03/7/2022 8:27 pm  #1

Bing Crosby - Old Glory

Bing sang the dramatic song "Old Glory" in the movie Star Spangled Rhythm, but he never made a record of it. Such a pity. He sang it on a Los Angeles bond rally radio broadcast on June 30th, 1943. He was even backed by the orchestra of Rudy Vallee!

03/7/2022 9:21 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby - Old Glory

Thanks for posting that, David...

The entire War Bond Rally of 30th June 1943, broadcast from The Hollywood Bowl, was released on CD some years ago on the much-missed Redmond Nostalgia label, and it boasted quite a line-up! As well as Bing and the Rudy Vallee orchestra, the evening also featured Dinah Shore, Edward G Robinson, a young Kathryn Grayson, George Burns and Gracie Allen, jazz pianist Hazel Scott, Betty Hutton, Cecil B DeMille and violin virtuoso Joseph Szigeti.

Last edited by jeremyrose (03/7/2022 9:22 pm)

04/7/2022 12:22 pm  #3

jeremyrose wrote:

The entire War Bond Rally of 30th June 1943, broadcast from The Hollywood Bowl, was released on CD some years ago on the much-missed Redmond Nostalgia label, and it boasted quite a line-up! As well as Bing and the Rudy Vallee orchestra, the evening also featured Dinah Shore, Edward G Robinson, a young Kathryn Grayson, George Burns and Gracie Allen, jazz pianist Hazel Scott, Betty Hutton, Cecil B DeMille and violin virtuoso Joseph Szigeti.

I miss Redmond Nostalgia. I not only bought a lot of Bing from there but I was getting a complete Buddy Clark discography when they shut down. I'll have to see if I can find this bond rally online somewhere.

04/7/2022 4:40 pm  #4

Redmond Nostalgia was a great resource. I bought 220-odd Bing CDs from them, but also quite a few Gordon MacRae 'Railroad Hour' issues and Mario Lanza's Coca-Cola-sponsored radio show. 

14/7/2022 1:16 am  #5

jeremyrose wrote:

.. and Cecil B DeMille sang … ?
(worth the price of admission alone, I would have thought!)
My money's on a top hatted routine (with a requisite of chorus "lovelies") of, "You Oughta be in Pictures".
Then again ...

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (14/7/2022 1:32 am)

Board footera