02/10/2022 10:25 pm  #1

Project Records Recordings

The records that Bing made for his Project Records label in the 1965 and 1968 period are a mixed back, but I relistened to his take on "Stormy Weather" again today, and I was pleasantly surprised...

21/10/2022 6:09 am  #2

Re: Project Records Recordings

'Stormy weather' must surely be one of Harold Arlen's best songs with a great lyric by Ted Koehler. I'll bet many artists have recorded it but I doubt that Bing's would be one of the best.

23/10/2022 8:29 am  #3

I was pleasantly suprised when I re-listened to Bing's interpretation of Stormy Weather. I for one would love to see these songs from 1965-1968 released in a remastered version.

24/10/2022 11:38 pm  #4

Lena Horne probably had the best recording of this song.

26/10/2022 2:05 am  #5

Ron Field wrote:

Lena Horne probably had the best recording of this song.

I agree - either Lena Horne or Connee Boswell

27/10/2022 7:48 pm  #6

I would actually like to see all of the Longines Symphonette recordings, (Bing & non-Bing), released. I have one of the box sets on vinyl and find it very pleasant listening!

18/11/2022 4:14 am  #7

Harold Arlen's own recording pre-ceded the ETHEL WATERS (1933 Cotton Club) BRUNSWICK recording of STORMY WEATHER. It was Ethel's own classic recording, noted by her own stage triumph that forever clinched it. Around the same time, Ivie Anderson (Ethel's own Cottn Club understudy), recorded a fab film short of the song. Years later in 1941, Lena Horne , produced a great recording on Victor. Later, in 1943 , Lena's filmed production defined it as something special. Frank Sinatra also a fan of Ethel, also recorded STORMY WEATHER. Taste's may vary, yet it's still ETHEL WATERS original 1933 recording that is still hard to beat! Too bad Bing did not record it then-or if he did it on radio in 1933, I have yet to find it! (Also note that ETHEL WATERS was a huge influence on popular music in the 1920s & 30s.More so, among her many followers, was Bing himself/

18/11/2022 4:14 pm  #8

Colin Bratkovich wrote:

Harold Arlen's own recording pre-ceded the ETHEL WATERS (1933 Cotton Club) BRUNSWICK recording of STORMY WEATHER. It was Ethel's own classic recording, noted by her own stage triumph that forever clinched it. Around the same time, Ivie Anderson (Ethel's own Cottn Club understudy), recorded a fab film short of the song. Years later in 1941, Lena Horne , produced a great recording on Victor. Later, in 1943 , Lena's filmed production defined it as something special. Frank Sinatra also a fan of Ethel, also recorded STORMY WEATHER. Taste's may vary, yet it's still ETHEL WATERS original 1933 recording that is still hard to beat! Too bad Bing did not record it then-or if he did it on radio in 1933, I have yet to find it! (Also note that ETHEL WATERS was a huge influence on popular music in the 1920s & 30s.More so, among her many followers, was Bing himself/

I always forget Harold Arlen's own version. My personal favorite is Connee Boswells in the 1940s.

23/11/2022 4:36 am  #9

I believe that many years ago I heard a version (on record) of 'Stormy weather' which included a line something like 'Don't know why, got no buttons on my fly', but I can't recall the singer.

07/12/2022 2:09 am  #10

Ethel Waters NEEDS a foot note HERE. Every ear is different. I will conform however, that Bing himself, in his CALL ME LUCKY, noting Ethel at the COTTON CLUB, (Pg.63). Along with Duke Ellington, THIS timeline matches Ethel's introduction of STORMY WEATHER Also note that Water's 1933 recording was backed up by the Dorsey Brothers-Bing's good friends by that time.   More importantly (pg.299), he notes a lasting influence upon him earlier in 1928.At that time the still young musician became very much interested in an Ethel Waters performance in Chicago. Bing, like many others of the jazz age, was very much taken by her music & performances 

Board footera