19/12/2022 9:07 am  #1

Man on Fire and Bing’s phrase “bucket butt”

Hi all. The last episode of my series on Bing’s films deals with the 1957 film Man on Fire and it’s interesting to see that at one point Bing says to his teenage son “get your little bucket but over here”. This made me think back to Gary’s book “Going my own way” where he mentions that Bing used to call him names like bucket butt. It was implied in the writing that it was said as an insult and in a cruel way but I think that Bing would have most likely said it in the same manner as he does in this film - as a light hearted jibe very similar to the “insults” that Bing and Bob Hope used to trade back and forth. It goes to show that when reading something it can be taken one way but when heard within the context of a conversation it can have a totally different interpretation. Gary may have taken it as an insult at the time but it may not have been intended that way. Of course we don’t know as we weren’t there so we can only read about Gary’s take on the situation but hearing Bing say the same phrase in this film does give us a different take on the event. 

19/12/2022 1:56 pm  #2

Re: Man on Fire and Bing’s phrase “bucket butt”

dgmprod wrote:

Hi all. The last episode of my series on Bing’s films deals with the 1957 film Man on Fire and it’s interesting to see that at one point Bing says to his teenage son “get your little bucket but over here”. This made me think back to Gary’s book “Going my own way” where he mentions that Bing used to call him names like bucket butt. It was implied in the writing that it was said as an insult and in a cruel way but I think that Bing would have most likely said it in the same manner as he does in this film - as a light hearted jibe very similar to the “insults” that Bing and Bob Hope used to trade back and forth. It goes to show that when reading something it can be taken one way but when heard within the context of a conversation it can have a totally different interpretation. Gary may have taken it as an insult at the time but it may not have been intended that way. Of course we don’t know as we weren’t there so we can only read about Gary’s take on the situation but hearing Bing say the same phrase in this film does give us a different take on the event. 

I'm reading your post as I watch that scene from Man On Fire. Hearing Bing says "bucket butt" bothered me, but it was another generation at another time. Growing up in the 1980s, my father said things to me that I would never dream of saying to my younger children. 

On a different note, would you ever consider to do the remaining Bing films that he made from 1959 to 1965? It would be a great final end to Bing's extensive film work.

19/12/2022 8:51 pm  #3

Hi David yes I am looking at doing 2 more episodes to cover the extra years. One being “The Later Years” covering 1959-1972 and the other covering “The Early Years” covering the 1930-1931 period. Now that I’ve got into the swing of things I’ve got to keep myself busy! We are finally travelling again in January which will be nice so will get onto it once we get over the festive season in February. Christmas Cheers to all. 

20/12/2022 8:01 pm  #4

dgmprod wrote:

Hi David yes I am looking at doing 2 more episodes to cover the extra years. One being “The Later Years” covering 1959-1972 and the other covering “The Early Years” covering the 1930-1931 period. Now that I’ve got into the swing of things I’ve got to keep myself busy! We are finally travelling again in January which will be nice so will get onto it once we get over the festive season in February. Christmas Cheers to all. 

That is great news! I have really enjoyed the series!

Board footera