12/7/2022 3:07 pm  #1

On set of We're Not Dressing?

I can't see how to put image here. There is a photo of Bing, Carole Lombard and James Cagney. Carole looks wet and has blanket around her. Is this when joke was played on Carole Lombard during filming of movie? I didn't know James Cagney was there.

12/7/2022 3:21 pm  #2

Re: On set of We're Not Dressing?

Blonde56 wrote:

I can't see how to put image here. There is a photo of Bing, Carole Lombard and James Cagney. Carole looks wet and has blanket around her. Is this when joke was played on Carole Lombard during filming of movie? I didn't know James Cagney was there.

At one point in the film I think Bing drops Carole Lombard in the water so it might have been right after that. I liked the movie, but it is a bit dated. Not a fan of Bing slapping Carole Lombard, but that was 1934.

12/7/2022 3:25 pm  #3

12/7/2022 8:07 pm  #4

Yes, David that's the photo! Thanks!

14/7/2022 12:49 am  #5

Oh how lovely! Thank you David for an unseen photograph (by me) of three stars, all of whom I remain most fond -and both of you for the chat about "We're Not Dressing" , a film I hold with such affection from viewing on mainstream UK television as a pre-teen in the early 1980's. I think Carole Lombard was one of Bing's greatest leading ladies. Such a great firecracker of a talent but one far too quickly gathered.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (14/7/2022 1:11 am)

14/7/2022 5:43 am  #6

Ian, If you like Carole Lombard read the book" Fireball". Excellent! All about her and the deadly flight.

14/7/2022 9:42 am  #7

Thank you, Blonde56! I have never even thought to seek out a biography of Carole Lombard (I have no idea why) and therefore will do so, with your kind and hearty recommendation. I so wish she and Bing had made another film together, perhaps playing husband and wife in a Preston Sturges screwball musical comedy - but time didn't allow for that. I'm sure had she lived, her career would have continued from strength to strength. 

I could also easily imagine both a later future in television comedy - and even later as a sassy, mature Oscar winning movie support to future stars such as Robert Redford and Steve McQueen. 

Thank you so much again for your reading suggestion.

14/7/2022 10:07 am  #8

I’ve always loved the film “To be or not to be” (her final film). It’s a wonderful balance between comedy and drama and everyone is wonderful especially Carole and Jack Benny but it’s the script and direction that set it apart. If you haven’t seen it please do. Of course I love Were Not Dressing too but more so for the songs. I would have loved to have been there on the set to join in the fun with all the cast - it seems like they had a great time making it. 

14/7/2022 3:14 pm  #9

Ian, Steve Mcqueen is another favorite leading man of mine!  I heard Steve had a juke box filled with Bing records! A movie with Bing and Carole as his parents would have been cute! And Dg I like the movie you mentioned To Be or not to Be. I also like her in Bolero, Rhumba, My Man Godfrey and Now and Forever! She was suppose to be in Taxi with James Cagney but Loretta Young got the part. She should have made a movie with Cagney, I think they would have been great together!

Board footera