17/4/2014 3:43 pm  #1

Banned by the BBC

In "Bing" Magazine #166 shortly to arrive in the postboxes of ICC members, in "Keeping Track" I make mention of Bing's dominance of the (recreated) British hit parade during the 1940s.

One song that it seems had the cards stacked against it was "I'll Be Home For Christmas" because, according to a report on the website "Mental Floss", it was banned by the BBC.

Whatever might have caused such a ban? Some rude lyrics? References to drugs or worse?
Encoded messages for the enemy possibly?  What's offensive?  A seasonal song with a promise of a return home. Sentimental - yes - lyrical and musical - undoubtedly. Where's the rude stuff?

Those who wish to seek an explanation and do not already know the answer will find it here, under item number 6, headed "Sappy Lyrics". 
http://mentalfloss.com/article/50178/11-reasons-bbc-has-banned-hit-songs

I leave it to others to decide on the meaning of "Sappy Lyrics".

I'll be home for Christmas
You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the lovelight gleams
If only in my dreams

You can plan on me
And presents on the tree

If only in my dreams

17/4/2014 5:17 pm  #2

Re: Banned by the BBC

Nice photo of Bing.
Another song banned by the BBC was "In My Merry Oldsmobile".
Don't know if that ban has been lifted or not but GM don't make them anymore.
Another song mentioning a car was the Nash Rambler which kept on trying to keep up with another car and the driver calls out "how do I get this out of first gear". A group sang the song.
Amazing to think what was banned when you hear some of the stuff they call music these days.

17/4/2014 5:30 pm  #3

Some of the words for the Nash Rambler were - beep, beep, beep, beep, my car went beep beep beep. Think they wanted to get out of 2nd.  and not 1st. as I said. May have been sung by the 4 Kingsmen or 4 Aces.

17/4/2014 6:05 pm  #4

I think "In My Merry Odsmobile" was banned because it was deemed to be advertising - a thing never contemplated by the BBC. 

The Little Nash Rambler song was Beep Beep (Little Nash Rambler)

Beep beep (beep beep),
Beep beep (beep beep),
His horn went beep beep beep (beep beep).

While riding in my Cadillac, what to my surprise,
A little Nash Rambler was following me, about one-third my size.
The guy must have wanted to pass me out
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep).
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn.

cho:

I pushed my foot down to the floor to give the guy the shake,
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind, he still had on his brake.
He must have thought his car had more guts,
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep).

cho:

My car went in to passing gear and we took off with gust,
And soon we were doing ninety, must have left him in the dust.
When I peeked in the mirror of my car, I couldn't believe my eyes.
The little Nash Rambler was right behind, you'd think that guy could fly.

cho:

Now we're doing a hundred and ten, it certainly was a race,
For a Rambler to pass a Caddy would be a big disgrace.
The guy must have wanted to pass me out as he kept on tooting his horn.

cho:

Now we're doing a hundred and twenty, as fast as I could go.
The Rambler pulled alongside of me as if we were going slow.
The fellow rolled his window down and yelled for me to hear:
"Hey, buddy, how can I get this car out of second gear?"

I have an idea there was something similar about a mini car, no mention of the Nash Rambler. Or maybe the same song with amended lyrics. But neither sung by Bing.

17/4/2014 10:14 pm  #5

Thanks Richard. Yeah, the BBC did regard 'Merry Oldsmobile' as advertising - silly coots.
There was also a song that mentioned 'Ford V8'.  You'll never  get to heaven in a Ford V8. Wonder if that was banned too.

29/4/2014 11:01 am  #6

Didn't Bing 'ride the range in a Ford V8' in 'I'm an old cowhand'? The Aussie Decca with that song and 'I can't escape from you' was released in 1936 and remained in the catalogue until 1948 and as far as I know was not subject to a broadcasting ban so Ford got some persisitent advertising 'Down Under' from that disc.

10/3/2022 2:44 am  #7

Richard Baker wrote:

In "Bing" Magazine #166 shortly to arrive in the postboxes of ICC members, in "Keeping Track" I make mention of Bing's dominance of the (recreated) British hit parade during the 1940s.

One song that it seems had the cards stacked against it was "I'll Be Home For Christmas" because, according to a report on the website "Mental Floss", it was banned by the BBC.

Whatever might have caused such a ban? Some rude lyrics? References to drugs or worse?
Encoded messages for the enemy possibly?  What's offensive?  A seasonal song with a promise of a return home. Sentimental - yes - lyrical and musical - undoubtedly. Where's the rude stuff?

Those who wish to seek an explanation and do not already know the answer will find it here, under item number 6, headed "Sappy Lyrics". 
http://mentalfloss.com/article/50178/11-reasons-bbc-has-banned-hit-songs

I leave it to others to decide on the meaning of "Sappy Lyrics".

You can plan on me
And presents on the tree

If only in my dreams

You can plan on me
And presents on the tree

If only in my dreams

Richard, the only thing I can think of is the possible similar thinking of a later reported view (by the lady herself) of some at the BBC who for a time, questioned the morale boosting effectiveness of Vera Lynn's (of all people!) programme  "Sincerely Yours". Some there thought this warm, wartime "fireside" programme far too maudlin and sentimental for those trying times. In the end, the public prevailed and the programme continued. Unlike Bing's song. Perhaps Malcolm can be more definitive on this?  

12/3/2022 6:36 am  #8

I am not sure that Bing's SLEIGH RIDE (1952) got banned by the BBC, but I do know that many (US) radio stations ( at that time) banned it because of it's reference to "Currier And Ives"-corporate interests of the  card & postcard company./ Maybe that's why it did not appear on the (later) popular 12 inch LP  issues of 'Merry Christmas; & 'That Christmas Feeling'- ? It's a a bit of fine singing  & one of the first popular vocals of the ditty./

Last edited by Colin Bratkovich (12/3/2022 6:41 am)

12/3/2022 5:44 pm  #9

Colin Bratkovich wrote:

I am not sure that Bing's SLEIGH RIDE (1952) got banned by the BBC, but I do know that many (US) radio stations ( at that time) banned it because of it's reference to "Currier And Ives"-corporate interests of the  card & postcard company./ Maybe that's why it did not appear on the (later) popular 12 inch LP  issues of 'Merry Christmas; & 'That Christmas Feeling'- ? It's a a bit of fine singing  & one of the first popular vocals of the ditty./

Hello Colin. 

Thank you so much for responding but I apologise. I should have made clear my comments related to Richard's words regarding, "I'll Be Home for Christmas". Although your post will now ensure I am now going to seek out Bing's early recording of Sleighride. It's so interesting, though to hear of commercial/advertisement considerations having to have been weighed over certain lyrics. I must confess, I'm a huge lover of Bing's alternative swinging and sometimes downright funky 1977 version and arrangement of "Sleighride" from his "Seasons" album.

I remember on my first playing, its contemporary arrangement by Pete Moore, more than annoying a little of the seasonal goodwill out of my devoted mother - as I "demurred" from turning the volume down. So there we are, Bing perhaps untypically providing some teenage rebelling noise during Christmas, 1982. I hasten to add, though that at its conclusion - she didn't order it banned. Thanks, Mum! (although despite forty years of trying, both she and my lovely father still to this day- and despite both sets of my grandparents having enjoyed him, largely and unfathomably remain unmoved by the talents and charms of our man. No accounting for taste!

* Oooh, I just managed to prevent myself from disrespectfully adding at the very end, " … or lack of it!"
   See how loyal I am?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (12/3/2022 5:51 pm)

Board footera