07/3/2023 5:06 am  #1

“Bing Crosby’s Irish Songbook” - Streaming March 10

Get in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day with Bing Crosby's Irish Songbook! Listen to his new 15-track album, which features previously unreleased Irish songs such as "My Wild Irish Rose", and many more. This collection showcases Crosby's love for Irish culture and his unique interpretation of traditional ballads and upbeat jigs. Pre-save Bing Crosby's Irish Songbook ☘️🇮🇪

https://lnk.to/BingCrosbysIrishSongbook

Above is what the Bing Crosby account posted, with seemingly brand new official radio mastering. I look forward to it.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

07/3/2023 1:13 pm  #2

Re: “Bing Crosby’s Irish Songbook” - Streaming March 10

Call me an old man at 48, but I wish I could simply download the music to an mp3 and make my own CD. I don't have those music streaming platforms. Is there a way to download it to an mp3?

07/3/2023 2:07 pm  #3

I believe you can buy it on Amazon then download the mp3s, it’s been a while since I used Amazon like that, but it should work. Of course the Irish Songbook isn’t listed on there yet, but that should work with the Valentine’s Day album.

07/3/2023 2:47 pm  #4

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I believe you can buy it on Amazon then download the mp3s, it’s been a while since I used Amazon like that, but it should work. Of course the Irish Songbook isn’t listed on there yet, but that should work with the Valentine’s Day album.

That's righ! I used to buy downloads on Amazon a lot. I'll have to check it out.

07/3/2023 5:46 pm  #5

I hope it works out! This Irish songbook album sounds promising in terms of content, so excited to see what is included on Friday. I will send the track listing in here as soon as I have it.

10/3/2023 9:02 pm  #6

Here is the official press release:

DUBLIN, Ireland (March 10th, 2023) – Fans of Bing Crosby are in for a treat with the release of his new 15-track album “Bing Crosby’s Irish Songbook”, which features previously unreleased Irish songs (Stream it HERE). This collection showcases Crosby’s love for Irish culture and his unique interpretation of traditional ballads and upbeat jigs.
Although Bing’s fans may recognize most of the songs on the album, 12 are previously unreleased versions that were recorded for radio shows and TV specials. And 2 of the tracks (“Johnny Doughboy Found a Rose in Ireland” and “My Wild Irish Rose”) are completely rare recordings that have never been released to DSP’s.
One of the 20th century’s greatest multi-media stars, Crosby was integral in the development of audio recordings, motion pictures, and radio broadcasting — a legacy carried on today through his Estate and Primary Wave, which continue to which continue to grow his presence using new technology to reach new audiences, optimizing his catalog for the streaming era.
“Bing Crosby’s Irish Songbook” offers a glimpse into a lesser-known side of Crosby’s repertoire, highlighting his appreciation for the rich musical traditions of Ireland. Featuring timeless classics such as “Galway Bay” and “Isle of Innisfree”, this album promises to be a treasure trove of hidden gems that will delight fans and newcomers alike.
This collection of previously unreleased tracks is a testament to Crosby’s enduring popularity and showcases his remarkable vocal range and versatility. The songs on the album are a mix of haunting ballads and lively jigs, with Crosby’s unique interpretation giving each one a fresh and vibrant sound.
Accompanying the release is an official music video for “Galway Bay” (watch HERE) Fans may recognize the video clip, from Bing’s 1967 TV Special A Little Bit of Irish filmed in Dublin.
The release is the 2nd album release of the year from The Crosby Estate following A Valentine from Bing in February.
In a world where music is often disposable, “Bing Crosby’s Irish Songbook” is a reminder of the enduring power of great music. With this album, fans of Crosby can discover new sides of his career while enjoying some of the greatest Irish songs of all time.

10/3/2023 9:04 pm  #7

St. Patrick’s Day Parade (March 14, 1951 Chesterfield)
Dear Old Donegal (March 14, 1946 Kraft Music Hall)
Peg O’ My Heart (October 1, 1947 Philco)
When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (March 14, 1940 Kraft Music Hall)
Johnny Doughboy Found a Rose In Ireland (March 28, 1942 Kraft Music Hall)
Top Of The Morning (September 21, 1949 Chesterfield)
Two Shillelagh O’Sullivan (Studio recording with the added audience reaction done for the February 25, 1952 Chesterfield show)
The Isle Of Innisfree (March 14, 1967 “A Little Bit Of Irish” TV special)
McNamara’s Band (March 15, 1945 Kraft Music Hall)
My Wild Irish Rose (September 17, 1943 G.I. Journal)
Did Your Mother Come From Ireland? (1954 Buddy Cole re-recording for the Musical Autobiography album)
Galway Bay (March 14, 1967 “A Little Bit Of Irish” TV special)
The Rose Of Tralee (June 12, 1941 Kraft Music Hall)
How Are Things In Glocca Morra? (April 16, 1947 Philco with the introduction edited out)
Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (February, 1960 Buddy Cole recording)

These are the tracks with the sources being found by yours truly with help from David Currington.

10/3/2023 10:18 pm  #8

Yes, this is available for purchase on the download sites. Available in lossless format (true CD quality) on Qobuz.com. 

By the way, has the Crosby estate regained the rights to some of Bing's Decca recordings? I notice on the download and streaming sites that some of his Decca albums (for example, "Songs I Wish I Had Sung") now list the copyright as only "HLC Properties LTD. "

Last edited by Brian W. (10/3/2023 10:19 pm)

10/3/2023 11:57 pm  #9

Those are just listed under on HLC Propertties, but if you look at the information of each individual track you can see the ones belonging to UMG and the ones that belong to the estate.

11/3/2023 10:03 am  #10

Many thanks to John and David for identifying the sources of the tracks. I subscribe to the Qobuz streaming service so I've lined up this and the Valentine's album for streaming in CD quality. Qobuz allows me to 'import' tracks for offline listening, but only within the Qobuz app, so I couldn't burn a CD from them. To do that you have to purchase the album from Qobuz and download the tracks. You can then do what you like with them! Current price for the album in CD quality is £13.99. Amazon's tracks are mp3 quality and the album is £10.29.

11/3/2023 8:02 pm  #11

I very well could buy it on Qobuz sometime, but I’m waiting to see if we get a physical release anytime soon for this one. Until then I will be avidly streaming it on Spotify to show interest.

12/3/2023 4:50 am  #12

I made a few mistakes which were pointed out to me, Two Shillelagh O’Sullivan was February 27, while Johnny Doughboy was from June 11, 1942’s Command Performance 17.

18/3/2023 3:06 am  #13

What do we think of the music? I think it's marvelous. I got a real kick out of the 1945 KMH version of "McNamara's Band" where they switch to a swing arrangement in the second half - never heard that before, and a fun variation on the Decca version.

18/3/2023 5:38 am  #14

It's on youtube. I will check it out later on. Its late.

18/3/2023 8:47 pm  #15

This is a fantastic compilation, but my only very slight criticism - and it may well depend on which streaming platform you're using - is that there is absolutely no 'gap' between the tracks, so there is no time to catch your breath between a lovely ballad and an upbeat number.

19/3/2023 1:14 am  #16

I am recording from YouTube onto cassette and then to usb.

Board footera