15/2/2012 4:27 pm  #1

THE CHRONOLOGICAL CROSBY SERIES FROM JONZO

During discussions on another thread on this forum I expressed reservations about the continuing availability of the Chronological series from JONZO records themselves. I was under the mistaken impression, from John McNicholas' farewell letter to me on my last purchase, that he had ceased his business. Malcolm MacFarlane put me to rights.

In order to clear up any misunderstandings I have been in touch with John McNicholas who confirms that he retains a stock of all 51 CDs in the series.

All are for sale at 8 pounds (GBP) each, plus postage and packing.

Prices inclusive of P&P within the UK are as follows - all in pounds (GBP) -

- 1 disc 9:10
- 2 discs 17:10
- 3 discs 26:50
- 4 discs 34:50
- 5 discs 40:00
- 6 discs 51:10

The address is
JONZO RECORDS
PO BOX 212
Harrow
Middlesex
HA3 7LD
United Kingdom

BUT SEE BELOW
I am sure that John would quote for postage on larger quantities or for carriage outside the UK but potential purchasers in the US and Canada should, at least initially, contact 'Wig' Wiggins in the usual way.

His address is

5608 North 34th Street
Arlington
Virginia
USA

BUT SEE BELOW
I add that this series was superbly produced, and although it represents a significant investment I can conceive of no other way in which such a long unbroken sequence of Bing's recordings can be acquired so efficiently.
- Some tracks are unique in CD format
- Many others have been unobtainable for many years
- The sound engineering was very effective with very little background noise
- Despite that there is no overt sign of interference with the signal
- The notes were well prepared and informative
- There are complete track details.
- And it is a very nearly complete sequence of the studio recordings from 1926 to 6th September 1950 (at which point the 'Through The Years' series took over and which of course follows the same format). The only items missing are some recently discovered alternate takes (which are to be covered in the final volume of 'Through The Years' due shortly.

There is a complete listing on the 'Bing' magazine site http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/ under 'Chronological Crosby'

I do not believe that any true fan can be without them.

PLEASE NOTE -
AS OF AUGUST 2016 THE CDs ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE FROM THE NAMED SOURCES

Last edited by Richard Baker (03/8/2016 9:13 am)

15/2/2012 5:31 pm  #2

Re: THE CHRONOLOGICAL CROSBY SERIES FROM JONZO

Great news! Thanks for this information, everyone.

17/2/2012 11:42 pm  #3

I will echo Richard's comments - I can't recommend this series highly enough.  I believe the mastering of the tracks on the "Chronological"/"Through The Years" series is better than what was on the "Legendary" box set.  Yes, it is a significant investment, but each CD is worth the price.  Rare tracks, a top quality CD booklet with extensive liner notes on each track and pictures from the time period, and superb transfer and mastering work from John R.T. Davies, Ted Kendall and Robin Cherry (I might have missed someone?).  This is (now "was" I suppose, as we are at the end) a monumental effort, in my opinion.

For those in the USA and Canada - as far as ordering via "Wig" Wiggins, you won't be disappointed.  You usually have your CDs within a week of sending payment (if not sooner!).  All CDs are packaged carefully.  If you have any issues, you can contact Wig and he will reply promptly.  All the CDs should still be available from Wig.

Zane Johnson

19/2/2012 1:17 pm  #4

I still admire the original LPs. Those gatefold sleeves, the wonderful pictures and the imaginative designs. And then of course the notes and pictures for which the designer had the room to spread out.

Even leaving aside the photo on the front of the sleeve, some of the photos inside and on the rear managed to  eight inches or more by six or so. And then there was also room for illustrations of such things as the studio file cards - for example on JZ-11 we have details of the September 2nd session of 1931 in a nice large easy to read reproduction. The CD notes could not attempt to match this format, for all their technical advancement and the continuation of the detailed and informative notes. Luxury!  I see that they are still offered on the internet sometimes with the allegation that they are 'mint' or 'unused'.  Who hoards such records without playing them? I cannot claim that of mine, which are best described as 'played but well cared for'. 

19/2/2012 8:11 pm  #5

I agree. Jarbie. Records are meant to be played! I like the small storage space needed for CDs, but I miss the style of the LPs...

23/7/2013 12:37 pm  #6

A couple of years back someone made me copies of  about  40 Jonzo's since then I wanted to buy the rest of them. I have all the THROUGH THE YEARS series too. Now am I to understand that these are all of Bing's recordings in order? Every song he ever recorded? Also, I must contact Wig again. Does Wig have an email or do I have to write again?

Peace and Love! 

23/7/2013 1:12 pm  #7

48blonde wrote:

Now am I to understand that these are all of Bing's recordings in order? Every song he ever recorded? Also, I must contact Wig again. Does Wig have an email or do I have to write again?

Carmela, not all Bing's records. The Jonzo series plus the "Through The Years" sequence include everything commercially recorded up to the end of the contract with Decca in the mid 1950s. 

If you want to send an email to Wig, click on the appropriate link at this page. 

http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/ICC/contacts.html

23/7/2013 6:37 pm  #8

AAHH! Thanks for clearing that up for me Richard! All the Decca. OK I didn't know that. I am mostly a collector of Bing's films. I have many of his CD's , some records, cassettes, many radio shows as well as memorabilia. It's too big of a task to get every single thing musically released on Bing but I get all the impotant ones! I collect on James Cagney Steve Mcqueen and Ringo Starr so it's hard. But even with them I look for certain items.

Peace and Love! 

29/7/2013 12:10 pm  #9

I need the last 8 Jonzo's 44-51. How much are they now off of Wig? and postage? Carmela

Peace and Love! 

29/7/2013 12:15 pm  #10

I came across a letter I got from Wig back in October stating they are $15.00  each. I'll have to get intouch with Wig. Carmela

Peace and Love! 

03/9/2013 11:37 am  #11

I finally emailed Wig. I hope he responds otherwise I will have to call him or write to him. Thanks!

Peace and Love! 

03/9/2013 12:23 pm  #12

Carmela,

I have absolutely no doubt that Wig will reply to your e-mail. However, as I understand it, he only checks his e-mail at the public library once a week, and so I have always found that it is faster and more convenient to actually write him a letter. That's something I really like, since I enjoy writing and receiving letters. Over the years, I have ordered several CDs from Wig, and it has always been through letters. You will see, as well, that Wig is extremely nice and dilligent when it comes to sending the CDs, and once he receives the order, he usually mails the CDs within a couple of days. So, by all means, send him a letter! 

03/9/2013 8:22 pm  #13

Thanks Anton! In the past I wrote to Wig but I thought emailing him  would be faster. I emailed him and wrote to him. 

Peace and Love! 

10/10/2023 7:06 am  #14

Are the Jonzo CDs still available to purchase anywhere? I was reminded recently that I never completed my collection. I think I only have Vols. 1 thru 41. 

11/10/2023 6:47 pm  #15

Not through the ICC, you kind of have to search online until you find a copy sadly.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera