18/12/2022 9:22 pm  #1

1931 Records

I recently revisted some of Bing's records during the 1931 period. What an amazing and powerful voice Bing had then. His record output in 1931 was amazing!

19/12/2022 9:13 am  #2

Re: 1931 Records

I agree David his voice in this period was just wonderful- it’s no wonder he became a sensation at the time. There are so many favourites including the one you posted along with I Apologise, A faded summer love and his theme song which is just beautiful. 

19/12/2022 2:15 pm  #3

dgmprod wrote:

I agree David his voice in this period was just wonderful- it’s no wonder he became a sensation at the time. There are so many favourites including the one you posted along with I Apologise, A faded summer love and his theme song which is just beautiful. 

Yeah I would say that 1931 was one of my favorite years for Bing records - although there are countless years to pick from. This year was really tremendous for Bing!

23/12/2022 5:42 am  #4

It must have been astonishing for many folk to turn on their radios in 1931 and hear Bing's recordings. Aussies were less fortunate because Brunswick  (Australia) went out of business that year and and seventeen of the titles (including Now That You're Gone) which Bing recorded for Brunswick in 1931 were never released here as singles.

23/12/2022 6:41 pm  #5

Graham Pascoe wrote:

It must have been astonishing for many folk to turn on their radios in 1931 and hear Bing's recordings. Aussies were less fortunate because Brunswick  (Australia) went out of business that year and and seventeen of the titles (including Now That You're Gone) which Bing recorded for Brunswick in 1931 were never released here as singles.

Wow, that's interesting. I never knew that!

04/1/2023 7:12 am  #6

It should be also noted that in the 1931 (US), records were not permitted to be broadcast on commercial radio. Recording artists did all they could to promote recordings over live radio broadcasts, live personal appearances on radio or, if lucky enough, in film. There was also a lot less people purchasing records, as the great depression, hit the country & world very hard. Many found an investment in a radio, indeed a better, if any, investment for entertainment. While some other contemporaries of Bing did manage to hang on, there were NO other (1931) COMMERCIAL entertainers that even came close to Bing Crosby's combined SOLO success in recordings, radio & film. /I would also venture, without the depression, most of those great VICTOR & Brunswick masters would have been million sellers! I more so suspect & speculate that SOME of those original VICTOR & Brunswick master, counting the small original sales & linking them to re-issues, since (1931), did sell over a million.1931 recorded titles include "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams". "Just One More Chance", Star Dust" & especially "Where The Blue Of The Night".

04/1/2023 9:09 pm  #7

Thanks Colin for that information. I of course had noted many times the small writing on the 78s saying “not for broadcast “ but I dismissed them not really thinking about it. I assumed of course they could be played but only once permission was granted. It makes sense then that singers like Bing really depended upon radio to promote their current releases. 

Board footera