25/10/2021 6:45 pm  #1

NEW CD: BING CROSBY - GUEST STAR TIME

Sepia, as always, is issuing another great CD of Bing Crosby radio material...

https://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2021/10/new-cd-release-bing-crosby-guest-star.html

More info will be in the next issue of Bing from the ICC...

Tracks info is:

Disc 1:

On Treasure Island
I’m Hummin’, I’m Whistlin’, I’m Singin’
Love in Bloom
Straight from the Shoulder
This Can’t Be Love
I Have Eyes
Don’t Let That Moon Get Away
I’ve Got a Pocketful of Dreams
Small Fry
Frenesi
My Melancholy Baby
The Birth of the Blues
My Old Kentucky Home
Winter Wonderland
Be Careful, It’s My Heart
Moonlight Becomes You
As Time Goes By
Old Glory
It Ain’t Necessarily So
You’ll Never Know
Memphis Blues
Basin Street Blues / Shine / The Birth of the Blues
Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
If You Please
She’s from Missouri
Sunday, Monday or Always
Dixie
Pennies from Heaven
I’ll Get By
Easter Parade
With a Song in My Heart
Long Ago (and Far Away)
Amor

Disc 2:

Swinging on a Star
Poinciana
San Fernando Valley
Parody Medley
Going My Way
Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral
You’re a Grand Old Flag
De Camptown Races
Home on the Range
When You Were Sweet Sixteen / The Band Played On
God Bless America
You Belong to My Heart
Red River Valley
Haunted Heart
The Bells of St. Mary’s
Buttons and Bows
A Little Bird Told Me
Road to Morocco
Friendly Mountains
Get Yourself a Phonograph
I Kiss Your Hand, Madame
The Kiss in Your Eyes
O Sanctissima
Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider
St. Louis Blues
Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie
The Waiter and the Porter and the Upstairs Maid
America the Beautiful
Sam’s Song
Anytime
To See You Is to Love You
Way Back Home

07/12/2021 5:38 pm  #2

Re: NEW CD: BING CROSBY - GUEST STAR TIME

If anyone has hesitated to get this latest Sepia CD, I think you should buy it. It's a wonderful CD issue and some real gems on here. I recommend it!

09/12/2021 1:41 am  #3

As Bing sings - At MyTime of Life - (87) who do I leave all my CD’s etc to? My brother certainly isn’t interested and my nephews and nieces aren’t or their children. A visit to the local Council library is on the agenda.

09/12/2021 9:51 pm  #4

Ron Field wrote:

As Bing sings - At MyTime of Life - (87) who do I leave all my CD’s etc to? My brother certainly isn’t interested and my nephews and nieces aren’t or their children. A visit to the local Council library is on the agenda.

I have my collection going to fellow collectors. I checked into libraries and sometimes they are forgotten there. 

There are young collectors coming up that are starting from the beginning of collecting.

17/2/2022 12:45 pm  #5

Archiefit wrote:

I suppose it was thanks to old collectors of Bing who must have died that I was able to find so many Bing albums in used record stores in the '70's and '80s.  It must have been the relatives that sold the records to used record stores, I'm sure those original Bing fans must have been turning over in their graves if they had known their precious collections were given away.  It'll be the same story with me when I drift off into that big Philco Radio Time in the sky as all my "kin folk" don't understand my being a fan of Bing either.   Well, I suppose if I have to go one day 100 years from now it's better that future Bing fans get them than if they were simply tossed into the trash!   Now then I'd really be spinning in my grave.

You can always put me in your will. I take record donations!

My wife says before I am ready to die, to put stickers on my records and CDs that are worth money for when she sells them. Just to be mean, I may put them on the wrong LPs! HAHA

10/4/2022 4:41 am  #6

Archiefit wrote:

I suppose it was thanks to old collectors of Bing who must have died that I was able to find so many Bing albums in used record stores in the '70's and '80s.  It must have been the relatives that sold the records to used record stores, I'm sure those original Bing fans must have been turning over in their graves if they had known their precious collections were given away.  It'll be the same story with me when I drift off into that big Philco Radio Time in the sky as all my "kin folk" don't understand my being a fan of Bing either.   Well, I suppose if I have to go one day 100 years from now it's better that future Bing fans get them than if they were simply tossed into the trash!   Now then I'd really be spinning in my grave.

I don't know whether this has also been anyone else's experience but in my case, it was the 1980's when, as with Archiefit, I was buying (and in my case "buying in" during my time when working at a couple of record shops) quite a lot of Bing on both newly released LP compilations and second hand LP albums, that I never ceased to be amazed at the often outstanding,  pristine physical quality of the latter. It would as part of my job to sort through all sorts of different collections.

The contrast between the condition of both the cover sleeves and discs (choose almost any eighties pop solo singer or band album) and Bing's would almost invariably be far, far superior, having so obviously been treated in the long term with far more care. Many of these would appear not that far removed from having just plopped off their original production/pressing lines. Original pressings of  "A Couple of Song and Dance Men" "Bing 'n Basie" and "A Southern Memoir"  spring immediately to mind.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (10/4/2022 4:45 am)

13/5/2022 12:03 am  #7

Yes, I know the feeling. I'm finding at least a little restraint can come with age. Space can also eventually become something which has to be considered (although quite when that will be, goodness only knows).

My late, beloved and dear paternal grandfather and I shared an enthusiasm for most things Bing - but he drew the line at Pete Moore's later arrangements (" … that band!!") which I love. I remember him once telling me thirty-five years ago, quite seriously, albeit affectionately … that he thought I'd now, "got enough records". Oh grandad, if only you could see it all, today!

Years ago, I once heard UK broadcaster Danny Baker in conversation and responded to a radio guest (who'd also been told the same thing) by saying, "How on earth can anyone have enough books and records???"

Amen to that. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (13/5/2022 12:14 am)

13/5/2022 1:08 am  #8

This is all very true. So much of this I can relate to. I'm fortunate in having quite a lot of room in the house for these things but yes, with age I do now pause before purchasing and consider a little more, first. What I will say is that other than two or three single item exceptions, I do not consciously "collect". I have ended up with a collection over the years but I view this as different for having acquired things for the sake of it.

Twenty years ago, a then twenty-five year old work colleague of my better half's was staying with us for a few months, as he was at rather a crossroads in his life. He took quite an interest in my collection and actually (very kindly) created a catalogue database for my hundreds of VHS tapes (the hundreds of home recorded ones - now mostly disposed of - with more soon to be shed).

Old Bing was a bit too much of a vintage stretch for him but he was curious over my Sinatra record collection and was most puzzled as to why I had nothing of Frank's recordings pre-1953 (I do how have an expanded "ten inch" reissue on CD from 1950) . I explained this period didn't interest me enough to warrant owning any of it. He answered but surely to "complete" the collection, they would be worth owning, "just to have". He remained unconvinced. 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (24/5/2022 10:31 am)

13/5/2022 12:02 pm  #9

Archiefit wrote:

You may have meant that you were unconvinced (of his reason to own all of Sinatra "just to have").   Like you I don't have any pre-Capitol Frankie other than a Columbia Christmas album (not a CD)  as I'm not interested either.   I can't say the same for early Bing for I do have it but unfortunately it seems it was "just to have" as I almost never listen.  Bought it when I was younger, today I doubt I'd do the same.

I have room at my house to gather anyone's collection that they want to will for me. HAHA! I've cut back on my purchases lately, but by cutting down does not mean I stopped buying. I have really cut down on buying 78s and LPs. 

Like you both, I prefer the Sinatra from the 1950s on. I do have some Columbia sets that I got at gifts but I rarely ever play them. 

17/5/2022 10:55 pm  #10

"I, Ian Kerstein being of admittedly questionable sound mind and judgement hereby on death, donate my entire collection of books, LPs, CDs, DVDs, VHS and tape cassettes to Mr David Lobosco of Pennsylvania, USA. However, you are all instructed to turn to page four of this document, as those present are requested to note the affixed legally binding clause obliging the beneficiary, despite his above protestations of plentiful storage capacity, to accept the deceased's entire and endless accompanying and unidentified non-Bing articles (all formats as per listed above), without the benefit of any considerations directed towards Mr Lobosco's dwelling space, sanity, future marital status and general well being."

… yes, Francis Albert's mature swinging and ballad-plumbed emotional depths don't quite fully emerge until 1953, right gang?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (19/5/2022 10:39 pm)

20/5/2022 12:20 am  #11

Archiefit wrote:

You may have meant that you were unconvinced (of his reason to own all of Sinatra "just to have").   Like you I don't have any pre-Capitol Frankie other than a Columbia Christmas album (not a CD)  as I'm not interested either.   I can't say the same for early Bing for I do have it but unfortunately it seems it was "just to have" as I almost never listen.  Bought it when I was younger, today I doubt I'd do the same.

You may well be right, Archiefit but what I was clumsily trying to say was that after our little chat about this, our house guest still remained unconvinced that I was doing the right thing by not just owning all of Frank's earlier recordings, even though they would have remained largely unplayed. I think this was due to him being impressed that I had most of Sinatra's released studio recordings from 1953 to 1994 … plus quite a number of live concerts.

I realise this is increasingly wavering ever more “off topic” (I'm hoping to at least partially redeem myself at the end of this, though) - but with regard to these concerts, I have two very long term friends (a married couple) who affectionately and lovingly tease me (along now with their teenage twin boys) over how many versions of Frank singing the same song do I need?

I laughingly try to explain (and once attempted to demonstrate by playing) the merits and differences of each performance, their interpretation and Sinatra's attitude and mood within each concert. However and inevitably, all I ended up doing was sounding increasingly mad and obsessional the longer I tried to explain and the more we all just laughed.

The husband also loves to make deliberately provocative statements about (his perceived) Frank's (and Bing's) lack of relevance, now. The biggest laugh and satisfaction I ever received with all of this, was when his wife once very quietly telephoned me for advice as to which Sinatra album it should be, as he was now showing keen interest in one for Christmas!!!!

That was almost twenty years ago. Maybe in another decade, she'll quietly delegate herself once again to consult with me over a seasonal collection by the Christmas Crosby himself? Hopes for Bing always spring eternal. I have the perfect album in mind … 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (20/5/2022 12:21 am)

21/5/2022 2:39 am  #12

Archiefit wrote:

Well, I don't know.  Those sound like pretty jerky "friends" to me.  When someone is serious about a passion a friend shouldn't make fun of it.  If that happens to me I dismiss their comments and don't consider them a friend.  They're free to like what they want and so am I.  You don't need to try to justify yourself to anyone.  Don't bother, they're not worth it.  You'll probably disagree, but I guess I just don't value friendship as much as you. 

Thanks for you faithfully fighting my corner, Archiefit - but they really are genuine, deeply devoted and extremely close friends. They are only kidding me because my musical tastes are viewed by most who know me as an integral (albeit "quirky") part of my make up. It's an English habit to show the love for someone by affectionately  ribbing them over a difference. Think Bing and Bob.

The Christmas album I'd recommend if ever the occasion presented itself would be Bing's 1962 "I Wish You a Merry Christmas" which surely must count as one of his very best long players? The combination of Bob Thompson's arrangements and that resonant mature voice of Bing and the perfectly pitched choir make it a shimmering Christmas treat each year. It gives me goose bumps at each listen.

I first heard and owned an edited 1977 UK vinyl edition at aged sixteen and the season has never been the same since. Towards the end of my tenure running an independent record store, I was then delighted to discover some more songs from the original sessions which had been omitted from my old LP and subsequently featured with the rest of the tracks on an a Crosby Christmas EMI compilation CD. 

So Christmas came twice that year!

All I need now is an immaculate stereo pressing of the original vinyl and I'll die a happy man (well, after a more than few further Christmases, hopefully). 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (21/5/2022 2:42 am)

21/5/2022 3:12 am  #13

That's the same piano cover LP version I first bought! 
Wherever I am (even if balancing atop a step ladder, decoratively trimming), I always come to a sudden halt when I first hear, "Sleigh Bells ring, are ya' Listenin' …?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (21/5/2022 3:13 am)

24/5/2022 1:53 am  #14

As with you, Archiefit - I tend to keep my Christmas listening to the season itself and will seek your very special specials out when I'm mince pie baking or tree trimming. I had to listen to a CD copy of "A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra" when I purchased it just after Christmas in early January (I know!) just to check all was well and I didn't enjoy the experience as nearly as I should have done.

Speaking as you were of Bing internet radio channels, you reminded me of these and so have just sampled one, "Exclusively Bing Crosby".

I'm afraid if the first three songs were anything to go by, I'll have to internet search elsewhere as the very ending of each one was cut off by immediately being "auto crashed" with a station identification. Call me old fashioned and ungrateful (there's at least half a song, there) but a presenter slowly fading an end or speaking during a natural fade is one thing - but to snatch the very ending off a piece of music completely seems akin to snapping a rose from its stem.

A flower's not a flower if it's wilted
A song's not a song if it's jilted …       

… (and Sammy Cahn now grave-spins on being pilfered).

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (24/5/2022 3:23 am)

Board footera