03/3/2023 7:14 pm  #1

Commentary for Country Girl

I watched an hour of this commentary so far and 2 things I want to discuss. The commentator mentions Bing being an alcoholic all his life. I know Bing drank a lot before fame but thought he had it under control the rest of his life. He also mentions Bing asking Grace Kelly to Marry him and she refused. I know Bing dated her but didn't know he wanted to marry her. I'm reading Giddings second book but I am not up to Country Girl yet. I don't want to jump ahead. I'm up to Going My Way.

03/3/2023 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Commentary for Country Girl

I think Bing was ‘open season’ for the tabloids as he took Mona Freeman out a couple of times and they were making stuff up - the second Mrs. Crosby?
It was a difficult period for him after Dixie’s death.

06/3/2023 6:44 pm  #3

I do remember reading that Bing Crosby did propose to her and that the Prince banned the film High Society in Monaco because of it.  There is a tabloid article out there linking her to every leading man expect Jimmy Stewart because Gloria Stewart drove him to the set each day when they were filming Rear Window.. 

06/3/2023 9:07 pm  #4

Benclink wrote:

I do remember reading that Bing Crosby did propose to her and that the Prince banned the film High Society in Monaco because of it.  There is a tabloid article out there linking her to every leading man expect Jimmy Stewart because Gloria Stewart drove him to the set each day when they were filming Rear Window.. 

I heard the same thing! A lot of women wanted to marry Bing - Inger Stevens fell very heavy for Bing too.

06/3/2023 11:19 pm  #5

I think they also had Grace in bed with everybody.
Glad I didn’t live in L.A.

13/3/2023 1:43 am  #6

Thanks for all the interesting replies! Boy! Grace had a good time!

Board footera