27/4/2013 8:43 pm  #1

"Six new Crosby Collections and a DVD Every Year"

Found this article which follows to the recent Universal/Crosby Enterprise hook up

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130318005054/en/UMe-Inks-Deal-Unify-Bing-Crosby-Catalog

The most exciting news has to be the following comment:-

"Universal Music Enterprises and HLC Properties, LTD plan to release up to six new Crosby collections and a DVD every year."

Hopefuly they are starting these releases this year!!!. Better start saving again!!!

Last edited by Kevin (27/4/2013 8:46 pm)

27/4/2013 11:14 pm  #2

Re: "Six new Crosby Collections and a DVD Every Year"

Kevin wrote:

The most exciting news has to be the following comment:-

"Universal Music Enterprises and HLC Properties, LTD plan to release up to six new Crosby collections and a DVD every year."

Hopefuly they are starting these releases this year!!!. Better start saving again!!!

Kevin, interesting news indeed. This seems to be an update or amplification of a topic which has already attracted some discussion on this board in this thread - http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=489

So far what we have is the reissue, under the new distribution arrangements with Universal, of all but one of the CDs issued jointly by the Bing Crosby organisation with Collector's Choice three years back. 

I'm sure that all eagerly await announcements of new material and hope that all six CDs and one DVD per year are indeed new (or at least previously unissued or scarce) items.  

14/5/2013 6:11 pm  #3

Fresh Air on NPR had a segment reviewing the relaunch of the Bing Crosby reissue series. Below is a link to the article and audio segment. Nice to hear Bing getting a plug on NPR.

Bing Crosby: From The Vaults, Surprising Breadth:
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/13/176954778/bing-crosby-from-the-vaults-surprising-breadth

28/6/2013 6:25 am  #4

29/6/2013 1:27 am  #5

29/6/2013 8:16 am  #6

- And the first two are on the way -
This information released by "The Bing Crosby Archive"

"This fall The Bing Crosby Archive will release two new CDs through Universal Music Enterprises. Bing Sings the Johnny Mercer Songbook is a new CD compilation celebrating Bing Crosby’s recordings of songs composed by his friend and frequent collaborator, Johnny Mercer. The recordings span more than two decades – starting with a rare 1934 radio performance of “P.S. I Love You.” Other highlights include “Lazy Bones,” a duet with Louis Armstrong, and several of Bing’s Decca hits like “Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive,” which features the Andrews Sisters, and “Mr. Meadowlark,” a duet with Mercer. Also included among the 22 selections are 10 previously unissued recordings, including “That Old Black Magic,” “Jeepers Creepers,” “Glow Worm,” and “Autumn Leaves.”

The CD release of Le Bing: Song Hits of Paris – 60th Anniversary Deluxe Edition will be the first-ever reissue of Bing Crosby’s first LP. The original 1953 release, recorded in Paris with Bing singing in French, was an eight song, 10″ album and one of the first concept albums ever made. Bing’s French language recordings include “La Vie En Rose” and “Madamoiselle de Paris.” The anniversary edition expands Le Bing to 24 tracks – 15 never before released ­– including rare studio outtakes, and several English language bonus tracks including a pair of Cole Porter favorites, “I Love Paris” and “Allez Vous En (Go Away.)”"

Love the idea of "Song Hits of Paris" augmented by what I assume are some of those wonderful radio performances - and some out takes

30/6/2013 1:02 am  #7

Oh, dear, why am I so old (79) with all this good Bing stuff coming out?

30/6/2013 5:57 pm  #8

Hello Ron...

Sincere apologies to all - I've been under the radar for a while - but now trying to catch up on everything...(personal apologies to "Jarbie" will follow asap).

Great news from BCE - I'll do battle with the technology to see if I can listen to the Sirius broadcasts as they occur will and look forward to the CD releases in the autumn.

In the meantime, Ron, very much hope I can look forward to seeing you and Anita at Leeds in October - 79 years young notwithstanding..!

Jeremy

05/7/2013 2:33 pm  #9

I'm excited about the re-issue of Le Bing!  The original is a 10-inch gem, but not quite as good sound as later LPs -- I think because of the material it's pressed on.

I have probably heard most of the Bing does Mercer stuff in pretty good versions, yet cds with great liner notes are very welcome.

08/7/2013 4:06 pm  #10

I am very excited by this opportunity, especially knowing that this is a joint venture between BCE and Universal.  This means we should be getting some great (and unreleased!) stuff from the Decca years, plus albums that have yet to see the light of day on CD ("Holiday In Europe", etc.)

Zane Johnson

09/7/2013 6:06 pm  #11

Like everyone else, I am very excited to hear that BCE are going to release some new Crosby material, especially since some of it has never before seen the light of day. I really look forward to those new releases and will certainly purchase them as soon as they come out. However, I must admit that I was a little disappointed in some of it. Let me explain why.

First of all, aren't all the French-language songs that will appear in the reissue of Le Bing already available in one of Sepia's Through the Years volumes? It's nice to know that they are going to augment the original LP with fifteen previously unissued tracks, though!

Also, many of the songs on the Johnny Mercer collection are already available elsewhere, though it's also good to know that some of them are rare and previously unreleased, which will be the real reason to purchase the CD, other than the fact that Mercer never wrote a bad song and Crosby was a great interpreter of Mercer's songbook.

My question is: Why do BCE feel that they should release stuff that is already (partly) in print? Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on those parts of the Crosby discography that are unissued on CD or hard to find? When are they going to make available titles such as Holiday in Europe and Bingo Viejo? It's not my intention to criticize their choice of material, and I repeat that I will definitely buy and enjoy these two CDs, but I was hoping to fill some of the void in my Crosby collection, and I guess that will have to wait...

10/7/2013 6:29 am  #12

Anton

I thimk your post raises some interesting questions. I wonder whether there is a problem as to precisely what target market they might be aiming for?

In asking (as you do) for the new,unissued or rarely issued, the potential market might be the enthusiasts - like us - who have much (or even, dare I say, all) that has already been issued. I wonder whether there could be a fear that this is too limiting?

By leavening the rarities with some well established favourites there might be a chance that they will pick up a wider audience with some sort of memory of the titles comcerned. Just a thought, and wholly speculation on my part. 

10/7/2013 2:31 pm  #13

I was very interested to read Anton's post and Richard's subsequent response.

I think part of the problem for what Richard correctly terms "the enthusiasts" lies in what BCE - for reasons which appear to be completely valid in terms of strictly-applied copyright law - consider to be legitimate sources for re-release of Bing's recorded legacy.

As I understand it, as far as BCE are concerned, the "Chronological" and subsequent Sepia continuation - for instance - are not legitimate sources, so their existence will not figure in their marketing strategy.

I have to say I don't have a problem with that, although I say that as someone who has all the "Chronological" and Sepia releases sitting safely on the shelf...

What is important to me is that over the past few years BCE certainly seem to have realised what a wealth of material they are sitting on and are setting about making it available to a wider audience.

I for one never thought that in my life-time I would see a de-luxe, re-mastered edition of "A Southern Memoir" sitting on my shelves. I am quietly confident that in the fullness of time it will be joined by "Holiday in Europe", "Bingo Viejo" and - dare I say it - "Hey Jude, Hey Bing".

Last edited by jeremyrose (10/7/2013 2:32 pm)

Board footera