28/11/2010 7:44 pm  #1

HOLIDAY INN.

I have just received a copy of the colourized version of HOLIDAY INN and thought members would like to know that the quality is excellwnt. The film looks as though it was actually filmed in colour! Bing's eyes are as blue as you would expect. The superb 'Be Careful it's my Heart' number with Bing's melodious singing and Fred's graceful dancing makes an even more satisfying impression in colour.A great experience to be enjoyed over and over again.

28/11/2010 8:50 pm  #2

Re: HOLIDAY INN.

I agree. The colorized version of HOLIDAY INN has converted me to colorized movies. It is a great version of the film!

29/11/2010 4:25 pm  #3

Those in the UK might like to know Holiday Inn in colour is now apparently available in Region 2 format (from 22 November).

Not before time.

30/11/2010 12:15 am  #4

I'm a convert! 
I was always been sceptical about monochrome movies being colourised for the following reasons:
     The amount of lighting needed to produce the required 'luminescence' for most scenes is far greater for
     colour.
     The lighting plot for a film in black and white has to work with greater contrasts for its best effects.

However,  techniques have now developed sufficiently for these problems to be overcome.  'Holiday Inn' should always have been in colour, and benefits hugely.  *(One problem still to be solved is that of skin tones which show little variation from actor to actor, as in a genuine colour movie.)*

Well worth buying for Christmas - I enjoy it enormously every year!

Devotee of 'the art that conceals art' which of course Bing epitomised.

01/12/2010 7:45 pm  #5

Must say that I was very pleased with the colour version of "Holiday Inn".
I'm not keen on this process. Remember seeing the Bogart/Robinson film "Key Largo" in colour and it was gaudy.

05/12/2010 5:12 pm  #6

I believe that if the colorizing is done tasteful as in HOLIDAY INN, it can be very effective. I do not think movies that depend on the b/w for the suspense element (ie-early Hitchcock movies) should be colorized, but some of the musicials deserve it!

05/12/2010 6:41 pm  #7

Lobosco wrote:

I believe that if the colorizing is done tasteful as in HOLIDAY INN, it can be very effective. I do not think movies that depend on the b/w for the suspense element (ie-early Hitchcock movies) should be colorized, but some of the musicials deserve it!

I started out being averse - even antagonistic - to what I saw as unjustified tinkering with the concepts of the Producer/Director/Cameraman/Lighting engineer all of whom had a vision of the finished article and who adjusted lighting and shadows to make maximum use of the film stock they were working with.

Like others I am now a convert and accept that the right material properly treated comes up very well indeed. I can think of quite a few musicals and comedies that would probably benefit - the Cary Grant comedies (among my favourites) for example.

However there are some where I think it would be a very retrograde step - I'm sure "The Third Man", some of the Bogart dramas and a whole host of others would lose some impact. I can't imagine the face of Orson Welles showing up in the shadowy doorway or the chases through the Viennese drains in full colour. A lot would be lost. But Bing's musicals, very certainly yes. Though I'm not sure about "The Country Girl". I wonder if that depends on monochrome textures and shadows for it's mood setting?

Perhaps when mainstream films were successful it was despite the inability to make them in colour in the first place, but there were some that made greater and deliberate use of darkness and shadow - they made a virtue out of necessity. Hands off them.

Then there were those that used both to change mood - The Wizard Of Oz - and at least one of Fred Astaire's started out with the intention but the studio couldn't afford colour for the intended colour segment. There's a case for following the producer's intentions.  "Colorize" the bits that were intended that way for Fred to sing "I Used To Be Colour Blind" but to go blindly at it colorization would be a sin!

05/12/2010 8:31 pm  #8

I agree with you Richard. There are just some movies that should not be tinkered with.

19/12/2010 8:25 pm  #9

I wrote this article recently that might be of interesting to HOLIDAY INN fans out there.

It is about how AMC (American Movie Classics) has censored HOLIDAY INN...
http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2010/12/censoring-of-holiday-inn.html

Board footera