19/1/2022 7:50 pm  #1

Dixie Lee's and Bing's Renditions of "I Apologize" (1931)

I recently had a video clip digitized from a disc of the 1931 short film, Darn Tootin'. In the middle of the short is about a 2 1/2-minute scene of Dixie Lee Crosby signing "I Apologize."  I came across this clip thanks to Dr. A. Jackson and Bryan Kendall's "Legendary Saxophonist Collection" by Keepe Publishing House, who gave me permission to share.  A friend of mine pointed out that it almost sounds like she is maybe playfully poking fun at Bing's rendition with her own, or at the very least trying to imitate him.  Here are both versions...enjoy and let me know what you think!

Dixie Lee Crosby - "I Apologize" (1931, Darn Tootin'):

Bing Crosby - "I Apologize" (1931):

23/1/2022 3:02 pm  #2

Re: Dixie Lee's and Bing's Renditions of "I Apologize" (1931)

This is an amazing find. Thank you for sharing. I wish Dixie would have made more records!

23/1/2022 7:13 pm  #3

The young Dixie Lee found herself in entertainment for a good reason, she HAD to be good !She had not needed Bing Crosby before she hooked up with him./  By 1931, her clip of her singing ("I Apologize") is a playful parody of the Crosby version. By this time, she HAD known him, well enough./ This is a nice clip of Dixie Lee, I had NOT ever seen this one before./Excellent !  /

24/1/2022 12:39 am  #4

Thanks for that interesting clip. I reckon that, if Dixie wished to poke fun at Bing's version she would have added  'boo boo boo', as Bing did, and finished with a more strident plea, as Bing did, rather than almost swinging' If I made you blue'. One the other hand, perhaps she decided on a more subtle parody.

25/1/2022 9:09 pm  #5

Thanks for posting this, that's really cool to see.

Board footera