10/10/2024 6:38 pm  #1

Welcome UTOPIA!

Another new member has graced our board.

Welcome UTOPIA!

10/10/2024 7:09 pm  #2

Re: Welcome UTOPIA!

Like many of my generation,i did not really know much about Bing Crosby apart from seeing him in the movie High Society.Things changed when i finished getting Frank Sinatra's Capitol lps on cds in. 1998.I then began collecting Bing on cd and ending up with 87.From the High Society soundtrack to original albums , radio recordings and compilations,i found out why he is one of the most important singer of the previous century.

Last edited by UTOPIA (10/10/2024 7:23 pm)

11/10/2024 2:09 am  #3

Welcome, and looking forward to chatting in the future!

I imagine that the path from Sinatra, and other younger singers, to Bing is a common one, now even more so than in '98.  Bing is gone from the public consciousness now, whereas Sinatra, or Dino, etc. still have some sway in the public eye, though even that is now quickly fading.  Did some particular song of Bing's initially catch your ear, or was he simply the next step back in time after Sinatra?

11/10/2024 5:41 am  #4

Utopia, Welcome to the World of Bing! My name is Carmela, I am a fan since the early 90's but I liked Bing since I was a kid. His movies were played a lot on TV in the USA throughout 1970's. And my mom sang his songs to me as a baby.

11/10/2024 2:34 pm  #5

Welcome to you, Utopia. Lovely that you have joined. 
I actually began to appreciate Sinatra the other way round, via Bing in 1992 through my previous work in the record trade.

High Society is a jewel of a film and a soundtrack, isn't it? You certainly sound to have built an impressive collection, already. Other than the above, are there any particular album favourites that stand out for you? 

I'm so delighted you hold Bing in such high esteem and am so looking forward to the chats. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (11/10/2024 2:36 pm)

11/10/2024 4:35 pm  #6

Ian and Utopia, I love the soundtrack to High Society!  I am different from the both of you in that I came to appreciate Perry Como and Russ Columbo via Bing. But Bing will always be my favorite.

11/10/2024 10:30 pm  #7

... I also came to appreciate Perry Como via Bing in the 1980's and then much, much later, courtesy of an online Crosby meeting this year, Russ Columbo.

I thought Perry Como out of all those great singers to emerge from the dance and big bands of the nineteen twenties to the nineteen forties was by far the best and most consistent chooser, singer and interpreter of the later pop standards of the post Beatles era from the 1970's to the late 'eighties.

His "And I love You So" from Don MacLean", "I Think I Love You" via David Cassidy, Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water", The Beatles' "Here, There and Everywhere", "Yesterday", "Something" and "Michelle", Bread's "Aubrey",  the Roberta Flack stamped "Killing me Softly ..." and of course the recently gathered Kris Kristofferson's "For The Good Times"  were all given beautifully traditional but at the same time, unlaboured, thoughtful and contemporary treatments by an old master who made their transitions sound so smoothly effortless. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/10/2024 6:03 pm)

11/10/2024 11:46 pm  #8

Ian, I agree about Perry Como's versions of those songs. I think my liking Bing and Como is hereditary. My mom and two grandmothers loved them. I never knew about my grandmothers tastes in singers till I became a Bing fan and my mom told me. One grandmother died before I came along and the other died when I was 5. So now the music connects me to them. The power of music is amazing!

12/10/2024 1:57 am  #9

I'm so sorry to learn of the passing of your grandmothers, Carmela. I was very fortunate to spend some happy hours listening to Bing with my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother. I was fortunate to intimately know all four of my grandparents.

My maternal grandfather adored Al  Jolson and when courting my grandmother and then when married, she'd have to accompany him to the cinema each time the new monthly (as it seemed to her) Jolson picture was released. She found them a bit of a trial and then was most amused that I then became a fan over fifty years later. My great grandparent's generation would have enjoyed Edwardian parlour songs and Music Hall (vaudeville) songs of the late nineteenth and pre-First World War era. 

You are always very kind in your comments towards me, Carmela but I think in the light of my over lengthy messages, maybe my moniker on here should be a  shortened version of your suggestion, namely "Mr Arm", to signify how long  my posts are.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (12/10/2024 2:00 am)

12/10/2024 3:29 am  #10

Ian, You are very funny. Don't worry about long posts, I got good at speed reading since I read the last 5 issues of Bing in one sitting. Lol! My dad loved Al Jolson. Do you have the Bing Crosby Meets Al Jolson Complete Radio Duets CD set? It's great! I played it for my dad when it came out, he loved it! Ian, I had my 2 grandfathers a long time. My parents loved music but never collected on it. They were always busy working and raising a family. My mom's dad was in the Army WW1, he always called the Brits "Limey's"( is that the correct spelling?). He said they were great soldiers and that when he was in France, the women were very fast. He was a good man. He looked like David Lobosco's grandfather ( both looked like Peter Boyle). Right David? Hey! Ian maybe your moniker could be Limey. Mine could be Spaghetti Pusher. Bing once called Dean Martin that.

13/10/2024 4:00 pm  #11

I do indeed have the Jolson/Crosby radio duets set. It's beautifully presented. They both sound in great voice and in a strange way, despite their difference in styles, well suited. I say in a strange way because Jolson was a pre-microphone era singer and of course that's the instrument which gave birth to Bing's career and style but they both bonded musically and comedically. I'm pleased your father was able to hear this wonderfully attractive set (produced by my fellow "Limey", Ken Barnes?). 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/10/2024 4:02 pm)

Board footera