31/10/2012 10:21 am  #1

Hurricane Sandy

I am sure that all users and visitors to this site will wish to extend sympathy and thoughts to those who are in any way affected by hurricane Sandy. We do hope that their lives will return to normal as rapidly as possible.

Those of us remote from it have watched the news in horrified fascination. I know that several visitors here are in the region. I hope they may be unscathed.

01/11/2012 7:17 am  #2

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Having rushed to submit a thread elsewhere about Bing featured on the BBC home-page, I have only just seen Richard's message, and can only echo the sentiments expressed by him.

21/11/2012 5:39 am  #3

Im here in new Jersey. Thankfully my home was spared much damage. Thoughts go out to those at our shore who lost lives or their homes.

03/12/2012 2:15 pm  #4

As with areas ravaged by hurricane Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico, it looks like it will take several months to at a few years for the areas most damaged by Sandy to recover, and of course the lives of many individuals and families in those areas are forever changed from what they might have imagined.

Just a note on how gigantic the storm became once it came ashore: Even about 800 miles away from the NY-NJ coastline, its outer winds cause dangerous waves on Lake Michigan and some minor flooding along that lake's southern shore.  Even out here in western Illinois we had high winds, with gusts around 40-50 mph over a period of about 3 days.

Board footera