11/12/2022 12:28 am  #1

Bing and Christmas

Bing is rarely mentioned in Australian media but our national newspaper The Weekend Australian reviews music releases and its last issue in November wrote about a new album titled Blue Christmas. The vocalist is 'the sheik of shriek', a local rock artist named Jimmy Barnes who sings in 'full-throated rasp mode'. Surprisingly, this selection comprises standards and is 'strangely infectious' but the reviewer thought his version of 'Little Drummer Boy' falls slightly short of 'the gold standard performed by Bing Crosby and David Bowie circa 1977'.

12/12/2022 12:16 am  #2

Re: Bing and Christmas

I am amazed at how many different Bing Crosby songs I am hearing this year on the "oldies" station that turn to Christmas until December 26th.

Here are the Bing songs I have heard:
-White Christmas (1947 version)
-Frosty The Snowman
-Jingle Bells (with The Andrews Sisters)
-Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
-I'll Be Home For Christmas
-Mele Kalikimaka (with The Andrews Sisters)
-We Wish You A Merry Christmas
-You're All I Want For Christmas

Off the top of my head, that is what I remember hearing...

12/12/2022 3:23 am  #3

I was pleasantly surprised when going shopping the other night at the local shopping mall and Bing was playing over the loud speaker. I must admit it was one of his less than familiar Christmas songs and I can’t recall the name which is unusual for me. I must have been concentrating on what type of wine to buy!!

12/12/2022 4:53 pm  #4

So far this season I’ve heard my radio station play;

White Christmas (1947)
Silent Night (1947 as per reruns of Casey Kasem)
Jingle Bells (Casey Kasem, Barry Manilow’s copy version is regularly heard)
Do You Hear What I Hear
Adeste Fideles (1956 Christmas Sing version I believe)
The First Noel (Christmas Sing version, unsure which)
Let It Snow
Frosty the Snowman
I Wish You A Merry Christmas

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

13/12/2022 4:09 pm  #5

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

White Christmas (1947)
Do You Hear What I Hear
Let It Snow
Frosty the Snowman

I hear Barry Manilow's version of Jingle Bells a lot, and while I like Manilow, I hate this version because all he did was completely copy the Bing/Andrews Sisters version down to Bing's ad libs. I cringe when I hear it!

13/12/2022 8:21 pm  #6

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

White Christmas (1947)
Do You Hear What I Hear
Let It Snow
Frosty the Snowman

I hear Barry Manilow's version of Jingle Bells a lot, and while I like Manilow, I hate this version because all he did was completely copy the Bing/Andrews Sisters version down to Bing's ad libs. I cringe when I hear it!

I don’t necessarily cringe at it, but it annoys me to no end. The only difference is the beginning piano, but even the clarinet solo is copied!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

19/12/2022 9:00 pm  #7

I remember back to 1990 when I was working in radio here in Sydney and Barry Manilow was interviewed on the morning show by Don Lane who was quite famous here in Australia at the time. The interview was promoting Barry’s Christmas album. I gave Don a copy of Bing’s rejected “fluff” version of Jingle Bells which he played for Barry during the interview. He liked it so much that I made a cassette of Bing’s rejected takes and sent it to Barry and got a lovely note from him saying how much he enjoyed it and doing the interview. I still have the note today amongst my memorabilia and whilst Barry did a decent job on the song I still prefer Bing with the Andrew’s Sisters (both the release version and the fluff version). 

Last edited by dgmprod (19/12/2022 9:02 pm)

Board footera