08/11/2011 12:31 am  #1

Goodies, possibly in time for Christmas

Would you believe 'Through The Years Volume 9' in time for Christmas? That seems to be the working schedule - just days after volume 8 was officially released comes news of volume 9.
The promised tracks are:-

1    L8805          Christmas Is A-Comin' (Frank Luther)
2    L8806           The First Snowfall (Johnny Burke, Paul Francis Webster)
3    L8807           The Possibility's There  (Johnny Burke, James Van Heusen)  with Peggy Lee
4    L8808           The Next Time It Happens (Oscar Hammerstein II, Richard Rodgers)
5      L8816        Something In Common   (James Van Heusen, Johnny Burke)
6    L8817        Look To Your Heart (James Van Heusen, Sammy Cahn)
7     L8818        Suddenly Ther's A Valley  (Meyer, Jones)
8    L8819        Moments To Remember (Stillman, Allen)
9      L8820        Is Christmas Only A Tree  (Rebek)
10    L8821         The Longest Walk (Spielman, Pola)
11    L8895        John Barleycorn  (Schwarz, Anderson)
12    L8896        When You're In Love  (Schwarz, Anderson)
13    L9150        April Showers  (B G (Buddy) De Sylva, Louis Silvers)
14    L9151           Blues In The Night  (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer)
15    L9152           Prisoner Of Love  (Russ Columbo, Clarence Gaskill, Leo Robin)
16    L9153           Memories Are Made Of This (Richard Dehr, Terry Gilkyson, Frank Miller)
17    L9154           My Blue Heaven  (Walter Donaldson, George Whiting)
18    L9155           Paper Doll  (Johnny S. Black)
19    L9156           Ain't Misbehavin'  (Harry Brooks, Andy Razaf, Thomas "Fats" Waller)
20    L9157           When My Baby Smiles At Me  (Ted Lewis, Andrew B Sterling, Billy Munro)
21    L9162           A Little Kiss Each Morning  (Harry M. Woods)
22    L9163           This Love Of Mine  (Sol Parker, Henry Sanicola, Frank Sinatra)
23    L9164           Mona Lisa  (Jay Livingston, Raymond B Evans)
24    L9165           Thanks For The Memory  (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin)
25    L9584          Around The World  (Harold Adamson, Victor Young)
26    L9585           I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day  (Henry W Longfellow, Johnny Marks) 

Quite a few relative rarities in there.
That's the good news, but the as we all know, this is the penultimate release in the series.
ICC members will of course be getting their order forms with the current issue of 'Bing'.

I now see that the on-line version of my discography does not mention three or four of these titles. They have 'fallen off the end' of the Decca sequence, due to my mis-coding of the selection criteria in the final report. My apologies to those who might by some small chance have been relying on that part.

Last edited by Richard Baker (16/11/2011 6:46 pm)

10/11/2011 3:12 am  #2

Re: Goodies, possibly in time for Christmas

I am extremely happy to see "Songs I Wish I Had Sung (The First Time Around)" LP included, and I am really amazed if this is released by Christmas - I would be very, very happy! 

I guess I am still confused about what the 10th volume would include - some of the Decca tracks from 1957, and possibly the "Holiday In Europe" LP?

Zane Johnson

10/11/2011 8:35 am  #3

Vol. 10 will have the whole of the Christmas Sing LP, some 1957 Decca tracks (including "Gigi") and some alternate tracks that weren't available when the Jonzo CDs were issued.

10/11/2011 2:49 pm  #4

Thank you for the update, Malcolm.  It sounds like a very nice conclusion to the series.  Again, a huge "thank you" to everyone involved.

Zane Johnson

14/11/2011 3:40 am  #5

Very interesting news!

02/12/2011 11:51 pm  #6

Sepia have now posted details of 'Through The Years Volume 9' on their site.
http://www.sepiarecords.com/sepia1185.html

I believe that I am correct in saying that ICC members will receive their copies earlier than the stated release date.

03/12/2011 3:33 pm  #7

Yes, you are right Richard. We understand that we shall receive our bulk orders soon.

12/12/2011 12:39 pm  #8

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Yes, you are right Richard. We understand that we shall receive our bulk orders soon.

- - - -
        and shortly on their way to the happy recipients. And four Christmas titles in time for Christmas too!

15/12/2011 12:42 am  #9

It's a very worthy (but unhappily penultimate) addition to the sequence. We've now left the 'Musical Autobiography' sequence behind and are at the end of the exclusive Decca contract, which is concluded with ten tracks recorded in November 1955 with Buddy Cole and His Orchestra, eventually issued on the LP 'Rare Style' (in Britain only - I don't think I had realised that - thank you Malcolm for the information), plus 'John Barleycorn' and 'When You're In Love' from 'High Tor'. Then we move into 1956 and Decca recordings under the new non- exclusive contract - starting with 'Songs I Wish I Had Sung' of course, in it's entirety, then two tracks from a single accompanied again by Buddy Cole and His Orchestra.

All very nice to have together, all in the usual very well remastered sound and with Malcolm's usual comprehensive notes.

We now have the promise of the next and last issue covering 'A Christmas Sing Around The World' and a group of rarities from further back that were not available when the 'Chronological' and 'Through The Years' series first covered the relevant time periods. I can't wait.

The whole series is a triumph. Would that it might be possible for Bing Crosby Enterprises/HLC Properties to continue with a sequence picking up and continuing through the second half of the fifties and onwards.

Board footera