11/11/2011 8:19 am  #1

New issues from Bing Crosby Enterprises

Go to www.BingCrosby.com for details. The Dixieland CD looks good. Sadly I can't play vinyl anymore so the other issue will pass me by.

11/11/2011 3:09 pm  #2

Re: New issues from Bing Crosby Enterprises

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Go to www.BingCrosby.com for details. The Dixieland CD looks good. Sadly I can't play vinyl anymore so the other issue will pass me by.

Good indeed. Puzzling about the vinyl. Is there really a market out there? I keep reading that certain HiFi 'afficionados' have returned to vinyl but I've not come across any. Most people I know have long since disposed of their LP players. I've retained mine but can only use it with my current set up by virtue of an additional 'step up' pre-amplifier. I and most of those I know have transferred vinyl records that cannot be officially obtained on CD onto CDRs or digitised form on computer/MP3 players.

Still, Malcolm, all is not lost - the announcement includes the statement 'Both Available on iTunes November 29'. I do hope appropriate notes/background information will be issued in support of that option. BCE did a very good service in releasing the notes in pdf format in support of their earlier two iTunes exclusive downloads. 

The Dixieland recordings seem to be all radio derived and some have appeared before on the Mosaic set. In fact they were one of the best parts of that issue. So for those who could not afford that fairly big investment this is ideal, but for some of us, we face, again, the fact of more duplication.

11/11/2011 4:13 pm  #3

My order placed, despite the oddity of the fact that the pages at the site dealing it are all in black type on a black background, only to be revealed when 'stroking' over the surface with a mouse. Then they promptly vanish again.  Very odd and extremely difficult to cope with. And I tried it with two different browsers - 'IE' and 'Chrome'.

I was presented with two options for delivery - Fed Express which took the cost up to over $70 or standard US mail, which seemed to cost nothing - which for international delivery is a little unlikely. Standing by to see what transpires!

I now see I have an email acknowledgement (presumably automatic), but it does seem to confirm I get both for $21.
If really so, I suppose I ought to be prepared to tolerate the vicissitudes of black print on black background! (though a contrast would be preferred).

12/11/2011 3:04 am  #4

My confusion lies in what they are calling the vinyl single - "Bing Crosby Limited Ed. Chritmas Vinyl CD Single".  Vinyl CD Single?  What am I missing here:

http://www.bingcrosbystore.com/servlet/the-64/Bing-Crosby-Limited-Ed./Detail

Does it come with both the vinyl plus a CD?  I'm confused.  Help!

Zane Johnson

12/11/2011 3:19 pm  #5

zanereed wrote:

My confusion lies in what they are calling the vinyl single - "Bing Crosby Limited Ed. Chritmas Vinyl CD Single".  Vinyl CD Single?  What am I missing here:

http://www.bingcrosbystore.com/servlet/the-64/Bing-Crosby-Limited-Ed./Detail

Does it come with both the vinyl plus a CD?  I'm confused.  Help!

Maybe here is the answer http://www.wizbit.net/12cm_cd_duplication_vinyl.htm

A CD but in appearance the effect of a vinyl single????  A cast around the web finds a number of others so described.

A year or so back I saw a batch of records for sale on eBay described as shellac LPs but I didn't waste time in attempting to establish whether they were shellac (i.e. old 78s) or LPs (i.e. vinyl). If really shellac LPs they would have been a bit of a novelty collector's item! In later years of course even 78s were being pressed in vinyl or something like it.

Malcolm, I suspect that this is a CD single of which your player is capable. Not intended to receive a diamond stylus and rotate at a mere 45 (or 33) revolutions per minute.

13/11/2011 2:48 am  #6

A lot of people still enjoy vinyl. I no longer have the vinyl collection I once had since I have most of my collection on CD, but I do have about 200 LPs. I play them a lot, and I find the sound better than a lot of their CD counterparts.

13/11/2011 2:51 am  #7

What are the track details of the Dixieland CD? The Bing Crosby site gives very little details.

13/11/2011 4:23 pm  #8

Lobosco wrote:

What are the track details of the Dixieland CD? The Bing Crosby site gives very little details.

David, they do say that 14 of the tracks are from the Mosaic set. That suggests all of the 'Mosaic' tracks with a 'Dixieland' group are present. The 'hottest' part of the seven disc set in fact.

