05/12/2010 9:17 pm  #1

Bing Crosby LPs

I have a ton of Bing Crosby albums...some of them doubles or maybe triples. Is there any albums people are still collecting? Does anyone even collect the old LPs anymore?

06/12/2010 12:23 am  #2

Re: Bing Crosby LPs

Yes. Buying steadily in order to acquire radio material, when found, which is not yet generally on CD. And just sometimes to get cleaner copies than the ones I have.

But tons? Haven't weighed them but doubt it! No suitable weighing machine!

I know some people prefer the sound that the best quality equipment can get out of LPs, and they remain buyers. Locally to me we have a regular series of "Record Fairs" which are very active and amazing prices are asked for certain choice items - including, just occasionally, of Bing.

I saw a clean copy of the 2 LP set "How The West Was Won" for which over 60 pounds was being asked. That was just before the Bear Family CD was issued which must now be three years ago.  I have wondered since whether that price would have been held after the CD issue (not least because I happen to have two sets).

06/12/2010 9:52 pm  #3

After many years of "digital" I pulled out my trusty old Yamaha turntable last January. I cannot believe the amount of LP's I have aquired since then. I kept all of my very large Sinatra collection but had given away or sold most of my old LP's decades ago. This is my first dabbling in Bing LP's and I have collected 15 so far (mostly older Bing and some rarities like the Scobey LP and "El Senor Bing") plus the large "Bing Sings" box set.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

06/12/2010 11:49 pm  #4

Richard Baker wrote:

I saw a clean copy of the 2 LP set "How The West Was Won" for which over 60 pounds was being asked. That was just before the Bear Family CD was issued which must now be three years ago.  I have wondered since whether that price would have been held after the CD issue (not least because I happen to have two sets).

Commiserate with me someone? A set currently on Amazon US for a measly 12 dollars.  Clearly it was not a good 'hold' investment.

07/12/2010 12:02 am  #5

I honestly can't say that any of Bing's LP's are really "investment" material (unless they are sealed first pressings of a rarity). That said, I was crawling around on the floor (literally) of an L.A. book/record store this summer and found a sealed mono copy of "El Senor Bing" that had been in that store for over 10 years (according to the price sticker). I happily gave the man behind the counter $3.00 and walked home with a prized-possesion!!!! 

Last edited by paulmock (07/12/2010 12:03 am)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera