05/12/2010 9:21 pm  #1

Favorite Bing Crosby Christmas Songs

Well it looks like the Christmas season is here...well it was here in October I think from the stores adverstised. Anyways, what are your favorite Bing Crosby songs? Here are my top five in order of favorites...

1. WHITE CHRISTMAS (1947 VERSION)
2. YOU'RE ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
3. I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS
4. THE SECRET OF CHRISTMAS
5. MELE KALIKIMAKA (with the Andrew Sisters)

Don't be a scrooge...what are your favorites?

01/12/2020 4:45 am  #2

Re: Favorite Bing Crosby Christmas Songs

I recently saw this in a search for a Christmas thread although I am really bringing this thread back from the dead. Mine would have to be;

1. Do You Hear What I Hear?
2. White Christmas (1942 B-take, specifically the Jonzo remaster)
3. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
4. I'll Be Home For Christmas
5. O Holy Night
6. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
7. Silent Night (1942)
8. Sleigh Ride (1951?)
9. That Christmas Feeling
10. The Christmas Song (LSO redub)

Honorable mentions; It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, Let It Snow (1962), I Wish You A Merry Christmas, A Time To Be Jolly, I Sing Noel, and Ave Maria.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

01/12/2020 2:33 pm  #3

I have tended to the view that it's like picking a favourite child / grandchild / close relative.
Your favourite is the one you are with at the moment, or to which you happen to be listening..

And why would you want to offend any of them by declaring favouritism?

01/12/2020 9:07 pm  #4

As you say, Richard, they’re all good and enjoyable and depending on your mood at the time.
There are the religious ones and the jolly ones and my favourite- non religious- is The Secret of Christmas- with words of meaning.

13/12/2020 3:11 am  #5

It's difficult to separate the song from the singer but I'd say:
1. White Christmas
2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
3. Adeste Fideles
4. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
5. Silent Night

04/3/2022 2:44 pm  #6

Yes, this is a toughie but here goes (please feel free anyone to agree, disagree or if seriously outraged, just hurl non-valued 78's at me).
1:  WINTER WONDERLAND
2:  WHAT CHILD IS THIS/THE HOLLY AND THE IVY (Medley)
3:  LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (solo version)
4:  JINGLE BELLS (with the Andrews Sisters - either the "straight" version or the infamously hilarious outtake)
5:  OH HOLY NIGHT
6:  WE WISH YOU THE MERRIEST (with Frank and Dean - is this allowed?)
7:  FROSTY THE SNOWMAN
8:  DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?
9:  SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN (with the Andrews Sisters)
10. SLEIGH RIDE (from "Seasons")

Just to be clear, I LOVE "White Christmas" but may I (just for my case only) plead in mitigation, a little over familiarity? Also at risk of those now increasingly likely hurled 78's in my direction, I also thought the '82 chart single success of the Bing/Bowie "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy" had to be the most mismatched, cross generational vocal duet disaster ever - Christmas or no Christmas! Until that is, just over ten years later and hurtling towards Christmas '93, when I first heard the Frankie Sinatra and Bono car-crash clash "duetting" horror of "I've Got You Under My Skin". At least this has now enabled me to hear the former with a certain amount of improved tolerance. Peace on Earth, indeed. Premature Christmas wishes to all.  

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (04/3/2022 3:14 pm)

04/3/2022 2:49 pm  #7

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Yes, this is a toughie but here goes (please feel free anyone to agree, disagree or if seriously outraged, just hurl non-valued 78's at me).
4:  JINGLE BELLS (with the Andrews Sisters - "straight" version or the infamously hilarious outtake)

Just to be clear, I LOVE "White Christmas" but may I (just for my case only) plead in mitigation, a little over familiarity? Also at risk of those now increasingly likely hurled 78's in my direction, I also thought the Bing/Bowie "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy" had to be the most mismatched, cross generational duet disaster ever - Christmas or no Christmas! Until that is, just over ten years later and hurtling towards Christmas '93, when I first heard the Frankie Sinatra and Bono car crash clash "duetting", horror of "I've Got You Under My Skin". At least this has now enabled me to hear the former with just a tiny amount of improved tolerance. Peace on Earth, indeed. Premature Christmas wishes to all.  

All great choices in Christmas recordings. You have good taste!

04/3/2022 3:09 pm  #8

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

4:  JINGLE BELLS (with the Andrews Sisters - "straight" version or the infamously hilarious outtake)

Just to be clear, I LOVE "White Christmas" but may I (just for my case only) plead in mitigation, a little over familiarity? Also at risk of those now increasingly likely hurled 78's in my direction, I also thought the Bing/Bowie "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy" had to be the most mismatched, cross generational duet disaster ever - Christmas or no Christmas! Until that is, just over ten years later and hurtling towards Christmas '93, when I first heard the Frankie Sinatra and Bono car crash clash "duetting", horror of "I've Got You Under My Skin". At least this has now enabled me to hear the former with just a tiny amount of improved tolerance. Peace on Earth, indeed. Premature Christmas wishes to all.  

All great choices in Christmas recordings. You have good taste!

Thank you, kind sir. I am also very fond of all your choices. I so wanted to include your "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", too but I had to be srtict with myself. There are just SO many goodies, aren't there? 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (04/3/2022 6:42 pm)

04/3/2022 3:17 pm  #9

Richard Baker wrote:

I have tended to the view that it's like picking a favourite child / grandchild / close relative.
Your favourite is the one you are with at the moment, or to which you happen to be listening..

And why would you want to offend any of them by declaring favouritism?

Good point, Mr Baker - but I can't resist a Santa list!

Board footera