19/5/2020 3:18 pm  #1

London Palladium plaque miniature.

This is one for our - ahem - more mature readers..!

Whilst archiving a set of “Bing” magazine from the 1970s recently, I came across this flyer from 1979. As you can see, the full-sized plaque was unveiled by Bob Hope on 29th March of that year - and remains on display in the foyer of The London Palladium to this day - and this miniature was subsequently offered for purchase to ICC members. Does anyone out there know if this project ever came to fruition and if so, has anyone still got one of the miniatures..?

20/5/2020 7:55 am  #2

Re: London Palladium plaque miniature.

Yes, the plaque was unveiled by Bob Hope at The London Palladium on 29th March 1979. It’s at the bottom of one of the staircases just inside the main entrance on Argyll Street. I last saw it about a year ago when I was walking past The Palladium in what seems, in these strange times, like a former life!

I just wondered whether anyone remembers acquiring one of the miniature replicas offered on the flyer...

23/3/2022 3:39 pm  #3

Archiefit wrote:

OK, found the book, it's called "One & Only Bing" it's really most pictures, I skimmed thru the book but didn't see the picture I'm thinking of.  It must be somewhere in another Bing book perhaps, but I do remember seeing that plaque as Bob Hope was holding it up looking at it.  I'll have to look again more slowly, could be I passed it by, it's a small paperback and compact.   I also have a larger hardback version of the book as I recall.   Haven't looked at these books in a long time..

I don't know if you subsequently found it, Archiefit - but if you have a copy of "The Crosby Years" by Ken Barnes, it takes up half of page thirty-two. Funny but I've also once or twice looked in one or the other of both books for a particular photograph.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (23/3/2022 6:43 pm)

23/3/2022 4:00 pm  #4

jeremyrose wrote:

Yes, the plaque was unveiled by Bob Hope at The London Palladium on 29th March 1979. It’s at the bottom of one of the staircases just inside the main entrance on Argyll Street. I last saw it about a year ago when I was walking past The Palladium in what seems, in these strange times, like a former life!

I just wondered whether anyone remembers acquiring one of the miniature replicas offered on the flyer...

Having first seen it in via the Bob Hope/Lew Grade unveiling photograph thirty years before (in Ken Barnes' book), I sought it out on a rare trip to London. It was my first (but hopefully not last) visit to the Palladium to see the 2013 official revival of "A Chorus Line". It struck me as a moving, warm, stylish and beautifully understated tribute - just as the performer we know and admire. I just wish I could still fill in that form and send away for one. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (23/3/2022 4:01 pm)

23/3/2022 8:57 pm  #5

I'm lucky enough to own one of only two plaster maquettes of the plaque made by the artist. It was part of the collection of the late Trevor Wagstaff, whence it came to me. There is also a letter to Trevor from the artist, Philip Nathan, confirming that is one of only two copies. I'm having it re-framed at the moment, but once I get it back it will take pride of place on my wall!

Board footera