13/3/2022 6:51 pm  #26

Re: Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings

I covered this Bregman LP in my book "Just Remember This".I note Bing's lack of committment, still giving the nod to 5 titles.I also note ;he literally runs out of gas" (page 326). / There is a similar problem with his (then) contemporary " Songs I Wishe I Had Sung   LP , in which I picked only 2 titles worth it.I also noted the slightly later "Bing With A Beat" LP. I consider Bob Scobey's MUCH better, backing as Bing's only SOLO album performance that found him committed to EVERY title. Even when Bing slides a bit on "Mack The Knife", Scobey's jazz band saves it. / Bing  IS excellent on  the Hight Society  LP , but this is with other artists,  No, Bing was hardly an LP  ( 12 inch) entity , except for  his  very good LP with Rosemary Clooney  & Billy May & his fab 1962 Christmas LP for Warner Brothers. You can list his  Decca LP "Merry Christmas " , as still popular, noting the 12 inch product started in the later 1950s-all reissues-mostly 1940s singles..THIS ONE also does well over the hump of 2000-even NOW!  Later Christmas fodder was good, yet not on major labels. Ken Barnes did some good things with the (even)  older man.Let's call it  all nice.With no disrespect, for this kind of pop (LP) concept,Nat King Cole,Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin,- were more involved,committed. 

15/3/2022 2:37 am  #27

Colin, until your wise words, I had stupidly never even considered Bing's lack of quality album commitment being down to his initial near thirty years of recording being inevitably outside of the format. Your response encouraged me to once again and for the second time in as many days,  slap on my CD stereo edition of "Bing with a Beat". It really does make me so wish he'd done more of this sort of thing.

I take heart, though from the slightly later "Bing and Satchmo" album where two of the greatest simpatico musical minds and voices so foot-tappingly combine. Speaking of which, who could disagree with you over "Crosby and Clooney, Fancy Meeting you Here"? It's truly majestic. Two voices married as one with again, the golden brassy and increased splendour of Billy May, sealing concept album perfection. My long term favourite.

Your reported comments on the  " … 'Bregman Swings" album had informed me of your book - and then your endorsement of Bing's fabulous 1962, "I Wish you a Merry Christmas" album, made me further curious. A brief search then soon saw me placing a most anticipated order for "Just Remember This". Does Amazon UK really have this correctly listed at 983 pages? I may never be heard from again. I know -  just as Irving Berlin wrote …  "As Thousands Cheer"!

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (15/3/2022 3:01 pm)

15/3/2022 8:56 am  #28

This album has always divided opinion amongst Crosbyphiles. I've always thought that part of the problem lies in the fact that Bregman produced the album as well as providing the orchestral arrangements, so there was no guiding (restraining?!) hand as there was with Bregman's work on the two 'Songbook' albums he arranged for Ella Fitzgerald, which were produced by Norman Granz.

I've always loved the album and I think it's great that Bing was exploring new styles and approaches after the end of his exclusive Decca contract. A matter of weeks separates BSWBS from Songs I Wish I Had Sung... and they couldn't be more different! (I completely agree with Colin, though, that Bing With a Beat is by far Bing's most successful foray into the LP format from around this time.)

Ken Barnes was pretty dismissive of Buddy Bregman's abilities as an arranger/accompanist, but he did concede that, "... it was refreshing at the time to hear Crosby with a modern-sounding orchestra and while this album is no match for Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers classic LP, it was a step - albeit a hesitant one - in the right direction".

15/3/2022 6:39 pm  #29

Great talk about Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings. I think it's a great album. Buddy Bregman always was more loud of a orchestra, kind of like Billy May. Bregman was definitely an improvement over the slow and bland Buddy Cole that backed Bing for most of the mid 1950s. 

The songs were great, and Bing was in great voice. I wish Bing had made more concept albums. I wish he would have signed with Capitol after Decca. He could have been the next Sinatra. LOL

But I guess we can ponder "what should have been" forever, but I am so glad with what Bing left us in musical memories.

21/3/2022 5:28 am  #30

Lobosco wrote:

Great talk about Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings. I think it's a great album. Buddy Bregman always was more loud of a orchestra, kind of like Billy May. Bregman was definitely an improvement over the slow and bland Buddy Cole that backed Bing for most of the mid 1950s. 

The songs were great, and Bing was in great voice. I wish Bing had made more concept albums. I wish he would have signed with Capitol after Decca. He could have been the next Sinatra. LOL

But I guess we can ponder "what should have been" forever, but I am so glad with what Bing left us in musical memories.

Yes, David. Bing at Capitol would have been almost too good to be true. Just the one later reunion there with Rosie on "That Traveling Two-Beat".  Ironically, wasn't he briefly signed to Sinatra's later, own Reprise label. Other than his appearances there on the quartet of Sinatra's Reprise Musical Repertory Theatre  albums (also featuring Frank, Dino, Sammy, Rosie and plenty of others), the soundtrack album of Robin and the Seven Hoods, and his Return to Paradise Island  album, that seemed to have been it. Although he did record his glorious "I Wish you a Merry Christmas" album, along with a couple of others around that time for the soon to be Reprise affiliated Warners label.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/4/2022 10:59 pm)

Board footera