23/1/2023 10:48 pm  #1

Harlan Lattimore, and Bing’s early ‘30s crooning contemporaries.

Another early ‘30s Bing sound-alike was Harlan Lattimore.

Known in his heyday as “the Black Bing”, he became popular on Don Redman’s network radio show, making his recording debut in 1931. Apart from performing with Redman, he guested with other bands…before cutting his final side in 1936.

‘How Do You Do It?’ (1932), with Abe Lyman’s Orchestra, finds Harlan Lattimore sounding uncannily like the young Bing. Incidentally, the song came from a short-lived stage revue of the day, which featured Bob Hope. Do you like it?

How Do You Do It? - YouTube

And do you have any favorites among Bing’s early ‘30s crooning contemporaries?

27/1/2023 2:47 am  #2

Re: Harlan Lattimore, and Bing’s early ‘30s crooning contemporaries.

I'm a big fan of Harlan Lattimore, and he made many recordings with Don Redman. He was known as the "Colored Bing Crosby" (that's how he was billed in the 1930s.) My favorite recording of Harlan is "Got The South In My Soul". He was a great singer!

02/2/2023 5:40 am  #3

Harlan Lattimore! Yes, a fine black crooner, who was a band singer with the Afro-American Don Redman Orchestra, a fixture in 'Connies Inn', a popular 1930s Harlem night spot, rivaling another gangster led entity, the 'Cotton Club'. Harlan also produced a group of solo performances, away from Redman. Including the white led bands of Ed Lloyd, Víctor Young, Owen Fallon. Hé sounds just like Bing, or perhaps Bing sounds just like him? Of the 25 titles I have of his, perhaps his versions of "With Summer Coming On" & "Some Day Wel''ll Meet Again " clinch it? /A few more Harlan notes: /1. Don Redman was no stranger to Bing (on "Lawd You Made the Night Too Long"). Was Bing Aware of Harlan? /2. Harlan Lattimore did record after 1936.I have a post war recording "I Love You, I Do ", with the Henry Glover Orchestra, that I had originally thought to have been recorded before 1950.I have since found out that the (King-4359) ditty was recorded in 1950.

04/2/2023 4:11 am  #4

Thanks Rod, David and Colin. I'd heard of him but hadn't heard any of his records. He sang well, didn't he.

14/2/2023 5:52 pm  #5

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Thanks Rod, David and Colin. I'd heard of him but hadn't heard any of his records. He sang well, didn't he.

I believe Harlan's career was cut short by drinking, and he was in prison for a spell in the 1940s. I think he made his last recording in 1949, but he lived until 1980 so I wonder what he did for the rest of his life.

Anyone have any other info on Harlan Lattimore?

Board footera