15/7/2022 5:50 pm  #1

Underrated Bing Crosby

I think I posted this topic before but I am always curious on what people say is an underrated Bing record. Underrated meaning a record that people don't using recognize or appreciate as much.

My choice is Love In A Home:

Bing's recording of "Love In A Home", which he put to record on October 3, 1956 is one of my favorite Bing recordings from the 1950s. It is an unlikely ballad from the musical "Lil Abner".

07/3/2023 5:03 am  #2

Re: Underrated Bing Crosby

I don’t know how I missed this thread, but one recording I’ve always felt to be underrated is All Through The Day. I don’t know why, but I’ve always liked that one and feel it doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

07/3/2023 1:13 pm  #3

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I don’t know how I missed this thread, but one recording I’ve always felt to be underrated is All Through The Day. I don’t know why, but I’ve always liked that one and feel it doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

I agreed. That is a great recording as well.

I think this thread got buried. Thanks for reviving it.

07/3/2023 2:10 pm  #4

I do what I must! I’ve been guilty for not being the most active, so I must at least try to do some reviving. I’ll try to think of some more underrated recordings while I go through my day today, and see if I can’t make some semblance of a list tonight.

08/3/2023 2:24 am  #5

Where The Rainbow Ends
It’s All In The Game
Just For Tonight
Don’t Let That Moon Get Away
It’s Not Where You Start
I’ve Heard That Song Before
Ol’ Man River (1945 recording)

There’s just a few I could think of, in terms of underrated recordings I could think of. I know you’re not the biggest fan of the 1945 version of Ol’ Man River, but it’s a firm favorite of mine.

08/3/2023 3:14 am  #6

Yodelin' Ghost! Great Halloween song! Blast this one next time you play it! Awesome!

08/3/2023 8:56 am  #7

I've always really enjoyed 'A Flight of Fancy' from 1952, with Camerata and his orchestra. It was written for, but not used in, the film, Just For You. I think it's an underrated song and it fits Bing to a tee..!

08/3/2023 12:35 pm  #8

Blonde56 wrote:

Yodelin' Ghost! Great Halloween song! Blast this one next time you play it! Awesome!

I agree! This song really grew on me through the years!

08/3/2023 12:37 pm  #9

jeremyrose wrote:

I've always really enjoyed 'A Flight of Fancy' from 1952, with Camerata and his orchestra. It was written for, but not used in, the film, Just For You. I think it's an underrated song and it fits Bing to a tee..!

That song is on my list. A lot of Bing's 1940s and 1950s recordings are on my list like:

1. Flight Of Fancy
2. My Heart Goes Crazy
3. As Long As I'm Dreaming
4. Ol Spring Fever
5. Where Is Your Heart (radio recording)
6. I Still Suits Me (with Lee Wiley)
7. Then You've Never Been Blue
8. Love In A Home

Just a few off my head...

Last edited by Lobosco (08/3/2023 12:38 pm)

08/3/2023 2:28 pm  #10

I agree with all of these, I feel Bing’s record output in the early ‘50s is underrated in general. His voice is at a wonderful state, and his interpretation powers is at one of its peaks.

08/3/2023 3:09 pm  #11

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I agree with all of these, I feel Bing’s record output in the early ‘50s is underrated in general. His voice is at a wonderful state, and his interpretation powers is at one of its peaks.

Agreed. His voice got tired in 1944/1945 but it seems to come back by the later 40s.

09/3/2023 6:08 am  #12

I agree that Bing’s record output in the early ‘50s is underrated in general.”

It's a favorite period for me, and ‘Something Wonderful’ (1951) is a favorite underrated recording.

Last edited by Rod Poynter (09/3/2023 6:09 am)

09/3/2023 3:04 pm  #13

Rod Poynter wrote:

I agree that Bing’s record output in the early ‘50s is underrated in general.”

It's a favorite period for me, and ‘Something Wonderful’ (1951) is a favorite underrated recording.

That's a great one. I forgot about that song. Bing does a beautiful job on it!

