15/7/2022 5:55 pm  #1

D.B. Cooper: Where Are You

So I was watching a documentary on Netflix called "DB Cooper: Where Are You" about the only airplane highjacker in US history to get away with it. It was an odd place to have a Bing sighting but in one episode they talked about the suspect's witness drawing as basically not being detailed enough and being a "Bing Crosby-look a like" composite. They mentioned that a few times in the episode.

It was funny to see Bing mentioned on a documentary that has nothing to do with music or Hollywood. Bing is throughout society!

18/7/2022 9:44 am  #2

Re: D.B. Cooper: Where Are You

Hi David I’ve got Netflix so will have to have a look at that. It’s rare nowadays but I still remember when Bings recordings were used from time to time in TV commercials. One commercial years ago was for a large department store in Australia at the time (Grace Bros) and they used Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas for their Christmas campaign. I still recall the excitement of hearing Bings voice on TV when not expecting it. I can only imagine life in the 1940s and 50s where you’d probably hear his voice on the radio every day and see advertisements for his new upcoming films. I know that we have everything at our fingertips today but it’s still doesn’t beat the thrill of hearing it “live”. 

18/7/2022 1:31 pm  #3

Re: D.B. Cooper: Where Are You

Lobosco wrote:

So I was watching a documentary on Netflix called "DB Cooper: Where Are You" about the only airplane highjacker in US history to get away with it. It was an odd place to have a Bing sighting but in one episode they talked about the suspect's witness drawing as basically not being detailed enough and being a "Bing Crosby-look a like" composite. They mentioned that a few times in the episode.

It was funny to see Bing mentioned on a documentary that has nothing to do with music or Hollywood. Bing is throughout society!

Unfortunately, David unlike yourself and Dave (dgmprod) I don't have Netflix (my friends constanlty urge) but I too love it when Bing's name randomly pops up in culture or throughout (and not just in “high”) society.  

Sticking with factual television and flight, I can remember being most tickled and delighted when it happened in 1981 within one of the late Clive James' ( Australian born but UK based writer and broadcaster) celebrated weekly Guardian newspaper TV review columns. It was during his critique of the live UK broadcast coverage of the first space shuttle (Colombia) launch - and its delay.

I remember watching this at school one lunchtime on a set the science teachers had especially rolled out for the occasion. However, although due to this delay, we ended up missing the live launch (back to lessons for us), it did a few days later, give cause to the following unexpected comment. It was with regard to the four computers, responsible for its launch: 

“ …When the big moment came nothing happened. The space shuttle just sat there like the Taj Mahal minus the ornamental lake. It turned out that three of its computers were functioning properly, but the fourth was processing tax returns for the population of Pittsburgh....
“…. What continued to happen, however, was nothing. Apparently the fourth computer had given up processing tax returns and started cataloguing old Bing Crosby 78rpm singles....
“… Finally the very integrated system as such was stood down until Sunday, while the engineers got on with the job of replugging the fourth computer, which by this time was counting all the cows in India. ...”  

For context, here's a link to the full article:https://archive.clivejames.com/books/hail.htm 

Nothing huge in the great scheme of things but just quite an unexpected journey into space appearance from Bing. I'm off now to watch the end of “The Road to Hong Kong”. I can't think why!   

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (18/7/2022 3:12 pm)

Board footera