10/7/2022 12:34 am  #1

1932's "Lawd, You Made The Night Too Long"

I just played this record again and rediscovered it all over again. It's over 90 years old, but it is amazing. "Lawd, You Made The Night Too Long" paired up Bing Crosby, The Boswell Sisters, and Don Redman & His Orchestra. Why did I just realize today that it was Don Redman's band backing them? Anyways, they all recorded this for Brunswick on April 13, 1932...

Last edited by Lobosco (10/7/2022 12:35 am)

11/7/2022 8:34 pm  #2

Re: 1932's "Lawd, You Made The Night Too Long"

I love this recording too with Bing in great voice. The Boswell sisters were a great compliment to Bing musically - it’s a pity they didn’t record more together. I also love the medley with Life is just a bowl of cherries (especially the way Bing hits his final note)

12/7/2022 12:11 pm  #3

dgmprod wrote:

I love this recording too with Bing in great voice. The Boswell sisters were a great compliment to Bing musically - it’s a pity they didn’t record more together. I also love the medley with Life is just a bowl of cherries (especially the way Bing hits his final note)

It's a shame that Bing and the Boswell Sisters did not sing together on the record. It was a missed opportunity for Brunswick and then later Decca that they did not record together.

13/7/2022 5:33 pm  #4

I agree with David that it's a great shame Bing didn't record more with the Boswell Sisters. Although I love the stuff he recorded with the swing-orientated Andrews Sisters, I find the Boswells' style - which was more rooted in jazz -  much more exciting to listen to. As far as I know all we have of them together are the two commercial sides and that tantalising snippet of St Louis Blues from the Woodbury show of Nov. 13th 1934.
At least we have the wonderful tracks he made with Connee - many of which have always been on my 'desert-island' list of Crosby recordings.

14/7/2022 1:09 am  #5

Yes, their more natural jazz sensibility complimented Bing's style beautifully. It's always difficult to perfectly pinpoint great chemistry but this wonderful record is akin to the blending of perfectly tuned instruments, without anyone attempting to "out sing" the other. 
Thank you, David. 
Looking forward to what must surely be your overdue appearance on "Desert Island Discs", Jeremy.
So far, your invitation must have been lost in the post!

14/7/2022 3:15 pm  #6

jeremyrose wrote:

I agree with David that it's a great shame Bing didn't record more with the Boswell Sisters. Although I love the stuff he recorded with the swing-orientated Andrews Sisters, I find the Boswells' style - which was more rooted in jazz -  much more exciting to listen to. As far as I know all we have of them together are the two commercial sides and that tantalising snippet of St Louis Blues from the Woodbury show of Nov. 13th 1934.
At least we have the wonderful tracks he made with Connee - many of which have always been on my 'desert-island' list of Crosby recordings.

Overall I wish that Bing recorded more jazz related records in the 1930s and 1940s. Decca wasted an opportunity but not having Bing record with the Mills Brothers, Ella Fitzgerald, etc while they were at the same label together.

14/7/2022 10:31 pm  #7

This is going to sound like I'm complaining - which I'm not - but I think the reason for Bing moving away from his jazz influences during the Decca years can be summed up in two words - Jack Kapp.

15/7/2022 2:25 am  #8

Yes, gentleman. I'm in complete agreement with you both. The frustrations on what might have been. Obviously commercial considerations came first - and would you both agree that although completely professional in his approach, Bing also had a far more relaxed view of his recording output, unlike Sinatra who for so long, seemed conscious of an artistic legacy? I've heard Frank wished to record with Ella right up until his final "Duets" albums of 1993/4 and although too ill by then, her manager Norman Grantz never encouraged it. Mel Tormé wished to, also. I wonder if it was this same reasoning that meant Bing and Ella only jointly recorded for broadcast purposes - with Mr Kapp and Mr Grantz being the joint pair of sticks-in-the- mud

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (15/7/2022 2:28 am)

15/7/2022 11:35 am  #9

jeremyrose wrote:

This is going to sound like I'm complaining - which I'm not - but I think the reason for Bing moving away from his jazz influences during the Decca years can be summed up in two words - Jack Kapp.

I agree. I applaud Jack Kapp for getting Bing into all genres of music. However, I miss the jazz Bing Crosby in the late 1930s and 1940s.

15/7/2022 5:29 pm  #10

Archiefit wrote:

I enjoy all of Bing's different styles of music.  Though his fascination with Dixieland later does get a bit trying.  One or 2 Dixie type songs is plenty.  But  I especially like his pop songs he sang after Jack Kapp started advising.  Thank goodness for Jack Kapp, Bing recorded some unforgettable numbers thanks to Jack.  Bing's "jazzy" songs of the 30's are ones I can take or leave, more leave than take.    

For me, it depends on my mood what genre or decade of Bing's recording career I want to listen to. I do like some of Bing's late 20s and early 30s jazzy material. Of all the Bing Crosby recordings, I would say the ones he made with Buddy Cole are my least favorite. 

15/7/2022 6:15 pm  #11

Would it be too much of a push to say there was a bit of a jazz sensibility with Buddy Cole's recordings with Bing? I'm a bit stuck with this because I originally came to those after Ken Barnes had orchestrally embellished many of them in the 1970's and 1980's. It was only years later that I heard them within just their original small group setting and thought how similar they sounded to the first sides of Bing's " .. Musical Autobiography" box set. Then of course I discovered why!

Can anyone bring to mind any out and out jazz sides Bing recorded during his Kapp years? The current UK heatwave (well, that's the song I'm sighting), seems to be slowing my recall even further.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (15/7/2022 6:22 pm)

18/7/2022 8:06 am  #12

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Can anyone bring to mind any out and out jazz sides Bing recorded during his Kapp years?

The 2-CD set, "The Jazzin' Bing Crosby", with an excellent booklet essay by Stan Britt, contains nine tracks from the Jack Kapp years, most of which seem to me to have been chosen more because of the jazz credentials of Bing's collaborators - Louis Armstrong, Joe Venuti, the divine Connie Boswell, etc. - than anything inherently 'jazzy' in the tracks themselves. There are two tracks, however, which in my opinion do represent a "jazzin' " Bing Crosby - 'Someday Sweetheart', with the Georgie Stoll Orchestra from the very first Decca/Jack Kapp session on 8th August 1934 and 'Moonburn' from 13th November 1935, with an instrumental trio drawn from the Stoll band. 

Will Friedland's 1996 book, 'Jazz Singing' contains a fascinating passage comparing the relative influences of Bing and Louis Armstrong on American popular music of the late '20s and early '30s, and for a purely personal view of the significance of that first Jack Kapp session on Bing's musical development, could I humbly give a nod towards my article 8th August 1934 in issue 176 of 'Bing' magazine.

Last edited by jeremyrose (18/7/2022 8:21 am)

22/7/2022 5:38 am  #13

'Lawd,You Made The Night Too Long'-found Bing (then) very much interested in producing music.The energenic Boswell Sisters made it even more interesting!It is not known if Bing & the Boswell's (then) knew about Louis Armstrong's excellent  version recorded about a month earlier (March 13th) ? In any case ,this moody vocal sharing of Crosby  &the Boswell Sisters IS serious stuff!,A "Cry' or" Heartbreak Hotel' type of 'pop' in it's (1932) day? They should have  made more of this !A forgotten gem for sure/

Board footera