12/4/2023 6:15 am  #14

I will TRY ONE-The timeline of Bing Crosby's decades of recordings find tech standards clashing from the 1920s to the 1970s. lot of recording fodder, rated good or not, is easily forgotten. As rated by critics, in his time, the SONG that was MOST noted was STAR DUST, A lot of recordings were made of it, by a lot of people. I think even Gary Giddins favors a version by Nat King Cole, Bing himself recorded it twice, in 1931 & 1939.For my ears, Bing's1939 version is at least ok. Pleasant enough, yet for the song, Bing had already defined it in 1931.Like so many other standards of the day, Bing's superb vocal is largely buried or ignored. So, in ranking A well-known song, then an artist, the song belongs to Bing. /

12/4/2023 11:43 am  #15

Colin Bratkovich wrote:

I will TRY ONE-The timeline of Bing Crosby's decades of recordings find tech standards clashing from the 1920s to the 1970s. lot of recording fodder, rated good or not, is easily forgotten. As rated by critics, in his time, the SONG that was MOST noted was STAR DUST, A lot of recordings were made of it, by a lot of people. I think even Gary Giddins favors a version by Nat King Cole, Bing himself recorded it twice, in 1931 & 1939.For my ears, Bing's1939 version is at least ok. Pleasant enough, yet for the song, Bing had already defined it in 1931.Like so many other standards of the day, Bing's superb vocal is largely buried or ignored. So, in ranking A well-known song, then an artist, the song belongs to Bing. /

I agree. I much prefer many of Bing's "original" versions as compared to ones he remade. The 1931 Stardust is definitely one of them. It was perfection.

12/4/2023 1:27 pm  #16

None of Bing’s remakes, mainly those 1939-1940 ones, stack up to the original recordings most of the time in my eyes. An exception is June In January from the Seasons album, I feel like it is an equal to the studio and film versions.

12/4/2023 1:59 pm  #17

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

None of Bing’s remakes, mainly those 1939-1940 ones, stack up to the original recordings most of the time in my eyes. An exception is June In January from the Seasons album, I feel like it is an equal to the studio and film versions.

It's been awhile since I listened to the June In January recordings. I'll have to check them out. I agree with you though 100%. 

12/4/2023 4:12 pm  #18

I always liked "Ol' Spring Fever" 1952.

Also "Wait 'Till the Sun Shines, Nellie" with Mary Martin. The intro on this one is interesting, I'm referring to the Musical Autobiography spoken intro. He states that this was one of his most successful records. Giving credit to Mary Martin duetting. I will have to check my copy of Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890 - 1954. I don't think it charted.

Of course success can be determined in many ways.

Bryon G Harlan had a #1 hit with it 1906 based on 1 million sales in sheet music and radio play.

12/4/2023 4:19 pm  #19

Benclink wrote:

I always liked "Ol' Spring Fever" 1952.

Also "Wait 'Till the Sun Shines, Nellie" with Mary Martin. The intro on this one is interesting, I'm referring to the Musical Autobiography spoken intro. He states that this was one of his most successful records. Giving credit to Mary Martin duetting. I will have to check my copy of Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890 - 1954. I don't think it charted.

Of course success can be determined in many ways.

Bryon G Harlan had a #1 hit with it 1906 based on 1 million sales in sheet music and radio play.

I agree with Ol Spring Fever. It was deleted from the movie JUST FOR YOU, but there's something about Ol Spring Fever I have always loved.

Another underrated Bing and Mary Martin pairing was "Lily Of Laguna" too.

12/4/2023 4:31 pm  #20

I forgot that it was deleted from the film. Thank you!

I just listen to the 1954 intro for "Wait 'Til the Sun Shines, Nellie" He says "I suppose the most successful record I ever made..."

12/4/2023 5:38 pm  #21

Bing also recorded four songs from The King And I - and normally I'm not a big Rodgers & Hammerstein fan but Bing sings them great:

-Hello Young Lovers
-Getting To Know You
-I Whistle A Happy Tune
-Something Wonderful

13/4/2023 4:32 am  #22

Restricting my list to studio recordings, I'll nominate some form the 1950s: More  I Cannot Wish You, Maria Bonita, A Weaver of Dreams, A Quiet Girl and Nothing in Common. As a matter of interest, none were released a singles in Australia.

18/4/2023 5:14 am  #23

The tech skill's of Pete Moore's musical backup for Bing's 'SEASONS" album at least found a good voice for a man in his 70s.The album is pleasant listening. A comparison with Bing's 1934 recording of JUNE IN JANUARY ,is stretching things a bit, however, More modern ears can identify Georgie Stoll's 1934 orchestra dated, (but still great),&  Bing's vocal DEFINED the song. His voice ,of a man in his 30s,was at it's peak, at this time. You can underrate  Crosby in 1934,I guess, but I cannot./

Board footera