28/12/2019 8:34 am  #1

Bing's Christmas TV Specials

I know I am a bit late to this being 3 days after Christmas and all, but does any one know any ways to get some of Bing's Christmas specials that weren't released in that The television specials volume two? Specifically Merry Christmas Fred, From the Crosby's? I've found snippets online, and I know it was partially included on that TimeLife set, but alas it was chopped up.

On a side note I have the same question for Bing's 50th anniversary special.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

29/12/2019 2:46 am  #2

Re: Bing's Christmas TV Specials

I've seen about the GET tv broadcasts even the Black Friday airings, and I would've loved to watch it, but I don't get the channel on TV ironically.

24/3/2022 4:59 pm  #3

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I know I am a bit late to this being 3 days after Christmas and all, but does any one know any ways to get some of Bing's Christmas specials that weren't released in that The television specials volume two? Specifically Merry Christmas Fred, From the Crosby's? I've found snippets online, and I know it was partially included on that TimeLife set, but alas it was chopped up.

Sorry this an even (far) later response but I'm a new member. This link might be worth a try as it offers both. I was also looking for these specials but haven't yet attempted to purchase them.     

http://www.classicretrovintagedvds.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1122

Also, as they look to be unofficial releases, I checked as to the reliability of the sight offering this (admittedly as part of a bundle with many other shows). Although headline wise, the below link doesn't read too well - but if you scroll down a little further from the single posted critical review, more potentially assuring detail emerges to the right of the screen.

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/pensacola/profile/dvd-sales/classic-retro-vintage-dvds-0683-90033312

With specic regard to lack of official availablilty of "Merry Christmas, Fred, From the Crosbys": This will more than likely be at least partly due to the keyholder of the Astaire estate's (widow, Mrs Robyn Astaire) long history of reticence, exorbitantly high fees and sometimes controversial litigation on matters pertaining to newly released material featuring her late husband (sighted image rights, Etc). The odds are that we'll be waiting an eternity for any sort of official full release. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (24/3/2022 5:11 pm)

12/12/2022 3:30 pm  #4

Ian Kerstein wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

Sorry this an even (far) later response but I'm a new member. This link might be worth a try as it offers both. I was also looking for these specials but haven't yet attempted to purchase them.     

http://www.classicretrovintagedvds.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1122

Also, as they look to be unofficial releases, I checked as to the reliability of the sight offering this (admittedly as part of a bundle with many other shows). Although headline wise, the below link doesn't read too well - but if you scroll down a little further from the single posted critical review, more potentially assuring detail emerges to the right of the screen.

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/pensacola/profile/dvd-sales/classic-retro-vintage-dvds-0683-90033312

With specic regard to lack of official availablilty of "Merry Christmas, Fred, From the Crosbys": This will more than likely be at least partly due to the keyholder of the Astaire estate's (widow, Mrs Robyn Astaire) long history of reticence, exorbitantly high fees and sometimes controversial litigation on matters pertaining to newly released material featuring her late husband (sighted image rights, Etc). The odds are that we'll be waiting an eternity for any sort of official full release. 

The quality of the Christmas specials from this seller is very good. They are taken from the Get TV broadcasts and look just about as good as they did there.  Personally, I think the Fred special is a disappointment due to insufficient Christmas content and song selection. The Sun Valley special is perhaps the best.

12/12/2022 4:45 pm  #5

JoeDoakes wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

The quality of the Christmas specials from this seller is very good. They are taken from the Get TV broadcasts and look just about as good as they did there.  Personally, I think the Fred special is a disappointment due to insufficient Christmas content and song selection. The Sun Valley special is perhaps the best.

I agree about the Fred Astaire one to an extent because it’s still great to see them working together and reprising songs from the album they did earlier in the year, but it is lacking in Christmas content. The Sun Valley one from the copy I’ve found is kind of disappointing, but with your endorsement I’ll have to get this set sometime. How long do they take to ship?

12/12/2022 9:25 pm  #6

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

JoeDoakes wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

I agree about the Fred Astaire one to an extent because it’s still great to see them working together and reprising songs from the album they did earlier in the year, but it is lacking in Christmas content. The Sun Valley one from the copy I’ve found is kind of disappointing, but with your endorsement I’ll have to get this set sometime. How long do they take to ship?

Idk.  Not long.  It looks sketchy but it was surprising quality

Board footera