22/5/2020 1:39 am  #1

How about movies?

I want to ask you a little question: "What's your fovourite Bing Crosby's film?"
There are a lot of them but I, peronaly, watched very few, so it will be interesting for me to hear any answer you can give. I watched "Robin and the 7 Hoods" (1964), "High Society" (1956), "Going my way" (1944), "Bells of St. Mary's"(1945), the all the "Road to..." movies (but by mistake I started with " Road to Morocco" and after watched all other chapters in chronological order), "We're not dressing"(1934), "Going Hollywood" (1933), "Here comes the waves" (1944) and "Wakiki Wedding"(1937).
Maybe you will give me an advice what wo watch next. Most of all I like "Robin and the 7 Hoods", "High Society", "Going my way", "The Road to Utopia", "The Road to Rio","...to Bali", Bond-looking "Road to Hong Kong", "We're not Dressing" and "Going Hollywood".

22/5/2020 4:12 am  #2

Re: How about movies?

Don't miss Here Comes The Groom (1951) with Jane Wyman, Franchot Tone and Alexis Smith.

23/5/2020 2:31 pm  #3

I just ended watching "Here comes the Groom" as you adviced me and it was really funny, beautiful and nice because I like the story "Pygmalion" by Bernard Show and these two things are alike, some way! Also it was really amazing when the Great Band (Dorothy, Phill, Louis and others) was singing with Bing.
Any other ideas?
It will be interesting for me to hear/to read any of them.

23/5/2020 6:48 pm  #4

A good film I like is Riding High, which I haven’t seen for donks and wish TNT would show.
Some good songs - Whiffenpoof Song, De Camptown Races, Sunshine Cake, Someplace on Anywhere Road, The Horse Told Me (song is much better in the film than on record, just like I Wish I Were Aladdin).
Coleen Grey is in it and Bing took her out a couple of times and the press started talking about them as a couple, but it was short lived.

24/5/2020 2:29 am  #5

Thank you very much for your advices. 
I'll compulsory watch  these movies.)))

01/4/2022 9:14 am  #6

Now I change the main point of the topic.
I was trying to find Bing's movie "Just an Echo" (1934) and I couldn't find it anywhere.
Can somebody tell me veither it is even possible?

If it is, can you share a link?

02/4/2022 5:53 am  #7

"Just an Echo" does not seem to be available anywhere. I've never seen it.

02/4/2022 8:02 am  #8

Ok, that's quite strange, taking the fact that other Bing's shorts are avaliable into the account, but that's all right.
May be it will appear somewhere later.
I guess, we'll find out.

Thanks for the reply, Malcolm.))

21/4/2022 7:01 pm  #9

Here is a ranking of my favorite Bing movies:

1. The Country Girl (1954)
2. High Society (1956)
3. Holiday Inn (1942)
4. Blue Skies (1946)
5. Just For You (1952)

23/4/2022 8:10 am  #10

Thanks a lot for your advice, Lobasco.
I think that your ranking is quite fair and these movies are really great.))

25/4/2022 12:03 pm  #11

Ron Field wrote:

A good film I like is Riding High, which I haven’t seen for donks and wish TNT would show.
Some good songs - Whiffenpoof Song, De Camptown Races, Sunshine Cake, Someplace on Anywhere Road, The Horse Told Me (song is much better in the film than on record, just like I Wish I Were Aladdin).
Coleen Grey is in it and Bing took her out a couple of times and the press started talking about them as a couple, but it was short lived.

Oh, that's a lovely one! My favourite song from that film is "Sunshine Cake". It's just so high spirited and homely.
Also featuring a rare, warm and humorous few minutes' cameo from Oliver Hardy of Laurel & Hardy fame.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (26/4/2022 12:01 am)

25/4/2022 12:08 pm  #12

Tom Joe Mortel wrote:

Thanks a lot for your advice, Lobasco.
I think that your ranking is quite fair and these movies are really great.))

I'll second that, Tom - although (I know, I know ), I have still yet to see "The Country Girl"!

25/4/2022 12:22 pm  #13

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

"Just an Echo" does not seem to be available anywhere. I've never seen it.

It's a strange one, this. I've just checked on the American Film Institute database for its current status but they only seem to list feature length films.

25/4/2022 12:34 pm  #14

My favourite rankings (of what I've so far seen) are:

1: High Society
2: Road to Morocco
3: Holiday Inn
4: Rhythm on the River
5: White Christmas (I know, often viewed as far from Bing's best but just a warm, sentimental favourite)

25/4/2022 1:08 pm  #15

Ian Kerstein,
It's fair for me to say that I haven't  watched "The Country Girl" till the end either, but I'll definitely complete watching it sometime.

I'd like to offer my own ranking too, but it is really hard for me to decide in what order to place the movies. There are a lot of great ones in Bing's filmography, so... I'll make it some other time when I will feel more confident about the placing of the movies I am imagining.))

25/4/2022 10:18 pm  #16

Hello Tom. Thanks for beginning another great "thread"
Yes, I also found myself taking time with this. I was mindful that your question was regarding our favourite films and not the those we judged to be the best or even the best performances Bing gave within them. "Robin and the Seven Hoods", I would also rate as a high favourite.

I find it fascinating how certain top flight international singing stars (such as Bing and Frank Sinatra) were also terrific actors and yet others of a similar calibre were as unconvincing and as "single note" as they come. I believe Bing had the best of both worlds, in so far as he was superb at beautifully projecting his own pleasant, established screen image with such natural acting. Yet character wise, he proved a number of times that he could also stretch himself considerably beyond his familiar personality. However, this sometimes (despite my current list) can play a part (no pun intended) in helping me decide which films of Bing's are my favourites for now (I can be so fickle on this particular subject). 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (26/4/2022 12:03 am)

25/4/2022 10:27 pm  #17

Archiefit wrote:

Riding High is one of my Bing favorites too (just one of them) esp. good time to watch it now in May as it's all about horse racing.    Sounds like you've watched many Bing films already, you've already seen one of my faves "Here Comes The Groom"  and aside from Riding High my other favorites are Welcome Stranger (my #1 favorite) & Sing You Sinners.

Yes! I need to see both, "Here Comes the Groom" and "Welcome Stranger". I'm really curious about them. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (25/4/2022 11:56 pm)

27/4/2022 12:40 pm  #18

I always forget about "Riding High"! I will have to watch that again soon.

Any Bing movie is worth watching but the only two Bing films that I do not like at all are "Say One For Me" (1959) and "The Road To Hong Kong" (1961) - the music was good, but the films themselves are horrible.

Board footera