From what we are told, the remainder come from General Electric and Chesterfield radio material and two of them can therefore be pinned down with some element of certainty - the items with the Firehouse Five and Ella Fitzgerald.

I offer the following as a tentative possibility, but because some of the titles were repeated on different occasions I don't think we can get to a more definitive identification. All the Mosaic tracks are on CD 6 of that set and I give the track number. 

1    'At the Jazz Band Ball' ,  Mosaic 6 - 16
2    'Sometimes I’m Happy' , Mosaic 6-09
3    'Muskrat Ramble' ,  Mosaic 6-14
4    'Way Down Yonder in New Orleans' ,  In all probability from 1953 General Electric show
5    'Strike Up the Band' , Mosaic 6-13
6    'That’s A-Plenty' , Mosaic 6-15
7    'My Baby Just Cares For Me' , Mosaic 6-19
8    'I’d Climb the Highest Mountain', Mosaic 6-18
9    'Smiles' , Mosaic 6-17
10    'Just Around the Corner' , Mosaic 6-12
11    'The Banjo’s Back in Town' , ??
12    'When My Baby Smiles at Me' , Mosaic 6-10
13    'The Object of My Affection' , Mosaic 6-08
14    'I Got Rhythm' , Mosaic 6-11
15    'Margie' ,  Mosaic 6-06
16    'Yes Sir! That’s My Baby' , Mosaic 6-07
17    'Oh, How I Laugh When I Think How I Cried About You' , ? General Electric
18    'Everybody Loves My Baby' , ? General Electric
19    'Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea' , ??
20    'Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue' , Firehouse Five - 1950 Chesterfield
21    'The Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me' , 1951 Chesterfield
22    'Memphis Blues'  with Ella Fitzgerald - 1950 Chesterfield
23    'Now You Has Jazz'  with Louis Armstrong Edsel TV 1957 (as stated)

I would think that this represents very good value for those who have not got (or cannot run to) the Mosaic set, but it is not of course representative of the set, as all the rest of the Mosaic material is with Buddy Cole and his Trio. For those of us with 'Mosaic' and a reasonable representation of radio material there is some duplication, but the possibility of getting a few items we have not got, or getting better quality of what we already have.

We are also told '- - -  two previously unissued selections from that daily radio show featuring Buddy Cole and His Trio.' but the tracks are not identified.

Last edited by Richard Baker (16/11/2011 12:03 am)

14/11/2011 3:59 am  #9

A few contemporary rock groups have taken to releasing albums on vinyl again.  And new equipment for playing vinyl records is still being made, including very high-end equipment. 

I might be an interesting marketing strategy for new Crosby recordings to be coming out as digital download, CD collections, and vinyl LPs.  It would seem to get Bing's name notice across a wider range of audiences.

14/11/2011 6:15 pm  #10

It's a bit frustrating now that they are talking about downloading songs.
Not everyone has a computer or don't know how to download or would rather have a CD or whatever.
It's a bit like businesses thinking that everyone has a touch phone and not a dial-up phone. Back in Australia
I have a dial up which works (if I'm connected). I kept it because it was our first phone way back in 1964 but also
because it is 'red'.
My niece stayed at my house and saw the phone and wondered what it was. When told it was a phone, she wanted
to know how it worked!
Ah! The youth of today.

20/11/2011 12:56 am  #11

I was going to order the Bing In Dixieland CD - the price is good, but the shipping is almost as much as the CD. I'll have to pass for now.

20/11/2011 10:01 am  #12

I've just gone through the ordering process to have the Dixieland CD shipped to France, and the shipping costs are more than twice the cost of the CD itself! Keen as I am to support any releases by BCE, I'm afraid I'm not prepared to pay £20 to have a single CD shipped.

I know that i-tunes is the other option, but a great deal of the pleasure of owning the other BCE releases comes from the very attractive production values of the sleeve, liner notes, etc...

20/11/2011 4:10 pm  #13

I should have said in my previous posting that my decision not to buy also has a lot to do with content. I already have the Mosaic set and almost certainly have most of the other tracks in one form or another. I would therefore only be buying in order to support - in some small way - the re-release policy of BCE. In this particular instance it's simply the outrageous shipping costs that prevent me from buying.

