his final song. He introduced this by saying that we might have noticed that he had not played a solo by Frank Sinatra and that there was a reason for this. There were, he said, two camps, one favours Frank Sinatra, the other Bing Crosby. He went on to say that he would end by playing his favourite – Bing Crosby. I have emailed him thanking him for playing Bing’s records so frequently over the years and wishing him a long and happy retirement.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (05/8/2013 6:22 am)

06/8/2013 6:29 am  #8

Some informed comment on this - both within the report itself but also amongst the comments to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/10223409/Russell-Davies-on-Radio-2-Who-will-remember-Toots-Mondello-now.html

06/8/2013 8:35 am  #9

Very good article.

04/9/2013 3:48 pm  #10

Here in the US, commercial radio stations that play "golden oldies" going back even to the 1980s (incidentally about the decade when I stopped listening to pop music) are becoming hard to find on the dial.  What disturbs me more is that in my region, our Public Radio stations are abandoning music programming in favor of the very informative news-talk programming also available to those stations.  I like the news programs and sometimes listen to them religiously, but I find losing the music programming option intolerable.  One of my nearest Public Radio stations has at least kept classical music in the morning on weekdays, but the next nearest cut all their classical music, and another station I could pull in on my vehicle's radio a bit east of where I live, just dropped its daytime jazz format in favor of an all news/talk, a format I have heard its staff disdain in the past, but apparently committees and focus groups have overpowered the arts in their case.  The nearest station, that still has classical mornings, does have a weekly jazz-swing show on which one can at least hear music of Bing's era, if not a lot of Bing, so that's something at least.  I have become more and more grateful that local public television airs old Lawrence Welk shows weekly. I became rather tired of Welk in my early years, but I have to admit that some of the shows offer very good renditions of older songs, especially when they let the musicians really swing.  Since I don't have access to satellite radio or cable or satellite TV and can't stream any media over my internet, I may not be aware of some offerings of Bing's or Bing's era music, and only can speak of the meager offerings broadcast over the air in my area.  I certainly mourn the music programming option reductions for my UK friends.

04/9/2013 6:26 pm  #11

Just read of David Jacobs passing. Also of Welsh rugby great Cliff Morgan (he probably liked Bing as he loved singing in the Welsh Men Choirs)

04/9/2013 10:29 pm  #12

I agree with the general tone of what all forum members are saying about the state of current radio regarding classic jazz, pop, and the crooners. This kind of music, which once was the pop music of the day and relied heavily on radio for its exposure, is disappearing from radio programming nowadays, and of course, this is really a pity, not only because there are a lot of people who appreciate it and would love to hear it on the radio, but also because many people who have never heard this kind of music perhaps will never be exposed to it because it is hardly played anymore over the airwaves. If younger listeners only hear Bing on the radio at Christmas (and then there's mainly one song, "White Christmas," that gets played) there is no way that they can appreciate his artistry because it is mostly unknown to them. What I mean is that one can't appreciate what one doesn't know, and unfortunately, radio exposure of jazz and classic pop has gone down steadily in recent years. The same can be said of classic country music: there are hundreds of country stations all over the country, but they play mostly new country, and the phrase "classic country" mostly designates now the country music produced in the 1980s and '70s.

And then, there's of course satellite radio, which I have in my car and really enjoy listening to every day on my way to and from work. However, satellite radio is sort of like a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it is thematic, and that is good because if I feel like listening to standards, swing, or classic jazz, I can always find a good station that plays those genres 24/7. Yet at the same time, something is missing because of that thematic format, something which was not missing on old-time radio: that is, the fact that if you always choose the same thematic stations, there are a lot of styles to which you are not exposed. And that was not the case in the days of old-time radio, when one could listen to classical music, swing, vocalists, country music, news, drama, &c. all on the same radio station. I guess all of this is just another sign of how new technologies affect the way we experience music and the world around us in general.

18/9/2013 1:29 pm  #13

Very well said, Anton.

Board footera