10/2/2022 8:44 pm  #1

Who is your favorite leading lady that Bing starred with in the 1940s?

Who is your favorite leading lady from Bing's 1940s films?

Who is your favorite leading lady of the 1940s?

11/2/2022 4:08 pm  #2

Re: Who is your favorite leading lady that Bing starred with in the 1940s?

Mary Martin is taking the early lead.

16/2/2022 2:29 pm  #3

Mary Martin is still in the lead, but Dorothy Lamour and Marjorie Reynolds are close behind. Should I do one on his leading ladies from the 30s and 50s? Your thoughts?

17/2/2022 12:43 pm  #4

Archiefit wrote:

I chose Marjorie Reynolds because she is just so cute.  No other reason.

HAHA. So she wins the cuteness award from you! Bing actually wanted Mary Martin for Holiday Inn but she was pregnant at the time. 

I do believe Marjorie Reynolds was the prettiest of the 1940s stars.

19/2/2022 3:43 am  #5

Depends on the part being played.
That one take in the lift with Jane Wyman ‘In the cool cool cool of the evening’ is a hard one to beat.

20/2/2022 2:53 am  #6

Ron Field wrote:

That one take in the lift with Jane Wyman ‘In the cool cool cool of the evening’ is a hard one to beat.

That was a great scene but that was from 1951.

10/3/2022 2:43 pm  #7

Any other votes for this poll?

25/3/2022 7:44 pm  #8

I just had to vote for Dorothy Lamour for her wonderful subtle comedy timing, sense of fun, lovely singing voice and understated believability - no matter how whacky the situation. Bing and Bob were lucky to have such a radiantly talented woman - and despite her featured cameo, boy was she missed in "Road to Hong Kong"!

25/3/2022 7:59 pm  #9

Ian Kerstein wrote:

I just had to vote for Dorothy Lamour for her wonderful subtle comedy timing, sense of fun, lovely singing voice and understated believability - no matter how whacky the situation. Bing and Bob were lucky to have such a radiantly talented woman - and despite her featured cameo, boy was she missed in "Road to Hong Kong"!

Good choice!

25/3/2022 9:59 pm  #10

Ron Field wrote:

Yes, she is marvellous. So natural. I also enjoyed her very much in "Just for You" splendidly performing "Zing a Little Song" with Bing. I'd listened to the song's studio recording for decades before being totally captivated by the film version and routine. I was just wondering with all your decades of Crosby admiration, Ron - are there any favoured performances you're particularly fond of from any of the above ladies? 

25/3/2022 10:03 pm  #11

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Good choice!

Thanks, David. From an all round appealing and entertaining perspective, it just has to be Dottie for me. Might I enquire as to whom our esteemed webmaster voted for - or would that be one question too many? 

25/3/2022 11:07 pm  #12

Archiefit wrote:

I chose Marjorie Reynolds because she is just so cute.  No other reason.

Yes, she's lovely. Isn't she radiant and lit like a dream during "White Christmas".

27/3/2022 3:40 am  #13

Joan Bennett in ‘Mississippi’ was good and again when Bing was in jail and sang - I wish I was Alladin’ in another film (name escapes me at the moment)

27/3/2022 3:56 am  #14

Ron Field wrote:

Joan Bennett in ‘Mississippi’ was good and again when Bing was in jail and sang - I wish I was Alladin’ in another film (name escapes me at the moment)

Oh, she was so beautiful dressed in white in that film, if I remember correctly. I don't think I've seen it in over forty years but Ron, can you remember if this was the film Bing sang, "Down By the River" or was that in Dixie or another film of his from the thirties?

Board footera