Having said all that, if the current release included re-mastered versions of "Bingo Viejo" or - dare I say it - "Hey Jude, Hey Bing", I would almost certainly have already clicked on the "Checkout" button.

23/11/2011 8:20 am  #14

I also noticed the high shipping costs to France! I make frequent trips back to the UK and found some of the BCE releases in HMV at just £10 each...

23/11/2011 11:04 am  #15

That's interesting, Jace.  I've checked the HMV website and they do list a number of the Collector's Choice issues, but there is little consistency about prices. I couldn't find any at £10 though!  Meantime some opportunists on Amazon UK are asking excessive prices for a few of the issues that were released through Collector's Choice, several at around the £100 level!

As to the 'Bing In Dixieland' issue, shipping does look as if it is could be a problem outside the US. As I posted here on 11 November I ordered it and the website seemed to 'offer' two means of shipping to the UK. The first was FedExpress at $72. Obviously I was not going to accept that. The second (there were no others) seemed to be something that I interpreted as regular post. I clicked on that and was amazed that the shipping and tax field showed a nil charge.  Nonetheless I received e mail confirmation. Suspecting an error of some sort I replied by email drawing attention to my concern. As yet I have had no reply but I see my account has been debited.   I will report in due course but at present I fear that my packet might get into the US postal system and come to rest somewhere because of inadequate franking.

23/11/2011 12:24 pm  #16

In HMV Manchester town centre a few weeks ago (the day before the Leeds event, in fact) I saw Southern Memoir & Sings the Great American Songbook at £10 each...

23/11/2011 1:53 pm  #17

Jace wrote:

In HMV Manchester town centre a few weeks ago (the day before the Leeds event, in fact) I saw Southern Memoir & Sings the Great American Songbook at £10 each...

Jace, we have new moneymaking scheme. Buy at Manchester HMV at £10 each and sell on Amazon at £95 as here!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Memoir-Bing-Crosby/dp/B0049ZQZ74/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322056127&sr=1-1

Millionaires by Christmas?

23/11/2011 5:26 pm  #18

Is BCE the only source for these releases or might they be made available via Amazon? I also sent an e-mail to BCE Customer Services asking for clarification of the shipping costs, but have yet to receive a reply. (It was only a couple of days ago, however...)

24/11/2011 8:58 am  #19

Good grief! Maybe Amazon got the decimal places mixed up and should read £9.50!

24/11/2011 12:58 pm  #20

Unfortunately for me, even living in the US, I feel that a $13 CD that costs $9 almost to ship by the US Post Office is a little steep for me.

28/11/2011 4:49 pm  #21

Seen on the Bing Crosby Facebook page today:

We've removed the FedEx automatic first option for shipping at our store - people were confused and not using the pull-down arrow to select 1st class US Mail - we've still got our International option for our friends outside of the USA - happy cyber Monday! Order a bundle pack for your loved one! www.bingcrosbystore.com

29/11/2011 7:47 am  #22

Thanks for that Malcolm.

Shipping costs to Europe for a single CD are still more than twice the cost of the CD itself, so - reluctantly - I won't be buying.

I've never done Facebook, but since Customer Services at BCE don't seem to respond to e-mail enquiries, it might be a better way of keeping up to date with what's going on.

I think we'd all agree that there have been some great releases from BCE over the past couple of years, and it would be a great pity if these shipping charges prevent people from continuing to support the enterprise.

29/11/2011 5:18 pm  #23

This has just appeared on Facebook
"It's arrived on iTunes! Bing Crosby's recitation of "The Night Before Christmas" http://itunes.apple.com/us/​album/​the-night-before-christmas/​id484204776 "

I've just downloaded it.

29/11/2011 5:44 pm  #24

Just listened to the tracks. Lovely quality. "Away in a Manger" is a duet with Kathryn Crosby which was used in the 1960 Christmas Sing with Bing. "Adeste Fideles" sounds like the version in the Christmas Sing in 1956 rather than the 1952 version advertised. I could be wrong!

01/12/2011 6:34 pm  #25

It's confirmed that "Adeste Fideles" is indeed the 'Christmas Sing' version and this makes this an even better purchase. Not only "The Night Before Christmas" which we didn't even know existed but also two hitherto unreleased songs from 1960 in great quality.

Board footera