19/10/2021 4:02 pm  #1

Favorite Male Crooners - Besides Bing

I figured I would utilize the poll option which is seldom used. Please pic your favorite male crooner - besides Bing. There are no wrong choices! I am interested in everyone's pick! Make sure you answer the poll and not just write down your pick! ( If your choice is not on the list, pick "other" and write in your vote)

If we get enough interest maybe we'll do an elimination poll with the results...

Last edited by Lobosco (19/10/2021 4:03 pm)

Who is your favorite male crooner - next to Bing?

25/10/2021 3:39 am  #2

Re: Favorite Male Crooners - Besides Bing

Some songs were sung better by a singer than others or I preferred a song by a singer.
There are some songs byDick Haymes that I prefer, or Tony Martin pumped out a couple that I like etc.
Some songs just suited one singer over another.

25/10/2021 12:40 pm  #3

I miss Perry Como in this list - although I understand of course you cannot list everyone.

Last edited by Lobosco (25/10/2021 1:21 pm)

25/10/2021 1:21 pm  #4

frans wrote:

I miss Perry Como in this list - although I understand of course you cannot list everyone.

I noticed I forgot him. But the the poll would not let me edit it. Poor Perry - definitely should be on that list!

24/2/2022 10:23 pm  #5

I've just voted for Frank Sinatra - even though the superb choices initially gave me pause when also confronted by the likes of Dick Haymes, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett, Matt Monro and Dean Martin. Other than Buddy Clark (of whom I am not at all familiar), I admire every single vocalist listed on there and yes, I'll also put in a special mention for the splendid Mr Como. Frank won the day, though for his peerless interpretative skills and the immediate attention he automatically commands (at least from me), the moment he begins to sing.   

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (24/2/2022 10:27 pm)

02/3/2022 1:32 pm  #6

Buddy Clark was a great singer, and he had a lot of hits in the 1940s. He died tragically in an air plane crash on October 1, 1949.

Here is a radio remote where Buddy sings a Bing song and talks about him...

04/3/2022 5:49 am  #7

I've just voted for Frank Sinatra but just above Perry Como and Dean Martin. Thanks for the Buddy Clark song. He had many hits in Australia from 1947 to 1950, including several which were released after his death.

04/3/2022 2:59 pm  #8

Lobosco wrote:

Buddy Clark was a great singer, and he had a lot of hits in the 1940s. He died tragically in an air plane crash on October 1, 1949.

Here is a radio remote where Buddy sings a Bing song and talks about him...

Very pleasant and nice to hear another singer from that era for the first time. I would not presume to compare him with Bing but my immediate reaction was the warmth of his delivery.  

28/3/2022 5:57 am  #9

Al Bowlly wasn't on the list. He wasn't one of my favourites but I like many of his recordings. Last week I heard a program from a Sydney community radio station which include Bowlly singing 'Only Forever' with Jimmy Messene's orch. on a 1940 radio program. I enjoyed especially one line 'Direct from Crosby we give it to you', just another example of references to Bing in popular songs.

29/3/2022 4:54 pm  #10

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Al Bowlly wasn't on the list. He wasn't one of my favourites but I like many of his recordings. Last week I heard a program from a Sydney community radio station which include Bowlly singing 'Only Forever' with Jimmy Messene's orch. on a 1940 radio program. I enjoyed especially one line 'Direct from Crosby we give it to you', just another example of references to Bing in popular songs.

For a long time Al Bowlly was one of my favorites. I haven't been listening to him as much lately. I have dozens of CDs with his singing on it.

29/3/2022 5:22 pm  #11

Lobosco wrote:

Graham Pascoe wrote:

For a long time Al Bowlly was one of my favorites. I haven't been listening to him as much lately. I have dozens of CDs with his singing on it.

I must confess that alongside Matt Monro, Al Bowlly is the male British popular singer whom I most admire. His natural warmth and emotion, along with what I hear to be such a soulfully enigmatic, haunting quality immediately draws my attention to both his voice and the lyrics. I fully appreciate he isn't to everyone's taste with some even having described his sound to me as both mawkish and depressing. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (30/3/2022 1:05 am)

Board footera