13/10/2024 7:41 pm  #1

What Are Your Favorite Bing Crosby Books

Just to get the conversation started, what are your favorite Bing books out there?
Awhile back I did a video of my favorites, I'll see if I can dig it up...

13/10/2024 10:27 pm  #2

Re: What Are Your Favorite Bing Crosby Books

David, My favorites are "Call me Lucky", Kathryn's 3 books, Giddins 2 books, Ken Barnes book and I know I would love Malcolm's " Day by Day" book, maybe one day I will be able to get it.

13/10/2024 11:47 pm  #3

I have a real soft spot for Charles Thompson's 1976, "Bing - The Authorised Biography", which I first read aged twelve years on a beautiful summer's narrow boat cruise in Shropshire. I do appreciate so much research has been uncovered since Bing's death but the book has such a breezy, cozy and intimate warmth to it, with the now seemingly untraceable author having spoken at length to not only Bing - but also to many of Crosby's associates, still around at the time. 

Malcolm's "Day By Day" book is just so invaluable. I never cease to be amazed and staggered at the enormity of his vast and beautifully readable achievement. Talk about the ultimate reference book on Bing. it's attention to detail is always a fan's delight to dip into. If it wasn't so heavy, I'd take it with me, each time I go away.

It's also been such an honour and privilege to have the acquaintance of this hugely knowledgeable, friendly, cheery, warm and twinkling self effacing gentleman. And to have landed a couple of years ago, my own (now author signed)  copy, without having to have sold my house. Honestly, gang - copies are now becoming like hen's teeth!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/10/2024 11:59 pm)

14/10/2024 3:52 am  #4

I don't have Malcolm's book, which is invaluable of course, due to the fact that it has become impossible to find an affordable copy anywhere no matter how hard one may try. Fortunately, its content is available on the ICC website and has been extremely helpful for my articles and occasional research on Bing. A few years ago I recorded this video in which I speak at length about my favorite books on Bing and show the copies I have. In case you're interested, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPZmJC4NQGw&t 

Best,

AGF

14/10/2024 10:04 am  #5

A few more I would like to mention are Nathaniel's book, The Crosby( golf book) and the one Bing's niece wrote, Elko. Sorry I forgot exact titles. I have to get my books out but you know which ones I mean. Lol! Anton, I will watch your video later.

Board footera